Trouble deciding on peep for new Miroku 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Trouble deciding on peep for new Miroku 92

Post by Canuck Bob »

The new 32-20 is gettin closer to crossing the border.

I'm a dedicated peep sight shooter but don't want to put a modern receiver sight on this rifle.

These rifles have a tang safety making a tang sight troublesome, and I'm wondering about picking up an antique sight. I'd like a steel receiver sight if that is the route I'll go. I just think the standard side mount receiver sight won't be pleasing to the eye.

What about the Lyman 21 clone from Providence Tool?

Does anyone still manufacture bolt peeps for 92s? Or are they a bad idea, I've never seen one on a rifle just pictures.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Trouble deciding on peep for new Miroku 92

Post by brno602 »

Canuck Bob wrote:The new 32-20 is gettin closer to crossing the border.

I'm a dedicated peep sight shooter but don't want to put a modern receiver sight on this rifle.

These rifles have a tang safety making a tang sight troublesome, and I'm wondering about picking up an antique sight. I'd like a steel receiver sight if that is the route I'll go. I just think the standard side mount receiver sight won't be pleasing to the eye.

What about the Lyman 21 clone from Providence Tool?

Does anyone still manufacture bolt peeps for 92s? Or are they a bad idea, I've never seen one on a rifle just pictures.
I don't think that bolt peep would work on a Browning as it is a replacement for the safety that came on the Rossi. Lot's of luck getting one in Canada as most in the U.S will not deal with us. In the old day's most guy's sent parts up here as machine parts customs could care less.
I made a mount for a scope for my 92 rossi just to see how well it shot but took it off as it looked ugly! used a T.C mount and modded it.
I am in the same boat as you would like a peep site for my 92 but mine is a Rossi not a Browning. I think I will have to drill tap for a win 94ae sight you wont get any of the goodies from the U.S unless you find someone that will deal with you.
In a way I wish I bought a Marlin!
With the scope a cheap NKstar or whatever they call them? I was getting 1.5'' 3 shot groups with my cast bullets and a wee bit less with nosler 250gr .45 colt the nosler load was going 1600fps though.
I think you will be in the same boat as me get out your pen and start making your your own,ya it would be nice to own a gun you can get after market parts for in Canada.
That's why I only buy gun's from Europe now they cost a tiny bit more but are much better built and they for some reason support the Canadian market with parts, they cross the boader more easly.
Now Sako just has to bring back the Finwolf.
But the truth is make it yourself for a odball gun or find a good gunsmith that can do it.
With a will it can be done.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I made my own bolt peep, using a Skinner Lo-Pro peep, to replace the issue bolt-top lawyer safety on my Model 92, but fellow levergunner Nate "Kiowa" Jones makes/sells a drop-in version.

www.stevesgunz.com

NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Could the bolt on a 92 be drilled and tapped for a Skinner sight? The sight base could be made concave to fit the curvature of the bolt or the bolt could be ground flat underneath the sight base. You would definately need a new higher front sight.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The simplest and most efficient way to mount a peep sight on a 92 is either drill two holes for a side mount receiver sight such as the Williams FP or Lyman 66 A, or one hole in the tang for the Marbles tang sight.

My choice is the side mount Williams or Lyman.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Marbles makes a short base tang sight for the newer model 92 with the tang safety.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think he was talking about the old Winchester bolt peep, not the modern version, or any other modern looking sight.

I like the Lyman no 56 sight, but they arent real old. I think they came into use in the 20's or early 30's. The Lyman No 21 or 38 are nice looking sights. The 21 has been made recently as a reproduction, as you know. I havent heard any negative reports on them. The tang sight can be used, but it removes and covers the tang safety, not neccesarily a bad thing to some folks. The front hole is drilled and tapped right in the front of the tang safety slot.

Here is a Lyman no 56 on an old 94 carbine.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm finding out that anything unusual is getting very hard to get in Canada. At first I thought it was Homeland Security protecting our mutual troops from mailorder ordinance. Now it just seems part of Pres. Obama's agenda to harm the gun trades.

None of the usual suppliers will ship to Canada. Its sad because we are shooting Allies with the US.