My Newest Bug Out Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

My Newest Bug Out Gun

Post by Swampman »

This one started out as a $200.00 Youth Combo. It had a (yuk!) black plastic stock and a .243 barrel. The .243 barrels are notoriously bad shooters so I sold it on eBay for $125.00. The shorter than standard length 20 guage barrel has a mod. choke. The stock is a Handi Camo Laminated factory stock I traded for. I modified the sling to work properly on this short gun. I have an elastic butt cuff shell holder, but I removed it for the picture. I want to send this satin nickle plated SB2 receiver back for a .357 barrel.

The butcher is a Queen Cutlery 7" that I found in an old hardware store in Athens, AL the blade is considerably thicker than an Old Hickory and it has rosewood scales. I could spend quite a while on my own hook, with what you see in the pic.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Excellent bugout choice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That should do the job nicely. The 20gauge and .357 bbls should work together great to put food on the table.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

With good planning and forethought; you have chosen wisely
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ain't them handi rifles great!

Mine is .30-30 and I just love it. I'm thinking of getting a .223 barrel for it as well. The lightweight .223 barrel also has rifle sights so I'm leaning that way.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
miestro_jerry
Levergunner

Post by miestro_jerry »

My Bug Out guns are a AR15 HBAR NM, My 1895 in 45-70 and my HiPower.

With a butt pack, I can carry enough ammo to stay fed and safe. I survived 8 years of the Army, they gave me knowledge which is the best bug weapon.

Jerry
Always lookin' to learn
Always ready to teach

NRA Patron Member
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I have a standard barrel nickel/stainless Handi in 223 which is a tack-driver, was gonna be my Maui Wild Goat rifle but things change. I think i'm gonna order the 44 mag barrel for it if H&R got their over-bore problem solved. Not sure what a Bug-Out gun is but suspect my "Shorty" would fit the bill.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have a youth 20ga handi. I painted it black so I could have a black gun too. I like what the slugs do to cans of pop. It's close to a trapdoor load. My brother was great at filling his quail bag with a similar 20. Good choice.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag

I avoid tactical & heavy weapons because they are too heavy to feed and carry IMO. They also tend to draw too much attention. In many areas a hunter walking down a country lane with a single shot shotgun would be ignored.

Also with the removal of 1 screw, this baby will fit in most packs in case you need to hitch a ride from a passing motorist or ride your bicycle.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I think you'd do just fine with that....nice setup. The single shot shotgun has a lot going for it as an all around gun. I would think that a Ruger Single Six in your pack would be kinda of nice too. Shotgun ammo tends to be heavy and 100 or 150 22's wouldn't be all that much to carry. If your shotgun goes belly up, then you have a small, lightweight back up. Quieter too.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Nice setup. Get a rifle barrel and you've got one heck of a combo.

Opinions on "Bug Out Gear" vary from person to person. Some people have small children or older realitives living with them so needs are different. I have been reading Jeff Coopers "The Art of the Rifle" and he describes an all purpose rifle as one you can hold at arms length, by the grip parallel to the body, for 60 seconds. If you can hold it comfortably then your ok, if its uncomfortable then your weapon may be too heavy. A good measurement to go by.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

swampman,great choice.I went with H&R 30-30 with a spare 20 guage barrel. Doug
a armed man is his own master
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

That's a nice looking Handi. I don't have a Ruger Single Six but I do have this Colt New Frontier.

loader
Levergunner 1.0

bug out gun

Post by loader »

I just picked up a first rate bug out gun myself.Savage 24J .22 Mag./3"20 guage combo.Have been looking for one with a 357 upper to match my Security Six but ran into this one for $300 and am quite pleased.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Please forgive my ignorance, and I'm kind of embarrassed to ask, but what is a Bug Out gun? I'm guessing it is one you keep ready with a pack of ammo in case of an emergency and you have to get going quick. Is that about right, or is there more to it?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

That's pretty much it. I want mine to be something that will feed me and my family if necessary. It goes with my Bug Out Bag (BOB) which contains things I consider necessay for my short term survival and comfort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag

I just sold a Savage 24 in 20/.30-30. It was really nice but heavy.

spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

Swampman
Tell me more about the notoriously inaccurate .243 barrel. I had one that also was not a great shooter. I just blamed the whole gun so to speak. Do you know what makes the .243 chambering a bad bet in this rifle?
spurgon
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I'm not really sure. I have read quite a few post on other boards that gave the .243 barrels bad marks for accuracy. I personally stay away from the rimless cartridges in the Handi. All the rimmed cartridges with the possible exception of the .22 Hornet are capeable of MOA accuracy.

Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

I've been sorta-kinda keeping an eye out for one of the Handi-Rifles in 30-30 for quite a while... Would like to add to it a 357 and 20ga. barrels.

So far, no candy.

That set up should serve you well, Swampman.

- Tristan
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Swampman wrote:That's a nice looking Handi. I don't have a Ruger Single Six but I do have this Colt New Frontier.

That Colt is gorgeous Swampman. Actually, everything in that photo is cool! I miss the old Imperial Jack knives...haven't had one in years. Can you tell us the make of the fixed blade knife?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

My friend Kid Couteau from Ron Hood's Hoodlums forum made me the fixed blade Nessmuk style knife. It's made from an old saw blade and it has walnut scales. The jack knife is a Case XX Camper.

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks Swampman. Your friend does nice work!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have checked out quite a few websites on the handi rifles, I have been wanting to get me one but have heard stories. I did see an article that said the .357 has just as much gap between the chamber and the lands in the .357 as does the .243. If I were you, I would save my money and spend it on some 00 buck and slugs for that 20 ga barrel. It will be just as good as the .357 IMO. But you definately got a nice gun!
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

This is my "bug out gun"

Its a springfield m6 scout .22 hornet over .410, It holds 12 rounds of .22 and 4 rounds of .410 in the stock and weighs just over 4 lbs In the bug out backpack is 25 rounds of 3'' 7 1/2, 15 rounds of 2 1/2 #4 and 10 rounds of 3" 000 buck. When all loaded the pack weighs about 25lbs with cloths, food, supplies, sleeping kit. I always have my leatherman, spyderco, phone and cash with me so I have that end set.
Break on through to the other side!!!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I like the M6 but they are expensive and hard to find. Most Handi Rifles in the rimmed cartridges including the .357 are highly accurate. Having a .357 barrel will allow me to use the same ammo (.38 Specials) in my Combat Masterpiece, Model 36, or my .357 Ruger Flattop.

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

The bag contains the following

Opinel folder
Magnesium fire block
Waterproof matches
Bic Lighter
Dale Chudzinski Nessmuk knife
Gerber Folding Saw
6" stainless steel bowl for cooking and eating out of
4" stainless bowl to cook and drink out of
1 Spork
Surgical Gloves
Polar Fleece Gloves
1 Mosquito Head Net
1 Quart Nalgene bottle
US GI Poncho
First Aid Kit
Small Roll TP
50 Ft of Para Cord
Emergency Whistle
1 large Compass & 1 small compass
US GI Casuality Blanket
Space Blanket
A few premoistened towlettes
Water Purification Tablets
Several Large Trash Bags
Various Zip Lock Bags
8-10 Granola Bars
A Sock Full of Rice
Some Chicken Bullion Cubes
1 Box (25)of #6 shot
1 Box (5)Slugs

I need some fishing/trot line gear....

Any other suggested changes or mods would be welcome.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

here is what my bug out gun looks like: [img][img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... /socum.jpg[/img]

5 clips for the Socum and my Sig220.45 would be the serious combo for me. I have a scout scope mounted on the socum. [/img]
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I had one. Too heavy and unsuitable for hunting. Cool though!

Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

rjohns94 wrote:here is what my bug out gun looks like: [img][img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... /socum.jpg[/img]

5 clips for the Socum and my Sig220.45 would be the serious combo for me. I have a scout scope mounted on the socum. [/img]
Yeah! Now that's what I'm talking about! Been saving my cash for a Scout. Nice rifle.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

not sure why you would say unsuitable for hunting. I have hunted in Virginia with an M1A, a Garand, An H&K 91, all very suitable for deer/bear/ground hogs, etc. Yes I agree that they are hearvier than a lever, but any rifle that has proven itself in battle, is more than adequate for deer.
Mike Johnson,

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice rifle Mike!

Here's mine w/ my 94S, 45Colt. My bug out guns. the 14 actually carries quite well. and I don't think a hundred rounds of 308 weigh any more than 100 shogun shells.
I've hunted w/ my other M 14 quite a few times.

I do like the Handi rifles and shot guns. I have this Survivor 12 gage that I sometimes pack on my dirt bike when trail riding. But it dosen't break down any smaller than my AR Lightweight. But if I have a wipe out on the bike and the NEF gets damaged it's not as big a deal as busting up a $900.00 AR.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:shock: stop it, just stop teasing me :lol: :lol:
I like that single, avery versatile platform.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

rjohns94 wrote:not sure why you would say unsuitable for hunting. I have hunted in Virginia with an M1A, a Garand, An H&K 91, all very suitable for deer/bear/ground hogs, etc. Yes I agree that they are hearvier than a lever, but any rifle that has proven itself in battle, is more than adequate for deer.
Can you kill a squirrel or rabbit with it and still have dinner?

Mine weighs less than 5lbs and I don't draw a lot of negative attention. It's just an ole shotgun. Not a scarry black rifle. I went through the semi phase and sold them all when I thought Al Gore might become President.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have only two semi-s the socum, and the sig. Don't have to shoot a squirrel with the socum or a rabbit for that matter. Could use the Sig for that. Or out of my bugout bag, I could use my take down longbow, a snare, or leg hold trap or my 3" smith j frame. Thought being, that if I set up camp far away, the snare, trap can hunt while I sleep and conserve energy. The Socum is for defending territory. Not saying its for everyone and I wasn't putting your choice down, as I said in my first post to you, nice choice and nice weapon.
Mike Johnson,

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Swampman, been a hoodlum since before the site started. Great site. Based on my military training, and my love for the outdoors, I put together a bugout bag some 30 years ago and for Christmas one year, I put together one for my brother. Over the years, I have varied it based on how how far I thought I had to travel, what the scenario I thought would cause the need for it, purpose etc. At one point, I had property in the hills of Virginia with items stashed and I even considered putting in a fall out shelter at one point. Over the years, I have walked into national forest with my bugout bag and spent a week just using the items there. My bugout bag has always been less than 30 pounds and at one time, I spent a week with my bugout fitting into a fanny pack. I sold the property in Virginia when I moved for work and travel was too far. My current scenario is this, should the Gov't determine that they are going to come knock on my door for my firearms, I'm not going to be there. I have a large sailboat rigged with all provisions for life at sea, long enough to get "there". So I have the mindset of getting my family to the boat. My bug out bags actually are set right now for multi tasking. One is set for a week or two alone in the wild because I like doing that. I have an urban survival bag which covers getting through the city and home (52 miles one way each day). I have a bag I take on long bike rides. I have my hunting/fishing bag. And I have a master list and supplies for at home hunkering down. In each, the weapons I choose are different but in no case am I worried about what others may think (ie, the Socum is aggressive looking). I choose it for the function of what I feel I would need it for. For food gathering longterm, I would choose anything from trapping, archery, Air rifle, shotgun, .22, BP, Levergun etc. There is a scenario (Heaven forbid) that I would prefer a Socum (or any other battle rilfe) to a 20 gauge shotgun. I don't intend to prempt my choice by giving up the semi for the possibility that at some time in the future, the Gov't is going to want to take them away. When they come after the Semi's, they are going to want the levers, the pistols, the shotguns and anything else we might hurt ourselves with. Just my humble opinion. All that said, I still like your choice, your reasons for it, and it looks great too!
Mike Johnson,