Check Your Remington 30-30 Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Check Your Remington 30-30 Ammo

Post by Sarge »

Back in October, I received word from ‘Blake’ in Georgia regarding insufficient crimps and irregular seating he noticed in several boxes of new Remington 30-30 ammunition.

My experience with this guy is that he’s genuine- not someone who’d post a BS complaint. Blake followed with photos and lot numbers of the affected ammunition, his correspondence with Remington and today, his receipt of replacement ammo- which did not meet his expectations. Of the new, replacement ammunition, he writes:

“I can grab some by the case and push them against the notepad on my desk and push the bullet back just far enough that the marks on the bullet slide under the brass.”

The story and pictures are posted at Sarge’s Roll Call for anyone who is interested. The direct URL to that article is http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2010 ... html#links

At the very least, this should provide incentive to give your hunting ammunition a good hard look before you poke your rifle full of it and head off to the woods.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Check Your Remington 30-30 Ammo

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks for the heads up, I have a box of Remington in the mountains; I will check them.
kid_couteau
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kid_couteau »

This reminds me of something I told a friend of mine

Told him to take the factory ammo he used for defense and to crimp it in his reloading setup

Guess that goes for hunting ammo as well.

Kid
Live with honor, ride with truth. Be friendly to others. But always carry a gun on your side and a knife in your boot because there are those that do not feel the same as this.

My knife and leather website

www.kidcouteau.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Very little neck tension in that ammo. I've seen this with R-P and W-W factory revolver ammo too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'll check it out and run it thru the Lee Crimper if necessary. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lee FCD will not help the insufficient neck tension. Might keep the bullets from being pushed back into the cases, but that's all.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:Lee FCD will not help the insufficient neck tension. Might keep the bullets from being pushed back into the cases, but that's all.

Joe
Ok, explain what happens with insufficient neck tension :?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Neck tension is the case neck's 'grip' on the bullet before any crimp is applied. It is, generally speaking, a function of a properly-sized expander die and the resiliency of the brass itself.

A good crimp will hold the bullet (and should be applied in any cartridge destined for tubular magazines) but neck tension, per se, is a separate element.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Doesn't good neck tension contribute to accuracy . The bullets leaves the cartridge not cocked with good tension. Don't know if it that's a big deal with 30-30 if you give it a good crimp and shooting under 100 yards.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sarge wrote:Neck tension is the case neck's 'grip' on the bullet before any crimp is applied. It is, generally speaking, a function of a properly-sized expander die and the resiliency of the brass itself.

A good crimp will hold the bullet (and should be applied in any cartridge destined for tubular magazines) but neck tension, per se, is a separate element.
Thanks Sarge, that's absolutely correct.
BenT wrote:Doesn't good neck tension contribute to accuracy . The bullets leaves the cartridge not cocked with good tension. Don't know if it that's a big deal with 30-30 if you give it a good crimp and shooting under 100 yards.
Ben,
You are correct, and yes it is a big deal even with a 30-30 under 100 yds. Proper neck tension contributes to proper ignition of the powder and consistency.
The crimp on ammo destined for tubular magazines is just insurance against the bullet being shoved back into the case in the magazine.
I don't use a really heavy crimp on my 30-30 ammo, just enough to roll the case mouth into the crimp grove. The bullets in my ammo are held firm by the case neck.

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

With cast, you need less tension (shaves too much lead) and a heavy crimp :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

-quote="BlaineG"]With cast, you need less tension (shaves too much lead) and a heavy crimp :wink:[/quote]
With cast I set my expander plug to form the very slightest of "bells" on the case mouth as my .309-.310 GC boolits have MORE neck tension and I avoid shaved lead.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

With the limited numbers of cast 30-30s I've loaded I used a Lyman "M" die and a Lee FCD. No shaved lead and them projies ain't budging till the powder kicks 'em down range.

Joes
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've got the same ancient set of RCBS 30-30 dies I've been using since the 70's. I originally had sloppy neck tension and it didn't take me long to yank that expander, chuck it in a drill and apply progressively finer emery cloth until it lost a few thousandths. Neck tension was definitely not a problem after that. Sometime later I acquired a LEE factory crimp die and between the two of them, my bullets flat stay put. The accuracy these old dies have produced makes me hope they outlast me- by at least a few days ;)

FWIW I have used a lot of Winchester Power Point, old-school Silvertip and some of their HP loads; all 150 grain and all from the days when I (and several others) regularly carried a 94 as a LE carbine, and factory loads were the order of the day. I never had a bullet move in any of them.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

BlaineG wrote:I'll check it out and run it thru the Lee Crimper if necessary. :wink:
+ 1 on that!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Griff wrote:-quote="BlaineG"]With cast, you need less tension (shaves too much lead) and a heavy crimp :wink:
With cast I set my expander plug to form the very slightest of "bells" on the case mouth as my .309-.310 GC boolits have MORE neck tension and I avoid shaved lead.[/quote]

I use a "M" die problem solved with cast.
pete
DAV life member.