OT: Firefox users...HELP!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Firefox users...HELP!

Post by awp101 »

Over the New Year's weekend, my laptop picked up a virus. The techs at work couldn't pull it out (a trojan of some sort) and had to wipe the hard drive. Spent last night transferring files from my desktop to the laptop and re-downloading different AV stuff as well as Firefox.

I know Firefox worked last night but this evening it doesn't connect. I know it's not my homepage, etc because it all works properly on my desktop. The only difference between the desktop and laptop (well, other than the laptop being easier to hold on the couch than the desktop :lol: ) is the laptop runs Vista (yuck, ptooie) and the desktop XP.

I've been running FF and Avira AV since Oct when this laptop was given to me so I know it works with Vista. What I can't figure out is why it worked last night but tonight it won't connect. IE connects so I know it's not an internet issue.

Anyone run into this before? I'm pretty sure it's a setup issue or conflict of some sort but I don't have the first clue as to where to start looking and what I should or shouldn't change.

Thanks!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Firefox users...HELP!

Post by JReed »

Have you tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling. It may have just glitched on you my FF was acting goofy a few months back and that is what I did no problems since.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I had a trojan one time that disabled my Firefox (among other things). I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, but that only worked for a short while. Then, I installed and ran "Spybot", and it resolved the problem. It seems to dig even deeper than Norton.

You can download it FOR FREE here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Good luck!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Jeremy, that hasn't worked so far. I've even gone so far as to re-d/l it totally with no dice.

Bogie, they did a full restore on the hard drive.

Whatever trojan it was, Avira, SpyBot and MalwareBytes couldn't find it.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Did you look under the "File" menu and make sure "Work Offline" was not checked? Simplistic solution, I know, but sometimes Firefox sets that when it has a connection problem.

Also some of my applications have to have the LAN set to automatically detect settings in order to work. Then on other days, for some strange reason, I have to turn the auto detect off for it to work.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Wish I could help. I have been running Fire Fox for a few years and so far its been a dream.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Me, too. I use FF but on a large screen iMac. Zero virus issues.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Have you tried running rkill http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downloa ... irus/rkill

All it does it stop some bad processes, so your AV or malware software can find and remove the bad stuff. sometimes you have to run a scan multiple times.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

In firefox, go to the tools menu, select options. In the options screen, select the advanced tab. select system defaults, and check for Firefox to be the default browser.

What's going on is Internet Explorer wants to be default.

rimrock
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Well, turns out Vista (yuck, ptooie) doesn't play well with ZoneAlarm and once I uninstalled ZA firefox started working again.

As handy and useful as I find computers, they really annoy me... :evil:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Andy, it's a good idea to have several browsers installed on your computer in case you have a virus infection. Many times the virus will enter through one browser and will work through that browser but you might be able to side step the virus by downloading a fix via a different browser. I made that mistake once before because I tried to get rid of all traces of Windoze. I ended up having to download Chrome to fix my problem. Ever since then I have kept 3 browsers on hand.
They don't take up much space, I just don't let it download all the tool bars and be careful which one you allow to be your default browser.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.