While on beers--any non-bitter types?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

While on beers--any non-bitter types?

Post by Thunder50 »

I don't normally drink beer , and socially, maybe have had less than a dozen beers in my lifetime, due to the bitterness I guess I get from the hops in the beer.

Any beers that don't have that taste of bitterness? I think I read somewhere that genetics play a part in wheather you like Cilantro in your food, or not. You love it or can't stand it, I can't stand it because it is so bitter to me, and maybe thats why beer is so bitter.

Figured someones "expertise" in beers will shine thru and give me a bit of unbiased info on something that might be palatable to me.

So what beers would you recommend?
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: While on beers--any non-bitter types?

Post by madman4570 »

Heineken Dark Lager (like mine coming from the frig and put into freezer for about 10 minutes,drink er right out of bottle)
Real Smooth!

And for those that like a little candy( :?: ) with their brew--------Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Just watch how many you drink or you will get hammered quick!
The women love this one :wink: Some candles/ Dean Martin/Hot Tub/ :mrgreen: :D
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I too find heavily hopped beers disagreeable. Unfortunately, many of the smaller US breweries today seem to feel the more hops you pour into a beer the more "unique" and marketable is the flavor. These will usually have some weird name like "brutal bitter" or dragon's breath, etc.

Wheat beers are often mildly hopped. A German name for them is Hefe-weisse, and Erdinger is popular of late, so you might be able to find it in your area. Franziskaner is smooth, especially the dark version. Some wheat beers are sharpened with citrus or other flavors.

The "milk" or "sweet" stouts are often smooth, but I've come across a few that were hoppy. Good ones are difficult to find. Mackeson is pretty good and is sometimes available in my town. US made variants are often spiked with extra alcohol, which doesn't improve the flavor; I recall reading some foolish states have a law requiring a "stout" to have a minimum alcohol content.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

wheat beer - hefeweissen
great summertime brew.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had a 'Cherry Wheat' Beer maybe of Sam Adams type, that was not bitter at all, but still tasted like beer - just sweet. Very good, though not like the Beck's I normally drink.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bulldog1935 wrote:wheat beer - hefeweissen
great summertime brew.
I love the non bitter wheats..... Blue Moon is excellent. They serve it with a slice of orange, but for me, that sucks....I don't like the lime in Corona, either. I'll have my fruit for breakfast, thanks. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Thunder50 wrote:I don't normally drink beer , and socially, maybe have had less than a dozen beers in my lifetime, due to the bitterness I guess I get from the hops in the beer.

So what beers would you recommend?
I'm the same way. However every once in a while I've got the hankering for a beer. Most American beers I've tried taste like Swill to me. This beer has turned out to be my favorite. I actually enjoy the aftertaste. I don't consider there to be any bitterness, just flavor. Also, most will probably disagree, but I think it tastes better the warmer it gets. I like to open on and let it warm up a bit. IMO, the coldness of beer masks the flavor. I understand how some Europeans can drink beer warmer than Americans.

If you can find it in a bottle shop, give it a try.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Technically I think its a pilsner but if you want a good smooth drinking beer, try Rolling Rock. Its being brewed in St. Louis now - I suppose that A. Bush or their new owner also purchased Rolling Rock - but it tastes as good as ever. This is in a green bottle with white paint - a horse head and arch on the label - used to be brewed in Latrob IIRC.

Anyway, my local Walmart actually stocks this brand.

I get tired of Miller and Bud Light and the like - this is more expensive but much better drinking.

Another favorite that I haven't been able to find in Texas is Special Export (same company as brews Old Style) - ice cold, there's few better drinking beers IMHO.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

I don't drink much beer, but when I do I like Becks.
Most American beers are too thin in taste, and most other European beers are bitter or skunky.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Hopps is brewed into the beer as a preservative to keep it from spoiling and to cut the sweetness of the malted barley. Someone resurrected an ancient Egyption beer from several thousand years back and it was described as a light flower beer not suited to modern tastes. A TV show with the guy going around the world eating all kinds of stuff watched them make a batch of bannan home brew which was finished with a handfull of quinine powder to cut the sweetness. I think this was in Ethiopia. Had to be some rough stuff. I agree Becks it a nice beer similar to what I drank during my tour in Germany back in the 1960's. Of course most all the Germans like their beer warm, even had bottle warmers to take the chill off of it. In the U.S. prior to WWII most of all the beer was brewed using Corn due to the price of Corn over Barley. It was usually cloudy as well. Good Luck.
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

Keystone Light. (Arrrgggh!)
Happy Trails!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What everybody else said!!

Some of the German dark beers can be quite sweet.
Too much so, methinks.

The Belgian flavored ales are good, though some folks don't
care for 'em.

Sam Adams brews a Blackberry Wheat Beer that's terrific.
My wife, generally NOT a beer drinker, LOVES their Cherry Wheat.

I once brewed a raspberry stout that was just not of this world.....
.....boy did that come out nice!

The brewer was an important man in the colonies. Did you know that
no pathogens will live in beer? 'Tis true! Beer was safe to drink. Hops
acted as a preservative, as did the alcohol. If ya get a bad batch, it might
smell bad, taste awful, and look terrible, but it won't kill ya. India Pale
Ale is quite hoppy, and was brewed with a higher alcohol content to
preserve it in the tropical colonial empire's environment. If ya didn't like
hops, you were outta luck.....

-Stretch
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

Try any beer you can't see through. That should do it nicely!
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Try some of the honey beers, No not the Real thing like Meed.
I like my Beers to have some bite to them or at least flavour.
The sweetest tasting beer I ever had though (I ordered by mistake I should add)was in Russia it was called Redd's or something like that and tasted like Rye and Gingerale ! The waitress giggled when I asked for a bottle of it my wife giggled too! I had know idea it was ment as a girls drink!But I tried it anyway thinking it would be more of a stout Red beer than a sweat cooler afterall I seen lot's of bill boards I could not read with the Beer in ? on them.
American beer brewed here is 5% or better as Canadians are not going to buy less than that! But really all mass produce Beer in Canada or the U.S tastes a bit the same. I call Bud Morning Beer lol Becks is okay for a mass produced Beer. I buy Blue here not Canadian as I am a Blue drinker. Being of German and Irish roots I like my beer! :lol:
Funny thing is I can't drink dry Red Wine without adding some sugar!!
Most Euopean Beers have a Skunk smell when you pop the cap but just give it 20 sec and they taste great!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Rolling Rock - extra pale... ale? Maybe that's why I like it.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!