I bought my first BLR! Need some info!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

I bought my first BLR! Need some info!

Post by pharmseller »

in .308.
I pick her up Sunday.

From the ad:
I have two rifles to sell. First is a Browning lever action in 308 cal. The rifle is used and shows signs of use. Some light pitting in the blueing and the wood has some dents and scratches. Not a safe queen. Shoots very well and looks good overall. Topped with a Bushnell elite 3200 2by7 scope on sight thru mts, and a nice leather sling. Comes with dies and about 80 loaded rounds. This is a great coast Elk and deer gun.Priced to sell at XXX

I don't know how to transfer pics from the website and you need to be a member to view the pics. Suffice it to say that the pics look a lot better than the ad implies.

Guess what I paid - I practically stole it!

P
Last edited by pharmseller on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I bought my first BLR!

Post by TedH »

350.00 ???
NRA Life Member
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

Sounds like a great hunting rifle. I have a steel framed 358 that is a wonderful rifle and got me back to lever guns in general. I now hunt mostly with Marlins but would never consider getting rid of my BLR. I hope yours shoots as great as mine. The trigger on mine is not great but usable for a hunting gun. I think you will find that the BLRs are a joy to handle and a great hunting tool that should be able to be passed down to succeeding generations. It sounds like you must have made a great deal. I never "stole" one but I "gave away" my first BLR-81 in 257 Roberts. Back in the early years of marriage the only way I could get a new gun was to seel something I already had and so the BLR went to the local gunshow. I sold it to an induvidual when no dealers would have it. Most of them didn't think they could move the "oddball" caliber. I gave it to the induvidual for $265. I still get sick when I think about it and only hope that it went to a good home. Nowdays I wish I had it back for my "long range" levergun.
I would get rid of those see through scope mounts and put the scope down where it belongs and take it to the range pronto to let us know how it performs.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I am down to one BLR (243) now and they can throw it in the box with me then 6 ' down. :D .
DAV life member.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sounds you got a great deal on a great gun. Saw a fellow shooting one at the range last week and I admired it. His had an unusual honey blonde wood color that I've not seen on a BLR before, looked really nice.

Now since you've already said that you practically "stole" it I'm going to guess low and say $299 but don't take offense at that if you paid more because I normally would not venture that low on a BLR.

Post some pics!!

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Rifle and accessories for $375

:mrreen: :D :D
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Quinn,
You almost got a free rifle after paying for the scope & rings. :D

Congrats!

David
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

gotta love them BLRs, I have owned 2, 1 in 308 and 1 in 284 win I sold the 308 after buying the 284 win, I just didnt use it after getting the 284,
if I ever run across 1 in 257 roberts, there will be 2 in my safe once again :D
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Good score!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GREAT choice for a BLR! Congratulations!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Congradulations, you just purchased about the best all around leveraction ever made. I own a lot of guns, some I paid 6 times as much as a nice BLR will cost, but my old steel framed BLR will probably be the last gun I ever get rid of. I have seen lemons in just about every type and make of gun at one time or another, but a good BLR is my go to gun, when I just really need to get something killed, and can't afford to blow it.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I've had good and bad experiances with BLRs.. my first one, a Belgium made steel frame 308 would do fine with factory ammo but couldnt get much success with handloads, even tried a small base set of dies.. still sticky coming out.. sold it to a fellow who only wanted to use factory.. and bought a Jap steel frame 358.... OUTSTANDING RIFLE!!.. killed two whitetails with it last fall. I've got great plans for this one.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Well heck, 4 boxes of shells has gotta be close to $50, dies are another $20, scope is $150 (used), so I got the rifle for $155. Not a bad deal at all!

P

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

:o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I look forward to your range report and pics!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

That's a GREAT deal!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

CONGRATS, P !

Now, ditch the see-through mounts, and it should be a good Elker.......................

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Pete44ru wrote:CONGRATS, P !

Now, ditch the see-through mounts, and it should be a good Elker.......................

I plan to remove the scope and use iron sights only.
I might change my mind, but the mounts are sure to go.

P

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

The serial number puts it at 1984 (PW227).
What should I know about this rifle?

P

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Re: I bought my first BLR! Need some info!

Post by Bruce »

Well, it is a steel framed Model 81 and should be a good one. If you like it, and you should - get a spare magazine before they go up in price like the pre 81's. Nothing wrong with the magazines, but all the BLR magazines seem harder to find when you need one.

I also recomend that you pull the stock and forearm and apply a good oil finish (I use boiled linseed oil or something similar) to the interior surfaces. You will need a real long regular blade screw driver to get the stock off.

Lastly, don't take it apart. :D
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum