.348 Winchester Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

.348 Winchester Ammo

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I noticed today that .348 Winchester ammunition went from "Out of Stock - Seasonal Run" to "Discontinued by Manufacturer" sometime in the last couple of days at MidWayUSA. I guess that last run was all of it they will ever make. They obviously sold all they made ... for $550 a case at Midway no less.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Re: .348 Winchester Ammo

Post by WinM71 »

I expected this back in the mid-80s, before Browning did their 71 copy. Oh well, hope everybody with a 71 has put back all the factory ammo they'll need. The real worry is cases, you'd suspect if they're not going to make ammo, they won't run cases either. That's a real problem.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :evil:
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I expected Winchester to discontinue making .348 years ago, but every so often they'd push another batch out the door. I haven't seen .348 available on the shelves for quite a while now. I had decided to sell 7 boxes of new .348 ammo. Guess I'll hold on to it.
Last edited by mod71alaska on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I am glad I am stocked up with several boxes, and brass. However, I believe that someone will make brass, maybe Starline, after all, 348 brass is the parent case for the 50 Alaskan, even the 475 Turnbill, not to mention the 450 Alaskan.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Look here guys, don't sweat it. This is America where capitalism is at it's finest. When one door closes, another opens up.

Today we can find cases for the 50 Maynard, 40 cal Peabody or the 42 caliber whee-bop (I made that one up) :D In our lifetime, .348 cases will always be available.

Its not like back in the 50's,60's, 70's, or the 80's when obsolete cases had to be formed or turned on a lathe. Today we have everything and will continue to have everything in our lifetime----as long as we have shooters and Model 71's to shoot them in.

Man, I gotta go and get ready for the Leesport, Pa gunshow. Sure hope they have .348 cases for sale. :D --------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'm still sittin' on 400 rds .348 and over 200 pieces brass. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Buffalo Bore and Grizzly Cartridge both load it. Anyone can reload it too.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Bought 2000 cases back when they were $115/500. Never did like the factory silver tip for anything tougher than a weenie whitetail anyway so don't miss the ammo.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I noticed today that .348 Winchester ammunition went from "Out of Stock - Seasonal Run" to "Discontinued by Manufacturer" sometime in the last couple of days at MidWayUSA. I guess that last run was all of it they will ever make. They obviously sold all they made ... for $550 a case at Midway no less.
How many rds in a case of 348 winchester? 200? $55/box
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

big bear wrote:
Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I noticed today that .348 Winchester ammunition went from "Out of Stock - Seasonal Run" to "Discontinued by Manufacturer" sometime in the last couple of days at MidWayUSA. I guess that last run was all of it they will ever make. They obviously sold all they made ... for $550 a case at Midway no less.
How many rds in a case of 348 winchester? 200? $55/box
There are 200 rounds in a case ... 10 boxes of 20 each.

I've got 2 cases left and 100 pieces of new brass. I need to stock up on bullets though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Postponing going out in the cold to finish up preparing a blacktail deer(2x2) I got yesterday with my old win71 :) 50yds, snap shot, big hole went 10yds, now the hard work, snowed overnight,cold outside and my old joints ache (but I could be getting up under a tarp getting ready to go look for a buck if I hadn't got lucky yesterday).....anyways, how much brass would be "enough" ? I know you can never have too much ammo, but how much brass for an "obsolete" calibre is enough. I have 2 sons and plan to give a 71 to both of them when they give me grandkids, how much brass should go with the rifle? I shoot a bunch, doubt they will, but you never know. Every time someone here says :o :o no more 348Win brass I've scrouged up a bunch, now I keep finding bags of it when I clean my gun room. Do we need to mount a run on Hornady 348 bullets as well now ,(the barnes stuff is too expensive to hoard) ? Finally does someone here work for Winchester and they just want us to move some inventory?
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I would think 200 brass would be a reasonable minimum to pass on with the rifle, 400 or 500 would be very comfortable.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

WinM71 wrote:I would think 200 brass would be a reasonable minimum to pass on with the rifle, 400 or 500 would be very comfortable.
Well I guess I'd better get scrounging, and my sons had better get.....busy :oops:
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

A hundred rounds of new brass will get you at least 5 or 6 hundred rounds of shooting - that's a lot of big game hunting. Bullets are what really need stocking. Hornady only runs batches of 348 bullets as well.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I've got some factory and all the brass and bullets I'll ever need.!

Sad though that Winchester would give up on one of their own!

:cry:
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

I think maybe the sky is not falling. Checked two of my sources for 348 stuff, one had 10 bags of brass, the other 30bags. Both had lots of Hornady bullets. And when push comes to shove you can always shoot cast bullets, 250gr GC hard cast bullet will shoot pretty near stem to stern most things o this continent. Any nervous guys should probably lay in a supply of 348 gas checks also :o
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Winchester officially discontinued their last loading - the 200 gr Silvertip - in 1978.

They have made more since then, obviously. There were over 65,000 rifles made (Winchester, Browning, & Cimmarron) and most are still shoot-able out there. They all have dedicated owners who need fresh ammo. I am confident capitalism will prevail & we'll have more factory runs.

Let's hope three dollars per round was a fad... :shock:
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein