OT: 45/70 Trapdoors

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

OT: 45/70 Trapdoors

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Been in the Omaha Cabela's and they had quite a few Trapdoor 45/70. Starting at $729. They also had a TD carbine, sufre felt and handled nice, tho the sights suck. They all must of had better eyes than me back then, but I can see why the 500gr bullet loads kicked so much. Also the Cabela's in Kearney had 2 nice 30/40 Krags still with the long barrels and stocks looked unmessed with; other than the one's stock being refinished. Also was a nice old Win M54 marked "30 GOV'T 06" , sure hate being a member of the not enough money for what i want.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: 45/70 Trapdoors

Post by lthardman »

Its a big club.

I have a couple trapdoors, and I kind of like those sights. The model 1884 has sights that are an improvement over the 1873. I have one of both. I believe some early Krags I have seen had the same sights as the 1884.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if 'ya wanna' buy a Trapdoor, first get a good reference book! Some may balk at the price but it is way more expensive to buy a parts rifle or carbine that is not worth the price.... And some dealers honestly don’t know what they have and if it is correct.

I would recommend Waite and Ernst “The Trapdoor Springfield“. Unfortunately, now out of print, but used copies are out there.

Other books:
http://www.trapdoors.com/books.php

A good on-line reference site, inc. historical photographs, model descriptions, etc.:

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

And if you want to load and shoot the Trapdoor with cloned/replicated US Armory loadings and learn how to use the GI Issue sights, ‘ya hafta’ obtain this book:

“Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and carbine”, By Spence and Pat Wolf.

Available at: www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1437.html
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

OR, one could seek out one of the very finely-finished H&R trapdoors from the 1970's ( Model 173 ?), and not have to fret about all of the above.

H&R made plain-jane infantry-model clones, as well as Officer's Models (what I had) & carbines, IIRC.

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Pete44ru: yup a H&R is nice, but where do you find them? It only took me 'bout 9-10 years to find an Officer's model for sale. Up here, you just don't see them for sale, and I have a feeling that to get one you need to know someone who has one and wants to sell it.

I have no idea about the auction sites as I don't "do" the auction sites -- know of too many guys who were burned, misrepresented items, etc. Plus if you send it back, you're stuck with shipping both ways.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I had an H&R officer's model. And I regret selling it. It as a nice rifle. It had decent sights and was a decent shooter. I wish I had it back. I made a god bit of money when I sold it. but as I said I regret it now.

The one part about the rifle that I could never understand was why it came with a ramrod?? Does anyone know why it came with a ramrod?? Tom.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have an original Springfield Model 1888 and I would describe its sights as not merely decent, I would say they are outstanding. The sights I'm referring to is the Buffington rear sight. It is a work of art. I picked it up at a Rock Island Auction for a very good price.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

HEAD0001 wrote:I had an H&R officer's model. And I regret selling it. It as a nice rifle. It had decent sights and was a decent shooter. I wish I had it back. I made a god bit of money when I sold it. but as I said I regret it now.

The one part about the rifle that I could never understand was why it came with a ramrod?? Does anyone know why it came with a ramrod?? Tom.
YES.
TO KNOCK OUT THE STUCK FIRED CASES.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I have always wanted a H&R Trapdoor! Ah I still have the S.I.R catalog with them I think it was 76/77 or 77/78 year I was 9 or 10
But did not have the 190.00 or 200.00+ change for the fancy one that came with a book too!
I bet if I bugged mom she would have bought it for me but I was never one to bug, she's the gun nut in the family!
One day I will get one but I know I still have to ask for permission before I spend that much money. I have seen them at gun shows with the books little bighorn and a other one(cant remember the title), go for around 1200.00 unfired.
But they make the new H&R handy rifle look like---- well junk!
They came with real wood and no plastic.
I am aware of the problems some had with the H&R Trapdoor but I could fix that.
P.S if I want hot loads I would buy a Ruger #1 in 458 Lott not a new handy Rifle.
Sorry got a bit off topic with my H&R rant the new break barrels are dam ugly!!!just bring back the Trapdoor would be nice. With Real wood too.lol
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I'm sorry brno, but I don't consider this an ugly gun. But they're not expensive so maybe your mamma would buy you one of them.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

brno602 wrote:I have always wanted a H&R Trapdoor! Ah I still have the S.I.R catalog with them I think it was 76/77 or 77/78 year I was 9 or 10
But did not have the 190.00 or 200.00+ change for the fancy one that came with a book too!
I bet if I bugged mom she would have bought it for me but I was never one to bug, she's the gun nut in the family!
One day I will get one but I know I still have to ask for permission before I spend that much money. I have seen them at gun shows with the books little bighorn and a other one(cant remember the title), go for around 1200.00 unfired.
P.S if I want hot loads I would buy a Ruger #1 in 458 Lott not a new handy Rifle.
Sorry got a bit off topic with my H&R rant the new break barrels are dam ugly!!!just bring back the Trapdoor would be nice. With Real wood too.lol
I new I would hit a nerve?
ha ha but to me it is still a single shot shotgun with a heavy frame Take the sites off it it looks just like my old 20ga single shot.
But at least they put real wood on the long Rifle.
Still different strokes for different folks I don't hate them they are just not for me personal opion I guess. My bud's 38/55 shoot's great but I rather have a action that talks to me snicks and clicks when you open it.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

brno602 wrote:I have always wanted a H&R Trapdoor! Ah I still have the S.I.R catalog with them I think it was 76/77 or 77/78 year I was 9 or 10
I new I would hit a nerve?
ha ha but to me it is still a single shot shotgun with a heavy frame Take the sites off it it looks just like my old 20ga single shot.
But at least they put real wood on the long Rifle.
Still different strokes for different folks I don't hate them they are just not for me personal opion I guess. My bud's 38/55 shoot's great but I rather have a action that talks to me snicks and clicks when you open it.
I think I quoted myself lol dam computers!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=9094533

Here's an H&R with a BIN of $800. - It's only green paper, and WHERE do you get another trap door like it ? :mrgreen:

brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

One big problem Pete44ru, for me I am not in the U.S or it would be mine! :cry: 3 hour drive away to U.S soil yet so far away!
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

There is a feller in Montana or Wyoming that sell all trapdoors....he had 2 H&R Officer Models the last time I visited with him....his company is Trapdoors Galore if I remember correctly........has some darn nice originals too...

rick
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

brno602 wrote:One big problem Pete44ru, for me I am not in the U.S or it would be mine! :cry: 3 hour drive away to U.S soil yet so far away!
I live in Canada, but my original Trapdoor came from the US, via the Rock Island Auction. It is in excellent, original condition with about 90% blue, and I got it for a paltry $600 (call me lucky or what!). Since it is an antique on both sides of the border, there is no problem getting it in ones eager, Canadian hands.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

KirkD wrote:
brno602 wrote:One big problem Pete44ru, for me I am not in the U.S or it would be mine! :cry: 3 hour drive away to U.S soil yet so far away!
I live in Canada, but my original Trapdoor came from the US, via the Rock Island Auction. It is in excellent, original condition with about 90% blue, and I got it for a paltry $600 (call me lucky or what!). Since it is an antique on both sides of the border, there is no problem getting it in ones eager, Canadian hands.
Not my luck I tell them I am in Canada and they will not talk to me even though I have cash in hand and the law say's it good to go they will not want to deal with me, same goes for getting parts for guns or even a scope mount!Could not get a Rossi scope mount no matter what I tried so ended up making one.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

brno602 wrote:I tell them I am in Canada and they will not talk to me even though I have cash in hand and the law say's it good to go they will not want to deal with me, same goes for getting parts for guns or even a scope mount!Could not get a Rossi scope mount no matter what I tried so ended up making one.
You need a US address, or go through Clay of Prophet River in Lloyd if you don't have one.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

IIRC, H & R sold their Trapdoor production tools & dies to Pedersoli.

I fellow I shot blackpowder with owned a H & R Officer's model and a Pedersoli carbine, as well as a original in .50-70. All seemed like nice servicable guns.

My wife's grandmother has her late husband's 1888 rifle. Until the grandfather passed in 2001, he used it every year to take a deer here in WV. She still has the ONE box of Remington green box loads from about 25 years ago with four shells left in it. Sixteen deer over sixteen years, one shot a year. I am lobbying to give the grand old rifle a new home.