Marlin 338

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin 338

Post by Marlin32 »

Let's say that I purchase a Marlin 338ME XLR. What modifications would be recommended?
My first thought is to get rid of the dang push button safety.
I am going to guess that trigger is poor, or at least not what I want.

So, need to send it to someone to remove the safety and work the trigger.
What else should I do to this rifle?? Any suggestions, and gunsmiths who can do it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone with any experience with the 348 DC? Or should I just buy a 356??
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 338

Post by TedH »

I think you may be putting the cart ahead of the horse here. I'd buy the durn thing and shoot it. You may not need/want to do anything to it. Some report fine triggers on the XLR's, at least good enough for a hunting gun.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[What else should I do to this rifle?? Any suggestions, and gunsmiths who can do it would be greatly appreciated.]

If you send it to me, I'll remove the lawyer safety, install a peep sight, test fire & return it to you - right after this Fall's hunting season. ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

At first it took me awhile to warm up to the concept of a lever-action rifle - all my leverguns had been pistol-cartridge carbines, which I dearly loved, but I had to go out and get a .444 Marlin XLR, in that strange, shiny stainless finish...

First, I was convinced the sights were crooked - Leverguns Thread 12887
... but after more checking and measuring and so on, (see my post on the second page of the thread), that was not particularly true. (I hadn't crossed that point of truly 'bonding' to the new and strange lever-rifle.)

Then, to the range - Leverguns Topic 13405
... and after a bit of tinkering (nothing requiring much more than a couple of screwdrivers, triangular file, and pocket knife), really improved the groups. (See pics in the link in this paragraph for comparison.)

The only 'fixes' thus were in three categories:
  • the 'new gun flaws' as above, which seem to be typical of today's moderate-priced 'new guns'
    general action-slicking & polishing (not found necessary on this gun, but often needed on others)
    sights...pretty much a matter of personal taste
Thankfully the 'new gun flaws' on my XLR were pretty minor, although had I not investigated and fixed them, I'd have been disappointed in the gun's performance. As far as the 'action slicking', that's pretty much covered in NKJ's CD and other posts on this website; most of it is pretty much stuff a diamond shapener or arkansas stone can do for you after some careful hand-filing. For 'sights' - well, the sky is the limit...

I pretty much always mount my 36x BSA cheapie on every rifle I buy, and shoot it off the bench with some decent factory loads (or handloads I know are really good), to see the gun's actual potential. After that step, I'll decide what sights best exploit the gun's accuracy potential, NOT just what sights 'look right' for that particular firearm. In other words, if the GUN is capable of a left-eyeball shot on a chipmunk at 100 yards, I may seriously want to use a scope with enough power to SEE said chipmunk at 100 yards, let alone it's eyeball.

I've settled (for now) on a 4-16x trajectory-calibrated Bushnell Quad-Four scope for the .444 XLR, although most of my other leverguns have Williams FP's on them, with either factory (Marlin) gold bead fronts, or aftermarket (Rossi) yellow or green fiberoptic fronts. Despite their fragility and what I consider awkwardness, a couple octagonal long-barreled ones even wear tang sights.

P.S. As far as the Marlin crossbolt safety, I've grown used to them, and actually like them if I have to cycle nine or ten rounds through a lever action when coming in out of the snow with cold and nearly-numb fingers; just a little margin of safety. HOWEVER, I know there are several 'solutions' which have been posted on the board - everything from a dot of super-glue, to a slip-on O-ring over the red groove which makes it more difficult to accidentally engage the sight. Some have replaced the sight with a screw, so everything is flush. I have just left the guns as-is, because at least the Marlin safeties (unlike the Rossi/Puma ones) are well-made, with very positive function. I really dislike the habit the Rossi ones have of engaging/disengaging or partially-engaging of their own volition.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Last year I bought a 1995 45-70 and this year I picked up a MX .338. both have good triggers for hunting rifles.and I don't see what all the big hoopla is about the saftey. it is easily changed out for a plug screw. the 45-70 has a Williams FP peep on ti and the .338 will have a leupold 2x7 before long. Another member Quietman will probably be along shortly and he has shot the .338 alot more than I have.Good Luck.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My 338 's trigger was great from the factory. Didn't do anything to it.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The trigger on mine is as good or better than I could hope for on a factory rifle and better than some that have been smithed.
Get it and shoot it before you worry. Also they are almost all very accurate right out of the box. Mine did 1 1/4" for 3 shots at 100yd. right off the bat. I would not tinker with that! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know - just get it, and if you don't like it, you can donate it to one of us here on the forum; we'll get Hobie to grant you extra privileges on the forum or something in exchange... :wink:

Seriously, they are GOOD rifles. Not handy 'carbines' mind you, but very good rifles.

As to the 338 cartridge, I'll have to defer to the others here who have shot that round; it looks like a good all-around cartridge, though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

On my 1895g I placed the safety in the fire position and slipped a small black o-ring on it. That eliminates the chance of bumping the safety on and covers the red ring around the button. Problem solved. Cost? The o-ring cost 8 cents and took about 3 minutes to install.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Last year I had both the 338MX and 338MXLR .

They shot well enough with factory ammo for hunting purposes . Think I had a Leupold Vari XIII 2.5-8 on top the 338MX and a Leupold Vari XIII 3.5-10x40AO on top the 338MXLR .

They'll do anything most folks need in north america . And why did I get rid of mine you ask ?

There comes a time when one has to darn much !

So now as far as levers are concerned I use my time with cast bullets in 444's . 45-70's and a 375 WIN all Marlin's OF COURSE :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
timberghost
Levergunner

Post by timberghost »

Im new here, but not new to Marlins. I have two xlr series rifles, both of them have been modified. But I agree that you need to shoot the rifle first. You may actually like the longer barrel (I didnt and both mine have been reduced to 20"). I have a Wild West trigger in one, though I do have to admit its not really better than the factory trigger in the other. Ive done quite a bit of research and still dont know if that means I have a really good factory trigger in one or a poorly fitted Wild West trigger in the other. Both triggers function fine for me, I wont fix what aint broke.