Fluorescent sight color choice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Fluorescent sight color choice

Post by J Miller »

If you were going to use fluorescent sights on the front and rear of your rifle, would you use the same color front and rear, or a different color?

I'm poking around the Marbles sight and I'm really finding some ideas for my MR-7 project.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fluorescent sight color choice

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i dont use them on my rifles....but I do use them on my shotguns..
fluorescent green work best for me...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It's just an idea really. Although the pics as shown by Marbles really would stand out in the woods.

Yeah, as if anybody needs a long barreled 30-06 bolt gun in the deep dark woods. :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Fluorescent green
Actually, I only use the front sight illuminated since I have used this shotgun for 30 years and it always comes up and cheeks the same.I use (Archers Glow Paint)hit it with a burst of a mini mag for 30 seconds and it glows for 45mins.I cup my hand over it when I hit it with the flashlight to limit any light when I get setup.
It's just in case Mr. big black bear shows up in the dark woods when deer/bear hunting and he's wanting to eat me. :o
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I really like the fluorescent green up front but prefer a receiver sight on the back.
Well done is better than well said.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like two different colors, between front/rear barrel FO sights, as there is then never a question (as during a very hurried shot) of placing the front bead outside the two rear pips ILO between them.

When using a FO on the front only, as with a peep sight, I prefer red - but understand YMMV with your personal vision preferences/particulars/shortcomings.

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Flourescent sights?!?

I like the hot pink bikinis on the beach myself.... :shock: :twisted:

-Stretch
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

I went through this a few years back with a Ruger Single Six that had black on black sights. I wanted to hunt with that little gun and in any kind of shade, let alone dusk or dawn the sights melted into one another.

A trip to the local crafts market and I came home with 4 different flourescent colors of paint. It took a little experimenting, but a front sight only dabbling in bright green works best for me. I suggest you try several different colors too. Your results may vary.

FWIW I painted the top 1/2 of the front sight and now holding at the very bottom of the paint (again this took some experimenting to find the exact right line) it puts me right on target at 100 yards with that gun. I can hit a frying pan 5 out of 6 shots most of the time and 6 out of 6 some of the time.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I would have to use a single color front and rear. I have a strong lens correction, and this gives very noticeable chromatic aberration. If I look at a stop light at any horizontal angle other than dead on, the three balls won't line up vertically; indeed they are a half ball out of alignment. How this works on a gun is shown on my son's Crosman air rifle, which is green at one end and red at the other. By changing the angle of my head to the stock, I can move the impact point -- at only 5 yd.