OT-somewhat. How do you store your handguns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

OT-somewhat. How do you store your handguns?

Post by Chas. »

Right now I'm storing mine in a silicone sock and each handgun is in it's own zipper gun "rug", also well sprayed with silicone. So far, I've had no problem doing this. For long-term (weeks/months) how do you store yours? Reason I'm asking is I need to get 3 more "rugs", 2 for new guns and 1 for a replacement for one that the zipper pulled out. If there's a better way, please share.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: OT-somewhat. How do you store your handguns?

Post by Malamute »

Usually in a holster hanging on the wall, or in the truck.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Some are in a safe, laying on silicone-impregnated cloths. A couple are hanging on pegs on the back of a door, and a couple more are in with some papers in my home security safe. It doesn't seem to matter especially if I get em well seasoned with oil, wiped down, then use em and wipe em but don't clean em too often.
Certified gun nut
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I am cheap... my handguns are stowed in oily old cotton socks ( like for my feet socks)... The socks are what I finish wiping the guns down with before I store them in the lock box or safe so they all have some Break Free or Remoil residue all over them.

Got to be careful with those gun rugs... seen some nice guns ruined in those ... they hold moisture if you dont leave the zippers open so they can breathe.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

All stored in hard plastic foam lined cases. Guns are wiped down with Industrial PCL two or three times a year.

Nary a problem.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I keep mine loaded...some in a safe, some not.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

bout the same as Blain some in safe some not most loaded.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

In Oz they all have to be kept in a safe, I keep mine in what looks like a wooden holster screwed to the inside of the safe door.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I never keep guns in foam or socks or cases. open air with liberal doses of oil on the ones that need it. Worse gun damage I've seen has been in cases and socks. The rifles aren't "in" something, why should the pistols be?

Grizz
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Dry climates offer lots more options.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

All of mine are loaded, none in socks. I have two in the lower portion of the gun cabinet, one by my bedside, one on me, the rest in a dresser drawer. I don't keep them in leather except when I am carrying them. I let them breathe. All are wiped down with oily rag. All loaded. Keeps it simple. Either keep em all loaded or all empty and treat them as loaded.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

willygene wrote:bout the same as Blain some in safe some not most loaded.
No loaded guns in the safe.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I built an interlocking rack from some 1/4 plywood that fits in a section of my gun cabinet and most are stored standing up, wiped with oil, unloaded (but one 1911 has a full mag of hydra shoks sitting next to it). Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

In a safe, sometimes in their holsters, sometimes not. 2 outta 4 are stainless and I never worry about them much. One of the blued guns gets handled and shot a lot and although well used with lots (and lots, and lots) of wear I've never seen a speck of rust on it even with minimal care. I've never seen a blued gun that is as rust resistant as that one. The other blued gun is an heirloom that doesn't see much handling but I douse it down with RemOil a couple times a year.

LK
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

like the long guns, all metal parts covered in the best anti-rust lubricants I have found. EEzox and Corrossion-X. By far the best anti-rust products I have ever tried. "Gun Oil" is a terrible anti rust lubricant, as is WD-40. I try to avoid oiling any wooden parts on any guns except with a correct for wood product to avoid soaking and softening over time.

Living in the subtropical rainforest of southeast Texas, it is a constant and never ending battle. I have a few handguns that I have been working on, wiped down and left on the bench to come back a couple days later (with cylinders or slides not attached so as to be inert) and still found small rust droplets on them. So every one stays in a large enclosed space with a goldenrod type electronic dehumidifier. Dies and other reloading equipment have to remain soaked since they are in the garage.

Never - ever store guns in anything leather or foam lined cases again. I have a couple of what were very beautiflly blued rifles that have foam print patterns in the bluing now.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I have a few in long term storage. They are filled and coated in grease and kept in metal water proof ammo cans. The others (contenders and other singleshot pistols not included) are in use by me or other family members, so it is just drawers or cabinets.
I recently saw one (not in my house) stored inside a microwave. Microwave was not in working condition. The elderly man said he never used the microwave much anyway and he liked being able to keep his handgun available without it just sitting out.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Malamute,

That is an absolutely delightful scene. Is that an earth stove? I can feel the sunshine pouring off that stove when it's cranking. Melts the snow off of gear pretty fast too. Is there a coffee pot on the other corner? Thanks for posting that, it kicks up lots of memories.

Bunch of warm guns; lots or happy memories brewing there.....

Grizz
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Yep Malamute, beutiful shot. That scene conjurs up all sorts of great thoughts.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

I keep mine in safes in two different safes in two different homes, both climate controlled with central heat and air. I keep some of them in holsters, but only short term. I use gun oil and WD40, but again, only short term. The guns all get wiped down regularly, at least three times per year, some a whole lot more than that.

I guess there are some better products than WD 40 now, but I have been using it since the early seventies with good results. Did you know that on a foggy morning when your 8N Ford won't crank, you can pop the distributer cap, spray it with WD40, put the cap back on, and it will probably crank? When I was a young Deputy in South Georgia in the early 70s, we sprayed our Model 10s, Model 19s, and the occasional Python or Trooper with WD40 regularly. We sprayed and wiped down the exterior, and sprayed all the cracks and crevices to get it inside the guns. We carefully removed the ammo when we sprayed, because it was an article of faith with us that the WD40 would penetrate the primers. Anyhow, we carefully disassembled the guns about twice a year and cleaned the gunk out of them. WD40 gained some of its reputation as a protector of firearms in humid climates by sending 10,000 samples per month to soldiers in Vietnam as part of an ad campaign.
Georgia On My Mind
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I agree about WD-40. It removes moisture from metal. Used it in the SE Alaska rainforests and oceans for years. Best thing to make sure your barrel doesn't condense water and rust inside while the gun is warming by the stove.

Not a good preservative though because it evaporates and pretty much disappears. I use 3-in-1 oil and that works great for all the intermediate protection needs in any harsh climate. Many years of success with those two products. Cheap, plentiful, and effective.

Grizz
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have a combination of store-bought and home-made storage racks that hold handguns upright. A bit of light oil and a dehumidifer and you're all set! :D
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

I just wanted to revisit this one for anyone interested. Gun Tests Magazine just came out and their cover story is on rust preventatives. Their July 2000 issue had a test, which they did not revisit but had previously stated:
July 2000:
....The winners were Break-Free CLP, Du-Lite’s Kwikseal, Ox-Yoke’s Wonder-Lube 1000 Plus, Boeshield T-9, Shooter’s Choice Rust Prevent, Brownells Rust Preventive No. 2, and RIG Universal Grease. We couldn’t see a major difference in any of these; they all proved to be excellent rust preventers in our tests. If you’re using one of these seven products to protect your bluing, you’re doing a pretty good job of it.

Of the winners, the only one which was touted to “do it all,” including cleaning, lubricating, and rust-preventing, was Break-Free CLP. In fact, the CLP portion of its name stands for Clean, Lubricate, and Protect....
One other note in that story is that Rangoon oil is listed as unsuitable, as is Hoppe's No.9 and Valvoline 10W-40.

THIS year they spout Boeshield T-9 and Brownells Slide-Glide as their top picks. None of the other products previously tested were tested this time, nor were Corrosion-X or EEzox - my personal favorites. Oddly, this years story ended with this remark:
"For what it's worth, we still prefer to use (Parker Hale) Rangoon oil on our collectible guns as protection and lubricant. Old habits die hard."

Apparently, brain cells don't. :D
slamfire
Levergunner

Post by slamfire »

This stuff is my guns' new best friend:
http://www.microlon.com/PDF/AmericanGunsmith.pdf

I have read that using spray silicone is a really bad idea as it attracts and absorbes moisture.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I am probably not the poster boy for clean guns, and most of mine are loaded, but I try to keep the ones I don't use real often wiped down with a little more oil, then the ones I want instantly if needed.

Most are in a safe, but a few are kept out, here and there.

I don't keep any pistols in rugs, but I do keep a few long guns in cases, and a few pistols in holsters.

It's humid here in Arkansas, and one needs to keep an eye on his guns, but the main thing I have to worry about is handling them and leaving sweaty finger prints on them, so I will wipe them down, as needed.
NRA Life Member, Patron
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

As I live in a dry climate and have a secure basement reloading area, I'm in Malamute's camp. A light coat of oil and they are ready to go. I've had my M1 Carbine stored like this for almost 36 years without any signs of rust.

BTW, that is only part of my collection. My ARs are on a homemade magwell rack on another wall and my less used assorted rifles and pistols are in a nearby closet to the right. Of course, then are my HD weapons in other parts of the house.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Mine are all in the safe except for a Colt Python in my nightstand and a Ruger LCR Crimson Trace in my wifes. All the single actions are unloaded, the double action and semi-autos are loaded. I have a humidifier in the safe and am somewhat of a cleaning fanatic, I love cleaning and oiling guns(I know, i'm nuts). I lightly oil everything once a month on a weekly schedule: week 1 all handguns, week 2 all leverguns, week 3 all bolt actions and semi-auto's, and week 4 all shotguns, then start over. I use Breakfree CLP for cleaning after firing, but I'm experimenting with the monthly oiling, I am trying Royal Purple gun oil on 1/2 my firearms(I use Royal Purple motor oil in two of my cars and it has raised my mileage by 1-2MPG) and the breakfree on the other half. So far no difference except in Bolt action rifles the bolt seems a little smoother with the Royal Purple. I even go to my local gun dealer once a week and clean firearms he has taken in trade or purchased. I do it for free but he always buys me lunch and since I started that he sells me ammo at cost and firearms at $20 over cost so it works for me. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!