.30-06 commercial deer loads?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

.30-06 commercial deer loads?

Post by awp101 »

The past couple of days, The Boy aka my 19 y/o stepson has been asking questions about rifles and gun shops but has been very vague when I try to pin down WHY he's asking.

Today he finally told me that his Dad is taking him deer hunting at some point this season. He wants a .30-06 and was looking at them yesterday. Now he can't even afford a free lunch right at this point in time so I offered him the use of my Springfield 1903 that a previous owner converted to a single shot and installed a scope mount. The caveat is that he provide the ammo and it has to be enough for me to sight it in and then let him practice with (I'm thinking three boxes should be sufficient).

He doesn't know for sure where the place is but he thinks it's in East Tx. I'm guessing the range will be under 125yds.

All I have on hand is milsurp FMJ and I've never bought commercial -06 since I've never used one on a hunt. Am I remembering correctly that 180g is probably the most common commercial loading?

Thanks!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .30-06 commercial deer loads?

Post by 86er »

Federal Fusion in 165 grain or the Rem Core Lokt in 150 gr.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

All of mine are loaded w/ the 150 gr. Remington Core Lokt this year. I have some Federal and Hornady that are probably every bit as good, but the Core Lokt has always performed well (very well) for me.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ah, 150-165g. I knew the 150g were suitable for the Garand but I don't have a clue where I came up with 180g... :lol:

I might have him pick up a box of WWB just to see as well.

Thanks!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Like 86er said. These will most likely be on sale at Cabelas... The Remingtons work fine and 150 is plen-t for deer.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
shooter444002
Levergunner

Post by shooter444002 »

180gr will work just fine too using rem corelok or win powerpoint. I load 180gr sierra roundnoses to shoot out of my browning 95 06. round nose usually opens up a little quicker with more exposed lead on the tip.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The Federal 150's work best for me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I've killed deer with Remington corelokts, Winchester powerpoints. Federal blue box, Frontier with hornady PSP's in 150 and 180. It all depends on how the rifle performs with each type. As has been said, the 150's are plenty for deer, but (no new news) shot placement shot placement, shot placement!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Cheap, relatively, 150 grain reington corelocks = dead deer 8)
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I used to use either Remington or Federal 150 factory loads in my 30-06. Both shot into an inch at 100 yards and killed deer just fine.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I prefer to use the Winchester 180gr power-points. Tennis ball to golf ball sized group at 200yds out of my old Savage 110E.

They seem to fly true and kill dead.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

geobru wrote:As has been said, the 150's are plenty for deer, but (no new news) shot placement shot placement, shot placement!
I've been drilling that into him and it was part of our conversation again today. If I had an operable 7x57 repeater with glass right now, I'd send him out with that. :lol:

FWIW I was at Wally World tonight and they have the Win and Rem offerings for under $20/box so I'll have him pick some up next week.

Thanks again all! :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Several years ago a local gun show was closing it's doors and I picked up thirty some-odd boxes of Remington 150 CL for $5.00 a box, all he had left. I'm now down to about 4 boxes and am cleaning brass to reload for the next 20 years :lol: . Over the years the Remington CL bullets performed to the point I'm seriously thinking about reloading with them instead of the Sierra bullets I usually use. In today's market of "premium" bullets the Core-Lokt still holds it own when it comes to bringing home the meat.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

For factory ammunition, I also like the Remington 180 grain Core Lokt. However, my sporterized 1943 Smith Corona 03-A3 shoots the best groups with PMC 180s.

I've tried 150s, and 165s (Hornady) in handloads, but the 180s (also handloaded Hornady) shoot best in my rifle.