OT - .32 H&R loads?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

OT - .32 H&R loads?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I'm looking for some new loads for my .32H&R. Something with a little pop behind it for hunting up to coyotes and general field use, maybe 1200 fps. I've found/use some plinkin Unique loads and Titegroup loads which are 2 of my 3 available powders but want something more. The last powder I have on hand is BlueDot and I've never found much info on BlueDot in the .32H&R. So............

The bullets = Hornady 100gr. XTP's and 100gr hardcast lead.

The Powders = BlueDot (prefered in this case), Unique and TiteGroup.

Any help apreciated,

LK
Don McDowell

Re: OT - .32 H&R loads?

Post by Don McDowell »

5.5 grs of bluedot with a 100 gr cast swc, is a sizzler out of the wifes little single six. Plenty accurate to 100 yds from the little beast as well.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thanks Don, I may check that one out. How is brass life with that load?

The more I think about it I keep wondering to myself why I keep wanting to push the .32H&R. Let's face it I do have a .357. The only thing I can figure is it must be the fact that I know most load info has been kept mild due to the H&R guns out there and I really would like to see the .32H&R at it's full potential. Personally I'd really like to someone take the plung and "publish" some Ruger Only loads for the .32 like they have done with other cartridges. I do know this, if I do push I want it to be without abusing the gun or the brass. Once loads get that warm I'd just as soon back off.

Thanks again, LK
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE LOADING MANUALS HAVE DATA THAT TAKE 85gr BULLETS UP OVER 1300 AND 100gr BULLETS TO NEARLY 1200 WITHOUT A PROBLEM. I CAN TELL YOU THE 32MAG KILLS THE stuff OUTTA SMALL GAME AT THOSE SPEEDS.
THE H&R 32MAG REVOLVER I HAD TOOK EVERY LOAD THE RUGER'S TOOK AND THAT INCLUDED TAKING JACKETED BULLETS UP TO 1500fps.
YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS : THERE ARE NO-NONE-ZIP-ZILCHO-NADA HIGH PERFORMANCE LOADS THAT ARE NOT A HELL OF A LOT HARDER ON THE BRASS THAN LIGHTER LOADS. IT CANNOT BE ANY OTHER WAY. THERE ARE NO FREE LUNCHES. BRASS IS EXPENDABLE, THAT IS WHY THEY MAKE IT BY THE MILLIONS EVERY DAY.
AS FOR THE 32MAG PISTOL, WHEN YOU OR IF YOU BEND IT, TOSS IT IN THE TRASH AND GO BUY A NEW ONE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like Lil'Gun in my .32 H&R Mag Single Six.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Thanks Don, I may check that one out. How is brass life with that load?

The more I think about it I keep wondering to myself why I keep wanting to push the .32H&R. Let's face it I do have a .357. The only thing I can figure is it must be the fact that I know most load info has been kept mild due to the H&R guns out there and I really would like to see the .32H&R at it's full potential. Personally I'd really like to someone take the plung and "publish" some Ruger Only loads for the .32 like they have done with other cartridges. I do know this, if I do push I want it to be without abusing the gun or the brass. Once loads get that warm I'd just as soon back off.

Thanks again, LK
The case life is pretty good , haven't lost any yet.
Another fun load in the thing is 2.5 grs of trailboss with a 100 gr cast bullet.
The 32 don't need Ruger only loads it's already running some pretty high pressures. It does just fine where it's at.
The Lyman manuals give the cartridge good treatment.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

You don't say what you are shooting this in! These have all been shot in a 4" Ruger SP-101 and most are as hot as I wanted to go. Some just ran out of space.

In no particular order:

Speer 100 JHP, 7.4 gr. Blue Dot, 1234 fps, 338 fpe
Hdy 100 XTP HP, 5.6 gr. Universal Clays, 1378 fps, 420 fpe
Hdy 100 XTP HP, 12.5 gr. H-110/296, 1368 fps, 414 fpe
Speer 100 JHP, 5.6 gr. Universal Clays, 1284 fps, 365 fpe
Lyman 3118, 113 gr. cast, 5.4 gr. Universal Clays, 1307 fps, 428 fpe
Hdy 100 JHP, 7.2 gr. Blue Dot, 1161 fps, 300 fpe

I am making no claims for safety of any of these loads, only that they have been successfully used in my SP-101 with no damage. These work in Starline brass only, they will stretch the primer pockets of Federal cases. Many of these show similar pressure signs to full-snort .357 Magnum loads. Primer Winchester WSP in all listed loads. Note that some of these give similar velocity to full power .357 Magnum in a 6" barrel. I would suggest reducing any of these by at least 15% instead of the usual recommendation of 10% to start.

From Don McDowell, "The 32 don't need Ruger only loads it's already running some pretty high pressures. It does just fine where it's at." Compare the results with factory Federal .32 H&R Magnum loads and see if you still think "It's fine where it's at."

Federal factory velocities from the same S-101:

85 gr. JHP, 1074 fps

95 gr. LSWC, 944 fps

Same ammunition a few weeks later, same gun:

85 gr. JHP, 927 fps

95 gr. LSWC, 905 fps