OT: "Fogging Day" (Put the boat away for the winter...)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: "Fogging Day" (Put the boat away for the winter...)

Post by Old No7 »

"Heavy sigh....................." :cry:

Not a great day today all, it being Fogging Day here in Maine...

For those not in-the-know, this sad day is when you drain the lower unit lube, refill it, pull off all the needed stuff (and accumulated junk), put the Fogging Oil to the cylinders of the outboard -- and then put 'er away until the next season.

Yes, it will be a long 5 to 5.5 months until my new-to-me Arima fishing boat sees the light of day again...

Here in the northeast, without a garage that's big enough for this boat, and not wanting to pay about "half a levergun" on inside storage elsewhere, it's important to make a structure that will shed the snow and ice really well. I thought some of the things I did this year might provide some ideas to others who face the same dilemma...

On my old 15' bow-rider, I had a low cover which was fairly flat, but we could easily reach it to shovel any built-up snow or ice off the cover. Since the roof of my Arima is 10' off the ground, that wouldn't be possible this year, so I designed a cover high enough to really shed the snow or ice off the tarp.

From this bow-on shot, you can see there's very little area where snow will build up before it slides right to the ground. The basic frame is wood and there are braces of plywood in key spots to take the load. My older brother used to use 2" PVC pipes for the basic framing, but those those didn't hold up after a few years. When we were growing up, we always used wood for its strength and some "give" if the wind hits it hard. Those PVC pipes work well for liquids and if supported well, but when full of air and unsupported -- they had no strength at all. So I went with a wooden base frame.
Winter Cover 2010 (1) (Small).jpg
From this angle, you can see the ribs which go down each side and form a whale-skeleton-like shape (that's what my daughter said when she was inside it, she felt "just like Jonah".) Despite what I said about larger PVC pipes, the ribs are 3/4" PVC pipes covered with cheap pipe insulation. Since I wanted a steep angle to shed the snow, I used a heat gun to form the ribs around the top beam. After about 25 seconds on high, the PVC would give and you could bent it to shape; then remove the heat and she'll cool in the shape I needed.
Winter Cover 2010 (3) (Small).jpg
Here's a shot from the stern quarter, and you can also see the wooden A frames which support the top beam. That's only a piece of strapping, but it's secured along its length and with no snow on it, I'm sure it will hold up well. You get a good view of the extreme pitch of the roof on this shot too, especially once you get past the cabin. Sharp-eyed viewers may see all the white wire zip-ties we used to secure the PVC ribs to the frames and beam. Then we used black electrical tape to secure the foam insulation. Any sharp spots were covered with pieces of old carpeting stapled in place.
Winter Cover 2010 (8) (Small).jpg
Finally, here is she is -- at this point my daughter referred to her as a "giant silver armadillo!" I guess that's OK, she gave me 1.5 days of help, so she can call it what she wants. Next year, if there's no bigger garage available as an option, we should be able to do the job in less time as we'll only have to do the assembly and no "engineering" (thinking, testing things, measuring, cutting, re-measuring and re-cutting a few times :shock: etc...).
Winter Cover 2010 (9) (Small).jpg
So now we're facing 5+ months of a too-long and too-cold winter (and it hasn't even started yet... :!: ) until we rise and spend half a day cutting dozens of zip-ties and unwrapping yards of black tape. Luckily, we wrapped the last 1/2 inch of the tape back on itself to serve as a "tab", so we won't have to hunt for all the ends to undo.

Ah well, it was a great summer while it lasted, but Fogging Day came too soon once again...

Protect your boats and keep your powder dry... And maybe now, with this big chore out of the way, I can get over to the range a few times before deer season hits.

Tight groups,

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: "Fogging Day" (Put the boat away for the winter...)

Post by Ben_Rumson »

That looks very serviceable indeed... Well done..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Wow! now that is some impressive back yard engineering. :D You will have to give an update once the snow hits and let us know how it holds up.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Good job. I've yet to do mine. Did you pull the hubs and service/lube the bearings? That's always the job I hate most. Also, you may want to form some covers for the tires. UV kills them before mileage does.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hmm, now there's a reason I'm glad I live in SoCal on the beach. Never had to prep a boat for winter storage, much less snow. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"giant silver armadillo"...

Actually, it does look like one! :lol:
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

That sure looks like a huge tarp. Is it all one piece?
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Here's some responses to your comments or questions...
"You will have to give an update once the snow hits and let us know how it holds up."
OK Gunny, I'll keep that in mind!
"Did you pull the hubs and service/lube the bearings? That's always the job I hate most."
Nope, I usually do that job in the spring. It's funny, as I do always enjoy doing that job -- but maybe that's because I work behind a desk and it's an honest & easy way to get my hands really DIRTY. :wink:
"Also, you may want to form some covers for the tires."
Yes, I do cover them, but only after she's wheeled in tight next to the garage. I also jack up the trailer to take the weight off the tires/wheels/springs.
"That sure looks like a huge tarp. Is it all one piece?"
That's (2) 24' x 30' tarps, with about 3' overlapped. I plan to add one bigger (and cheaper) blue tarp over those two, to help them last longer (as they were the more expensive double-layered silver/brown tarps from Lowes).

As much as I miss using the boat, at least now I hope to get time for some shooting and hunting! :!:

Tight groups,

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

We always waited for the first weekend of November ( we're a little farther South).

The Old Man had a 40' sailboat and had a real canvas tarp for it. :shock:
That thing had to weigh 200 lbs.!!!
After the Boss' boat was covered we then tackled the speed boat.
There were several of those. 16'-24'.

I had such a rough childhoood :oops:

I'm between boats and kinda missing "Flogging Day".

Sorta :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"