OT- Winchester/Miroku stocks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

OT- Winchester/Miroku stocks

Post by Mike D. »

I probably have mentioned this before, but I sent my pistol grip, crescent butt 1886 stock to Bryan Macon for duplication. I just got off the phone with him and he is really going out of the way to get it right. He is making the stock from nicely grained walnut, except with a shotgun butt per my request. He said that he will install a 71 style butt plate with lip, too. What more could a levergunner want? BTW, I also sent him the lower tang so that the inlet will be made to exactly fit. Miroku PG tangs are actually made to use the same screw as the straight tang. Flat on top, with curve made by added metal. Strange design if you ask me. :D Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Winchester/Miroku stocks

Post by BenT »

Probably saves them milling time. Post pictures when you get the stock .
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Actually not. They have to mill the stock deeper to accommodate the thicker metal of the Miroku tang. Original Winchester lower tangs are bent straight ones and need a different top screw.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Same way that Winchester was doin' the PG mdl 94s.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Looking forward to seeing this one!
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

Mike D. do you have any contact information for Bryan Macon? I have an 1886 that I would like to change from a Curved buttplate to a shotgun style myself. Looking forward to seeing your project done.
Regards
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Palmtreee wrote:Mike D. do you have any contact information for Bryan Macon? I have an 1886 that I would like to change from a Curved buttplate to a shotgun style myself. Looking forward to seeing your project done.
Regards
Sure, Palmtree, here 'ya go.

Macon Gunstocks
34535 Lickingteller Ave
Warsaw, MO 65355
Tel: 660-438-4699
Email: macongunstocks@dishmail.net
www.macongunstocks.net
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I just received a call from Vicki Macon and she stated that making the stock that I want will be no problem. PG to fit the Miroku tang and shotgun butt with deluxe plate with the lip like seen of 71s. The cost to me will be $85. I can't wait to get it and go to work doing the final fit and finish. :D
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Hey Mike, is the cost of duplication $85? I talked to george over at treebone and he wanted close to $1000 so if this is the case thats a deal and a half. Lemme know.
g rice
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

She indicated to me and per my conversations with Bryan that the total cost would be 85 bucks. He's going to send me an invoice detailing the work so that I know exactly what he's doing. He even told me that hi might even mount the buttplate for me. He wished that he had the rifle so that his fitter could do it perfectly. his business is doing so well that he has been able to hire some craftsmen from Fajen's and other stock makers. He is very satisfied with the employees he has and guarantees his work for an indefinite time. I expect that any wood from him will be excellent. I should know in a few weeks. :)
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Mike D. wrote:She indicated to me and per my conversations with Bryan that the total cost would be 85 bucks. He's going to send me an invoice detailing the work so that I know exactly what he's doing. He even told me that hi might even mount the buttplate for me. He wished that he had the rifle so that his fitter could do it perfectly. his business is doing so well that he has been able to hire some craftsmen from Fajen's and other stock makers. He is very satisfied with the employees he has and guarantees his work for an indefinite time. I expect that any wood from him will be excellent. I should know in a few weeks. :)

Expect the wood to be first rate as I bought a replacement stock from him for my sons stevens 311 sxs, took a little work fitting the buttstock and forearm but im very satisfied with it, im sure youre new wood will look great, im going to call him about some wood for my browning 1886.
g rice
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Marlin does their straight vs pistol grip stocks the same way, makes for easy interchangeability.
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Any word on this project?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Can't wait to see the finished product and what it set ya back.

I've got a couple of SxS shotguns that need some new wood. Plus, I've thought about replacing the crescent butt on my Miroku '86 to shotgun.
Old Law Dawg
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

No word as of today. I'm going hunting, but don't expect to hear about it for a few more weeks.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

$85.00 is a steal! I wouldn't mind having a shotgun butt stock on my 1895. It only has about a 13" LOP with the crescent butt. I don't understand that because my 1873 is longer.

Good luck on your deer hunt! We are planning to go into the back country next week.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'll be down at San Benito in about 3 hours. I'm only trying to bag another small buck to make into jerky. Our freezer's got plenty venison already and I still have the late October trophy hunt to attend.