Doc Hudson: Are you published anywhere?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Doc Hudson: Are you published anywhere?

Post by Catshooter »

I've been reading and enjoying your work here. But of course I need much, much more.

Got any more of your fine work out there anywhere?

:)

Cat
Kid Cossack
Levergunner

Re: Doc Hudson: Are you published anywhere?

Post by Kid Cossack »

I don't think he is, Cat, and I think that's a darned shame. Of course, every time I get in his butt about getting his work finished and published, he asks me how my novel is coming along. Then we talk about guns, politics and history.
Not all who wander are lost.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Catshooter wrote:I've been reading and enjoying your work here. But of course I need much, much more.

Got any more of your fine work out there anywhere?

:)

Cat
+1 :)
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

My only published, i.e. hard copy, works have been a couple of newspaper articles and co-author credit on a big research project from college days.

On-line, I used to have a regular column at the old Wyatt Earp firearms Emporium & mercantile, www.earp.com. There I posted some non-fiction opinion pieces, talked guns, gave advise, and posted a few short stories. Some of them can still be found on-line and some of them I've posted here over the years.

Every time I start to get stirred up to work on completing my novel, I think about the trouble my friend Andy has had trying to sell a novel, and get discouraged again. And Andy is a better, more experienced writer than I am.

i will eventually finish it for my own enjoyment if nothing else, but I make no promises of a timetable.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You have the write stuff, Friend :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Doc Hudson wrote:
Every time I start to get stirred up to work on completing my novel, I think about the trouble my friend Andy has had trying to sell a novel, and get discouraged again.
Forget about that, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. From what I've read so far, you sell, I'll buy! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

claybob86 wrote:
Doc Hudson wrote:
Every time I start to get stirred up to work on completing my novel, I think about the trouble my friend Andy has had trying to sell a novel, and get discouraged again.
Forget about that, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. From what I've read so far, you sell, I'll buy! :)
Literary agents are the problem.

Without a literary agent, publishers send back manuscripts unopened.

And it is next thing to impossible for an unknown writer to get an agent. Sort of a Catch 22 situation.

But I'm kncking around ideas in my head. I think I can finish the next chapter in prety short order, and I know how I want the next two chapters to go. From there it starts getting a little fuzzy.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Doc Hudson wrote:
claybob86 wrote:
Doc Hudson wrote:
Literary agents are the problem.

Without a literary agent, publishers send back manuscripts unopened.

And it is next thing to impossible for an unknown writer to get an agent. Sort of a Catch 22 situation.

But I'm kncking around ideas in my head. I think I can finish the next chapter in prety short order, and I know how I want the next two chapters to go. From there it starts getting a little fuzzy.

While in college I was faced with several unpalletable (to me) choices in english classes. One of them was getting published in magazines! The rest aboslolutely reeked! The long and short of it is this for you. The editor is basically a gate keeper. If you identify what the target audience want's in articles you sell. Otherwise you don't. Most magazines have writers guides... at least acording to what the class said. That having been said their is more money in the artwork mostly photos than in the articles.

Yes it is work but from what I have seen you have the skills to make some money at this. Probably with only marginally more effort than it takes to post your stories here. Once you identify the correct magazines that is. Step 1 is to get the writers guide to all of the magazines you think might be interested in publishing your stories!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Thanks for the advise Alan.

i do believe i will be writing some lettes asking for copies of the writer's guides for several magazines.

Image Image
UNITE!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Doc,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand exactly where you're coming from. J. K. Rowling was rejected many times before she ran across an editor smart enough to recognise a good book called "Harry Potter".

My father wrote four novels which I thought ranged from good to excellent, but never did get published. In his day if you couldn't get past an editor, self-publishing (vanity press) was the only other answer.

However, times have changed. Possibly you didn't know but with the advancement of computers/printers and the creation of the web, self-publishing has changed. Increasingly, authors are going the self-published route and then when they have sucess get noticed by a big publishing house and then published by them.

Read this link: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showth ... p?t=192641

The thread above is an author-to-be not unlike yourself. One of the posters in the thread is a guy who does self publishing. You may want to investigate this route. And you could pass it on to your friend Andy. We need more good authors!

Cat