Lever Guns that I'd like to see offered

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RVM45
Levergunner

Lever Guns that I'd like to see offered

Post by RVM45 »

.The title pretty well says it, except for the calibers.

#1} A nice light Lever Action in .32 H&R Magnum--Or whatever that new "Nee-Plus-Extra-Powered" .32 Magnum is called. The H&Rs and the S&W Longs should be usable as sub-loads.

#2} I've heard of them, though I've yet to see one. A nice Lever Action Carbine in .45ACP. Why? I always have plenty .45 ACP around--and I'm not Elmer Keith, shooting running jack rabbits at 100 yards. If times get hard, the Lever Action would probably add 50-60 feet to my reliable small game harvesting range.

People might also find use for a 9mm version and a 10mm. I'd be satisfied with .45ACP.

#3} Something in the new .....500 S&W Magnum. I know someone is getting ready to offer a .500 version--but its over $1000, if I remember correctly.....

It is like: Really Man! Be for Real!

.....RVM45 8) :shock: 8)
Stranded in The Twenty-First Century; Always a Citizen of The Twentieth Century.

UFOs Have to be Flying Saucers; I don't believe in Aeroplanes.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: Lever Guns that I'd like to see offered

Post by Thunder50 »

And if you had to use a rimmed cartridge, the 45AR would be good. Full length mag tube could hold a boat load of rounds. You could shoot 45 acp too if you didn't mind using a little screwdriver to extract the cases. Of course, looking at case specs, I wonder if you could shoot 45 AR in a 45 colt rifle, in a pinch? Case dia is a little big for the 45 AR case and the AR case is about .004 larger.

I would take the following calibers

357 Max (could shoot 357mag and 38 sp)
445 super mag (could shoot 44 mag and 44 sp)
500 S&W
327mag (also shoot 32 mag, 32 long colt)
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

To me, there is a big enough variety available in lever action rifles. I have all I need and almost all I want(which is very different) but I sure would like one of the Big Horn Model 89 carbines in .500 S&W. The price is just about $500 more than I want to pay. Joe Millers price point is around $500 and mine is $1300. The most I have ever paid is $1329 for a firearm. Any more than that and I get the heebie-jeebies. The Big Horn is like that, I want it but keep thinking of other firearms I want and could buy for that $500.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thunder50's thinking along the same lines as me as far as chamberings; basically take the longest straight-wall cases available in .32, .36, .45, and .50 calibers.

As for the gun/action, I'd like:
  • stainless/synthetic as at least an option
    easy to put good peep sights on for good lighting situations, but
    built-in scope mounts like the Rugers to slap on a scope for dawn/dusk use
    detachable box magazines that fit flush but holds at least 3-4 rounds
    protruding magazine available of 10-round capacity for protection against Zombies
    a short lever-throw so I can keep my thumb on the stock
    lots of calibers acceptable, but .44 Magnum mandatory
    exposed hammer so I can have it chambered but hammer 'down' if stalking game
Gosh - I guess I just described my Ruger 96/44, except for the exposed hammer, stock and finish... :lol:

It would be cool to have a 'hefty' frame but short lever-carbine chambered in:
  • .500 S&W
    .454 Casull
    .44 Mag (or SuperMag)
Then maybe a lighter-framed 'little buddy' companion one in:
  • .357 Mag (or Max)
    .32 Federal Mag
    .22 WRM (or maybe Hornet)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You might just get what you want. :D In the last 15 years, the gun companies have been pandering to the "niche" market. Give 'em a call or write 'em a letter.

Thats all a dealer has to do is put in an order for 500 guns of a special variation of an existing gun and he will get what he wants. My buddy Tom is talking about doing that on a Remington 40X variation in .22 L.R.-----------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would be sorely tempted by a Stainless steel Marlin 39a, chambered to .22 Magnum, but a straight-grip Mountie would definitely push me over the edge - CBS, rebounding hammer, et al..........

I'm thinkin, that only a slight redesign of the .LR action & mag tube ought to do it.

tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

A box fed lever gun, for Mag handgun cartridges
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

slow2run wrote:A box fed lever gun, for Mag handgun cartridges
You just described my primary deer rifle:
Ruger 96/44 Magnum

I use the side-lever stainless/synthetic version for rainy days:
Ruger 77/44 with its little buddy, Ruger 77/22
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

My wish would be for a '92 in .327 or .32 H&R Mag., CCH receiver, 22" half octagon barrel and button mag. Only safety to be half cock, no rebounding hammer, tang sight.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I would like a Browning BLR take down in 35 Whelen.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

This one's easy: .45 Colt, .44 mag, and .357 mag versions of the Mossberg lever gun. I'll buy a .357 the day I see it if it's priced in the low $400s and made in the U.S.A.

Added to that, I'd like to see the Henry rifles in pistol calibers offered with a smaller/lighter steel receiver and a round barrel or a half octagon option. Shorter barrels as well. Oiled or semi-gloss wood would be a nice option on them also.

Something new in 7-30 Waters would be good to keep that excellent cartridge alive. A new, lever gun friendly, 6.5mm round would be a welcome addition.

Lastly, I'd like to see the Italians give us some true Winchester 1894 replicas since the Belgians wont. Do them up nice in the more sought after variations of the original old model.

Oly
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I could go for a Browning BLR in 35 Whelen. Grey laminated stock would also be a hit with me.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My wants are simple. Lefthanded levergun. What with today's CNC machines, it can't be that hard. Make it and I'll buy it. Make it in different calibers and I'd probably buy one of each.

Now "if" someone made one to my specs.

Metalurgy/finish - stainless/matte
Caliber - 45-70
Barrel - 18"
Stock - straight grip synthetic (color isn't important, as long as it isn't garrish), but black is a great contrast to stainless
Mag tube length - full

Other details such as sights and scope mounting up to the manufacturer.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Please, a nice Uberti 1873 deluxe grade rifle in .22LR with 24" barrel.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Washita wrote:My wish would be for a '92 in .327 or .32 H&R Mag., CCH receiver, 22" half octagon barrel and button mag. Only safety to be half cock, no rebounding hammer, tang sight.
i am with you , and it would be nice if it handled the 327 federal as well as the other 32s
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

t.r. wrote:I could go for a Browning BLR in 35 Whelen. Grey laminated stock would also be a hit with me.

TR
pretty sure i did see one of those, exactly, in the local shop couple years back.....was sorely tempted
cable
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Washita and Cable said:
"My wish would be for a '92 in .327 or .32 H&R Mag., CCH receiver, 22" half octagon barrel and button mag. Only safety to be half cock, no rebounding hammer, tang sight."

"i am with you , and it would be nice if it handled the 327 federal as well as the other 32s _________."

+1 these. Make mine a 20" round barreled carbine. The octagonal Marlin H&R was too heavy--even though still short (20") barreled. I don't believe we'd see a "just" .32 H&R again, but .327 yes--put me in for a 92, or failing that - Marlin. Better yet, both so everyone will be happy! I would not expect or "insist" that the gun reliably feed the S&Ws also at this point, though it's a nice thought, but definitely the H&R, as it is basically the .327's "special" brother.

A few years ago, Taurus came very close to bringing an H&R out (teased us for a full year on the website)--not the 92 but the _?_ (same as their .22). Maybe they sensed the .327 overtaking and decided to wait. Maybe that's also giving them too much credit :-)

Like a lot of folks, I'd vote for a non-lawyered, top eject 94 from Belgium/Miroku--or failing that, Chiappa or Uberti.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I never understood why Ruger never offered the "Deer-slayer" auto in 45 Win-Mag, 9mm Win-Mag, 10mm, etc. The same would go for the Ruger 96 in any number of new hand gun cartridges both rimmed and rimless.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

t.r. wrote:I could go for a Browning BLR in 35 Whelen. Grey laminated stock would also be a hit with me.

TR
here is one even more impressive! 358 norma magnum with the laminated stock. just went up for sale on a local forum: [ this is not mine, i just saw it today ]

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... -Norma-Mag

he has a picture with it, bet he has more in it than he is asking!

" Browning Light Weight stainless BLR in .358 Norma Mag. 21 inch Montana Rifleman barrel. This gun is very accurate, will shoot sub-moa. I bought the gun new as a 7 mm Rem Mag. and had it re-barrelled for .358 Norma Mag. Also added an aftermarket recoil pad. Gun comes with Talley bases and 1" quick release rings. Redding reloading dies. 3 boxes of 50 ea. Swift 250 gr. A-Frames. 1 box of 50 ea. 280 gr. Swift A-Frames. 70 pieces of new brass. 77 rounds of ammunition, varying loads. 18 pieces of fired brass. I also have the original 7mm barrel. Asking $1250.00 or best offer.
Send a PM or call 907-529-4384. "
cable
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Old style saddle ring carbine 94 winchester chambered in a gummy point .338 type {federal,marlin?] type cartridge
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

+1 on a 45 ACP and a 9mm levergun.

I don't see why it can't be done without rimmed case.

A tube magazine doesn't need a rim to stop each cartridge. That can be done with properly fitted cartridge stops.

The S&W M1917 revolver's cylinder chambers were made with chambers cut such that the 45 ACP case headspaces without using clipped ammo, and so could a levergun chamber.

As for extraction, the 45 ACP case has a generous extractor groove and a Winchester '92 style extractor could be shaped to fit that groove without too much work.

I recall reading an article from an old issue of Rifle or Handloader where the author had a levergun converted to 45ACP and it was successful. IMO, if a current levergun mfr made it, "people would come."

I know I'd be in line.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Noah Zark wrote:I recall reading an article from an old issue of Rifle or Handloader where the author had a levergun converted to 45ACP and it was successful.
I think a year or so ago, a forum member posted here on the .45 ACP conversion he'd done to his Marlin.

Found these posts:
adirondakjack may have more on this topic.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

there were a number of winchester 92s in 45 acp brought back to usa from south america and sold here some years ago. they had been converted and worked quite well as i understand. dont know where the work was done. a few show up at auctions periodically
Last edited by hfcable on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cable
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

BLR ,walnut stock dull oil finish ,matte finish on the metal and back to steel just cus I'm old that way.6.5x55 or 257 Roberts would be great.