Lyman tang sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
greenacres
Levergunner

Lyman tang sight

Post by greenacres »

I recently bought a Winchester model 1892 rifle in 25-20 that has been rebuilt. It came with a Lyman tang mounted peep sight. I think it is a Lyman #2 tang sight. I have used a peep sight on a 22LR target rifle, but this is the first time I have ever used a Lyman peep sight and so I don't know much about them. But I think this one is defective.

I can wiggle the post (the part that moves up and down) from side to side and front to back; and can also twist it back and forth about 10 degrees. This doesn't seem right to me. I took it apart and it appears to me that it was made that way, and it's because the post that moves up and down is a little bit too small in diameter.

Is this normal?
“You see in this world there’s two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.” ~ Blondie - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Lyman tang sight

Post by Terry Murbach »

NEITHER OF MY TWO ACT THAT WAY. THEY FOLD BACK AND FORTH TO GET IT OUTTA THE WAY AND THAT IS IT. ONE IS ON THE BROWNING 357 AND THE OTHER IS ON A WIN. '94 26" RIFLE. TO BE TRUTHFUL, I DO NOT LIKE TANG SIGHTS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM THAT I'VE SEEN TO DATE. THEY'RE TOO CLOSE TO MY EYE AND ARE IN THE WAY OF MY THUMB. THERE IS A GOOD REASON WHY RECEIVER SIGHTS WERE A ROARING SUCCESS IN THE MARKETPLACE AND REPLACED TANG SIGHTS IN THE AFFECTION OF AMERICAN SHOOTS IN ABOUT TWENTY MINUTES FLAT WAY BACK WHEN.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
greenacres
Levergunner

Post by greenacres »

Would a Marble brand tang sight be better?
“You see in this world there’s two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.” ~ Blondie - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The brand of the sight won't affect the major weak points of tang sights in general. I don't know if the Marbles sights are made to tighter tolerances tho, if that is what you are asking. A call to Lyman may be worthwhile too. They may send you a new sight if yours is too loose, or repair yours.

BTW, I completely agree with Terry regarding tang and receiver sights. I bought a gun with a tang sight once, but when I actually had it in hand, couldnt get that sight off fast enough. If you like them for nostalgic reasons, or range use, then by all means use one. I just feel receiver sights are far and away handier to use.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'd say your particular sight is worn, I have two brand nw ones for two of my projects and they're tighter'n a drum... I have two on rifles from the twenties (1920's), and one is slightly worn (no finish to speak of, but not as loose as you describe), the other is also tight, but moves easily.

I love tang sights, mostly for their maximum sight radius. I wear shooting glasses, primarily for other reasons, and while I've been "bit" by a scope, not so with a tang. Where I don't have problems w/tangs, receeiver sights give me focusing & depth-of-view fits!

While I like the adjustability & repeatability of the Marbles, I prefer the robustness of the Lymans.

YMMV.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Often these old sights can be rebuilt and "stiffened up" some. It may even be possible that Lyman would have some or all of the parts needed.

But Terry et al are correct when they point out disadvantages of tang sights. Visually/nostalgically I love them, and the slightly longer sight radius they offer over a receiver sight is a small -- very small -- advantage. But they are inconveniently placed and inherently weaker and quicker to wear out than something like my preferred all-steel vintage Lyman receiver sights.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

We all know the advantages of a rear mounted aperture sights... On leverguns if the receiver sight can’t be mounted on top of the receiver, then I don’t want anything to do with it simply because of aesthetics... Yeah I know aesthetics maybe clouding my judgment...But I aint alone there! heh heh... You know how it goes.. Some don’t care for a Sav. 99 no matter what it’s advantages may be..or Marlins .. whatever..
Me...I can’t abide having a chunk of metal hanging off the side of an otherwise slim & sleek levergun...It’s just ugly!!...So it’s tangers on most of the Winnys and top mounted receiver sights on the Marlins and Savages..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY