Freedom Arms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Freedom Arms

Post by HEAD0001 »

Whose has Freedom Arms revolver in 454?? Tell me what you think about the revolver, please.

I have always wanted one, but never bought one. I am thinking it may be time.

How do you guys like the sights?? I have shot a few(manhy years ago). And I really liked the sights on the Sil. model, but that model is not available in 454, and that is the cartridge I would like to get.

How adjustable are the sights on the Premier and Field grade revolvers??

Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks, Tom.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: Freedom Arms

Post by Kansas Ed »

Both Buck Elliot and I have had our hands in building those at the factory. It's one of the high points in my very varied career. Mostly because I knew that they were art in motion. Back in the 90's when I was at the factory in Freedom we were most commonly referred to as "The Rolls Royce of Handguns" by the print media. I know of no better way to describe them. The tolerances which are held in these revolvers make "aircraft standards" look lame.......And I left there to work aircraft in Wichita. They are the one company who IMO never sacrificed quality for bottom line. That in large part is due to Wayne Bakers insistence that they be perfect.

My advice...buy the Premier Grade. They have better finish and fit. They also come with lifetime warranty. My preferred sights are the "express" sights...IE: bead front, and wide v-notch rear. My preferred bbl length is 6". Preferred grips are winewood. Avoid the Pachmyr, as a day full of shooting will tear up your hands. Also recommended is the 45LC cylinder...shooting 45LC in the 454 will cause chamber buildup, which may require a chamber reamer to clean out over time. If you don't want to spend for the extra cylinder, it's easy enough to download the 454 to 45LC ballistics. Just always use 454 brass in the 454 cyl. Also...go to the website and read Bob Bakers bullet recommendations. A lot of people refuse to accept the fact that soft core bullets will eat the forcing cone on that high pressure cartridge. And I've seen enough eroded forcing cones to know that Bob is spot on. this is due to the high chamber pressures that other handgun cartridges don't have to deal with. One other thing...avoid the removable forcing cone bushing....cost of replacement is about the same as replacing the barrel.....so it's no gain for extra money.

My ultimate advice is buy one now. I promise you will never regret the decision.

Ed
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I got my first taste of the Freedom Arms 454 in 1986 and have never been sorry. They are the premier revolver on the market, bar none. I have had both the adjustable sight and the fixed sight guns. For my personal use I prefer the fixed sight gun. I shot basically one load and one bullet for hunting and did not care to have adjustable sights. Just a personal preference. (I am an old fanny burp and grew up on fixed sight Colts) I am not trying to convince anyone else.

I have used the long-barreled Freedom Arms and the short ones, with scopes and without. I echo what has already been said about them. I can testify from using them for years that Freedom Arms stands 100% behind their guarantee. I am also a personal friend of both Bob and Wayne Baker and am honored to be so.

And I received no remuneration or compensation for this testimonial. :D
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I have a Premier 454 with adjustable sights and I love it. It is the finest revolver I have ever owned. For a long time I thought I could not see the huge difference in price and what you get in a FA vs a Ruger, even after handling both. When I had the first opportunity to shoot them side by side, I was sold and bought my FA that same week. It takes a big wad of cash for one of the top gunsmiths to make a Ruger like an out of the box FA.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I can't imagine that you wouldn't like the revolver. Freedom Arms makes a MARVELOUS revolver. I know you're over 3 hrs away but you are welcome to shoot my 97.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My first FA premier grade 454 w/7.5" bbl. was a beautiful piece. In a moment of weakness I sent it back to FA and had the bbl. cut to ejector housing length. That was a huge mistake in my book. Muzzle blast with full house loads was, well, no fun. I sold it and purchased another one with the 7.5" bbl. and this one won't get cut. I've been around firearms all my life and the FA revolvers put everything else to shame in my book. I endorse their product without reservation. I suggest buying one, you'll never regret it.

I prefer the express sights, personal opinion only.

Old Law Dawg
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I own two of them, both are premiere grade and both now have Indian Stag grips. On my Model97 45 Colt I had express sights with a green fiber front but recently I switched back to the original adjustable blade and notch. I am having a hard time centering the dot in the shallow v of the express sights and actually find the traditional sights to be quicker and more accurate for my eyes. My model 83 is in 475 Linebaugh and it still has express sights on it. The 97 is a 4 1/4 and the 83 is a 4 1/2. I like the balance and packability of the short barrels. I sent the model 83 back to the factory a couple of years ago to have a trigger job and had them change it to a round butt frame. When I ordered my 97 I ordered it with the round butt. I have small hands and find the round butt fits better. I wish I would have had the trigger done on the 97 as well, but it is not enough of a difference to send it back. If I was ordering one today though I would get them to do a trigger job like my 83. I agree with John that it would be easy to live with fixed sights on these guns, but the factory adjustable ones are extremely rugged and it so well there is no reason not to get them. Both of my guns will punch a single hole all day long from a Ranson Rest at 25 yards and will hold well under an inch at 100 from the rest as well. Suffice it to say I am the weak link in the machine when it comes to shooting a Freedom Arms revolver. You will never regret purchasing a Freedom Arms
Image Image
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have two, a .475 and a .45colt/45acp. Both are premier. .475 is fixed sighted, .45 is adjustable. I love them both.

my model 87:

and my 93:

Last edited by rjohns94 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Bank vaults are built like Freedom Arms revolvers.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Had one in AK. Regret I ever sold it. Best Revolver Ever.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Thanks for the feedback. It was pretty much as expected. I have only heard god stuff about FA. And the ones I shot were fantastic.

I want one for a hunting model out to 100 or 125 yards.

Are the Express sights viable to that distance?? Or should I get the silh. model?? Tom.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I have a short fixed sight FA and it is the perfect pistol. Next one will be a adjust 7.5in
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

HEAD0001 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. It was pretty much as expected. I have only heard god stuff about FA. And the ones I shot were fantastic.

I want one for a hunting model out to 100 or 125 yards.

Are the Express sights viable to that distance?? Or should I get the silh. model?? Tom.
If/when you buy one, ORDER IT - so you can get a matching .45 ACP cylinder to go with it rather than sending it in.

Nothing more fun/hilarious than watching guys goggle when you lob a 230gr ball at a 185yd gong and ring it consistantly... after a 2+ second flight time :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

I have a 6 inch Model 97 in .41 Magnum that is the nicest handgun I've ever owned or ever expect to. They really are works of art. You cannot go wrong buying a Freedom Arms revolver.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

MY pocket pistol -- Freedom Arms Model 97 .. 45 ACP/45 Colt .. short barrel .. round butt .. presented to me by The Shootists as part of being voted Shootist of the Decade. I was totally speechless for once in my life!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 684362d61d
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that is a beauty Jim. (and a well deserved recognition). Must be difficult not to have your firearms with you. But that is what Ignatian Indifference is all about - not having any inordinate affectations of the heart that would keep us from accomplishing our chief end - drawing ever closer to God in knowledge, love and service, bringing glory to Him, and accomplishing his work of redemption of all creation. I admire your obedience.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thats a beauty Jim!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!