OT: 22 Years Ago Today...Challenger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

OT: 22 Years Ago Today...Challenger

Post by PaperPatch »

The Crew of the Space Shuttle Challenger perished shortly after lift-off.

It doesn't seem that long ago...and I can still remember that I was changing the pilots side windscreen on a Piper Cheyenne, when the news came.

What were you guys doing???
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I was in my 6th grade science class when the priciple came on the loud sspeaker and announced it.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was standing outside doing a pretrip on a truck I was about to go out on when I happened to look up and see the screwy lookin contrail. I went inside to tell our manager to come look at it, that was when he told me what it was from.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I was in my second year of A&P school, found out in between classes. We spent the rest of the day glued to the TV. The only thing I can compare it to was 9/11/01, when I was working for United Airlines. :cry:
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I was in Center City Phila, same place I was when Chernobyl melted down.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

watching it on tv
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I was at my locker in High School when someone told me about it.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I was driving a delivery van in Austin, TX and heard it on the radio.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I was at the MACS-7 Squadron HQ at MCAS Yuma picking up mail for the Marines working in our Electronics Mantenance Unit at the P-111 remote tactical radar/HAWK missile site.

There was a small TV on in the S-1 office, and about 20 Marines had gathered to watch after the explosion, during the first replays. We were standing and watching the event unfold in total silence.

The Squadron Legal Officer wandered by and made a flippant remark about "No big deal, we've got 3 more of them."

The Squdaron XO turned to look directly at her and said "Shut Up, Lieutenant."

... and we just kept watching...

:(
Last edited by FWiedner on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

I was on a machinery buying trip in Gadston Al, in the office watching the lift off, didnt seem that long ago...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Had a friend who was an astronaut at the time. He was involved in the investigation. Subsequently went up twice and held the space walk record for a time. They were naturally all quite shaken with it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

Told about it in boot camp, first time I ever knew a drill instructor could cry. :(
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I was working at a International Harvester dealer and ernie came out of the part's room and said it blew up. Nobody believed him as he was a joker. Very quiet in the shop when we realized he wasn't kidding.
Karl
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I was in college. Hard to believe it has been that long...
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I was a sophomore at The Citadel. I was returning to my room after a morning class when a member of my company ran out of his room yelling that the space shuttle had just blown up. A very sobering moment in my life.

bogie
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I too was in college. I had the take the GF (I wonder whatever happened to her?) to the eye doctor. Watched it on the waiting room tv. A very bad day indeed.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I had one of those foot-in-mouth moments that day.

I was working as a bartender in a local bar at the time, and walked in the door to a room full of people sitting in stoney silence. I walked in, looked around the room and spouted: "Sure is quiet in here...who the hell died." One of the old men at the bar just pointed to the TV...

Ed
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I was at the deli/sandwich bar in Misawa AFB Japan. Just standing in line waiting to place my order. They had a television hanging off the ceiling but nobody was paying much attention since a shuttle launch was pretty much a routine thing at that time. I think I let out a four letter word when it went off and immediately got the attention of everyone in the place. Those AF types were pretty much straight and narrow from my experience and didn't know how to respond to an old salt. I heard a few comments about the slovenly nature of sailors and the Navy in general until they realized what had my attention. Everyone went very quiet for a long time before the conversation erupted again. No one could really believe what had happened.

It was another one of those events that you know will change things, you just didn't know how or how much. Sort of like the Kennedy assassination and 9/11. You tend to remember where you were when and how you heard the news.
Well done is better than well said.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I was in 4th grade we were watching the launch in class when it all went wrong. :( We didnt do much class work after that.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I was getting ready to chew the other residents for standing around watching TV during rounds.

One memorable thing about it was how at the point one smoke trailgoing up instantaneously became three smoke trails going at other angles (none continuing even remotely on the same path), it was painfully obvious that a catastrophic and unsurvivable incident had happened, but the BUBBLE-HEADED news chick said something like "Oooh... how beautiful...!" and the SNAIL-BRAINED news guy said something like "Yes, there's tremendous power in those engines..." Now I know not everyone takes physics in school, but I just couldn't believe how the dumb news people kept blabbering on, and seemed genuinely confused that something that "beautiful" could have somehow been a bad thing.

Another observation we had (we were rounding on alot of terminally ill and brain-dead patients in an intensive care unit that day), was that although it was obviously a deep loss for the families, and a tragedy the nation would mourn, what better way to go than on one of the most incredible adventures imaginable, and have it happen so instantaneously, as opposed to the slow deterioration faced by so many people who have as the backdrop for their battle with cancer or stroke just an ordinary life of work at the office, pay bills, save for vacation.

What a dull world we'd all live in, and how few discoveries would have been made, however, were it not for those who dare to risk their lives exploring or adventuring or inventing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I was assigned to the 308th Missile maintaince squadron Little Rock AFB, Ar.
I had worked late the night before, I set my alarm to get me up just before launch. I got up with just enough time to pour a cup and turn on the tube.
With a great deal of pride as an American I had watched all of the previous launches and was not going to miss this one. I can remember thinking something has gone terribly wrong as I watched the exhaust from the SRB's begin to cork screw. I watched the replay time and again with the same sense of disbelief and sadness.
I later went on to work at the Kennedy Space Center for 15 years, supporting the Space Shuttle program. I rebuilt and tested the Hydraulic latching valves that Isolate the hydraulic systems aboard the Space Shuttle during flight. As I preformed my daily duties I always had Challenger in the back my mind. Good was never good enough.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I was in High School.. stayed home that day for some reason, maybe a snow storm. Had spent the day and the night before assembling an R/C car kit and had gone outside to take some photos of it in the snow. When I came back in, I sat down and watched the launch. Every once in a while I'll come across those pictures and think about what happened only moments later.
Slow is just slow.