OT: blacksmithing update or how to get a hernia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

OT: blacksmithing update or how to get a hernia

Post by JReed »

Ok here is an update for y'all. I have moved up from using a piece a track to striking on heavy metal. :D

So here is a pick of the new anvil.
No Idea what it's original use was but it works for me. Having it on the ground was not going to work though so I went in search of a suitable stump to put it on top of. After about a week of keeping my eyes open I found one that would work and brought it home. Now to mount it. The underside of this thing has a hollow that is 5 1/2" X 5 1/2" x 9 1/2" deep so I cut a post out of the top of the stump to fit into it this took care of worrying about it walking on top of the stump. The trick was getting it on top of and mated to the stump. First attempt I tried by my self :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yeah that didn't work this thing has got to be close to 300lbs how I got it out of the trunk of my car by my self I will never know. Second attempt I enlisted the help of my wife. We got it up to find that my post wasn't quite square and it wouldn't mate up so dumped it back on the ground and did some trimming. Third try was the charm we got it up on top and it went together the way I wanted it to. :D Then I realized that I had meant to sink the stump into the ground but hadn't yet. :shock: :oops: So I got my hole dug put it on the dolly and brute forced it over to the edge where I was able to get the stump on edge and walk it to the point where it dropped in to the hole. How I did all this with out doing serious damage to my self I will never know there was a couple of times that I questioned my own intelligence. But it is done and after letting it settle in to place over night I got to play on it this afternoon. :D
I must say this thing is nice strikes result in a dull thud instead of a loud ring and hot metal moves like wet clay. There is no movement or vibration at all. Not bad for free road find from a friend.

Here are some pics
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: blacksmithing update or how to get a hernia

Post by JerryB »

Well son, 30 years from now your wife will remind you why ya'll walk all humped up. But, I think you came up with a great anvil to work hot iron on, it looks good to me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

When i saw the title of this thread, the first thing to pop into my heads was,"The quickest way for a blacksmith to get a hernia is to try lugging his anvil around."

With that hollow base that ought to be a good anvil for shooting. of course if it turns over and comes straight down you have a heck of a time pulling it out of the ground..

I sorta miss working with iron. I don't claim to be any sort of great blacksmith, but I used to fabricate some right useful tools, hooks and other assorted metal work. Even made the wife a pretty nice bracelet from a piece ofstainless steel rod.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Blacksmith ingenuity. You got to love it.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ouch, back pain - don't go there. Looks very cool though! 8)
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

That's cool, looks like some kind of hitching post or the like. I remember moving my great-uncle's anvils, he was an old school blacksmith. The "little" one weighed about 150lbs, the big one took six good men to pick up according to Dad, it was over three feet long and 6" across the flat. We used a jin pole on the tractor with me sitting on the front to hold the tractor down so I was spared that experience. :lol:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Ya gonna take that thing back to CA when it's time to move? Looks like it'll get the job done.
ED
Yer never too old
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Neccesity the mother to getting things done. And, you gott'er done. Good on you, Jeremy. :D Now, let's see some product.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ed
Yep I plan on taking it with but the stump will stay behind.

As far as getting some work done I am picking up about 100lbs of coal this coming weekend and I have to pick up some decent stock. Got a few ideas of things I want to do just need the material to get er done.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Good on yer, Mr. Reed!

Nothing like imagination to cope with
an "unmovable object"!

-Stretch
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

My first anvil was a worn out pinion gear from a rotory sand dryer a bud told me about that could be retrieved from the scrap steel dumpster at his work... From tooth to tooth it ran about 16” across was about 10” thick with a shaft hole thru it about 4” in diameter.. The hole thru it was handy especially when lifting it.. A 2” pipe 4 foot long and a guy on each end got the job done without too many washers being cut when we moved it onto the stump... It still resides (buried now) on the side hill where the fella that scraped the area for paving dumped it...
Good luck and Wup that Arn...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ben
I tried to lift it via something threw the holes but the darn thing was too heavy for what I had on hand. Bent 2 4' by 1/2" pieces of rebar trying to lift it. So had to do it the old fashion way of just picking it up by hand. Next time I'll find some one with a fork lift or Bobcat. :D

I will have to keep an eye on the weather for this coming weekend. Hopefully it wont rain and I can get the forge lite and have some fun. I will let y'all know how it goes. Thanks all for the words of encouragement. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

JReed: "Next time I'll find some one with a fork lift or Bobcat."
Hey there Gunny:

Looks like a great setup, but I'm sure Dee is glad she doesn't have to help move that again.

When it's time to do that, I've got a Bobcat and would be glad to help...
01-02-04 Bobcat 5.jpg
But I just consulted him, and he's not up to it....
Bobcat Rug 01.JPG
:D :lol: :wink:

Have fun!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Thanks for the offer Daryl. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

ILO the Bob Cat...Go "Egyptian" on it .. dig the stump hole... drive a new stump in the metal base if you need a new stump...Use a hand truck ...mebbe with some cribbing to get the affair to tilt over & slide into and stand up in the hole..
Speaking of home made forges...I have a telescope my pop made when I just a kid in short pants.. His forge was the kind made from a car wheel...He used WWII surplus Bomb sight lenses plus other goodies he scrounged..... He used the forge to melt and cast aluminum to make the prism housing... The mold for it was a 2lb coffee can...He was going to night school machine shop classes at the time and took that chunk of aluminum to school & hogged it out...Much family fun has been had with that heirloom...With a 4.5 inch objective lens it makes a mighty fine.. if not on the somewhat large side... spotting scope with super field of view @ 20x. Good luck.. always fun to read about projects like these that you guys come up with...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ben that is way cool. I would love to see a pic of it if you still have it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

If wifey hasn't hidden it on me again, I might get a snap of it...
WIL TERRY