OT--Carbine Project for upcoming deer season

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

OT--Carbine Project for upcoming deer season

Post by CaptainFinn »

Well, it's time for CaptainFinn's annual 'avoid Mrs.Finn during the approach to deer season' project.

My wife graciously (that means I sneak it past her) allows me one 'gun' project about every three to six months. Last autumn it was re-finishing the stocks on my two Rossi 92's.

This year I am more ambitious. I have a nice bubba'd 1898 Springfield Krag barrelled action that I am itching to use for deer season. So far I have the complete action, 22" barrel in nice shape, and buttplate, along with a questionable and very hacked-up and cut-down military stock. I have ordered a replacement carbine stock and will be sanding and refinishing it as part of the project.

Here's my quandry. Do I set it up as a sporter, with a peep sight and solid handguard, or go for 'military' trim, with a barrel-mounted 1898 or 1902 sight and a cut handguard ?

(I have both handguards already and will be sanding/finishing both of them at the same time I am working on the stock.

I'm actively searching for sights and a barrel band. I know a Redfield or Rice peep sight requires no gunsmithing, so if I go with a 'sporter' I can always swap rear sights and handguards and return to military configuration. I'm just wondering which version I should concentrate on for the upcoming hunting season.

Any thoughts or comments ? I'm not trying to pass off the resulting gun as original. It will never be sold. I'm a huge T.R. fan and portray a Rough Rider as my SASS persona and I always wanted a shootable carbine, but the real ones are out of my price range. ( I know the riders used earlier 94/96 Carbines, but I wanted the windage adjustable 98 or 1902 version)

Thanks,

CaptainFinn
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Howdy Cap

Post by LeverBob »

If your persona for SASS is a roughrider; the military. Why not set it up for both? Then you can switch back to std. hunting mode with modern sights!
30-40 wil handle anything in this part of the world, what a neat project. :wink:

LeverBob
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

CaptainFinn;

That sounds like a great project. If you are lacking a functioning rear sight, and have access to a "No gunsmithing" peep sight, I would put it in and try it.

It sounds like you are running short on time. While actively looking for your vintage parts, why not mount it in the sporterized stock, and try using it that way this year. As long as you don't permantly alter the metal, you can finish making it a "Rough Rider Carbine" after the season is over.

That is probably what I would do. Its your rifle; ultimately you will have to make the choice.

If you can get to it, some pictures would be cool.

Sean
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I would mount it in a sporter stock and install peep sights. I waited too long to go back for a really nice sporterized Krag last fall and have regretted it ever since. Would've been a great all-around rifle.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Great project, post some pics if you can CaptainFinn!
My Grandad, may he RIP, had plenty of money to buy a newer scoped rifle to hunt Mulies in Southern Utah, but he always packed around his old sporter Kraig. I remember as a kid hunting with him thinking why?
I understand now Granpa :wink: