Win 94 parts inventory ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L8agin
Levergunner 2.0

Win 94 parts inventory ?

Post by L8agin »

Need advice on building a small parts inventory for my winchester 94's. I have rifles in 357, 44, 45 colt and of course 30-30. I understand there are a few parts that are caliber specific and those that are more prone to failure, I want to have on hand.
Extracters, ejecters, cartridge carrier's ?? What does experience indicate?
Would apreciate the benefit of the probably the largest most knowledgable source I know of.
Your input is appreciated-thanks in advance
L8
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Win 94 parts inventory ?

Post by Tycer »

357:
u346432060 carrier spring cover 357 magnum $3
u346421180 carrier spring 357 magnum $2
u341450220 carrier 357 magnum $20
u344912370 cartridge block screw $1
u346410100 cartridge block $4
u346401830 ejector spring, 44 Mag, 357 Mag, 45 Colt $1
u341850310 ejector $4
u341900720 extractor $12
u346400380 magazine spring rifle $2
u343030110 link, 357 magnum $22
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Been shooting Win 94s for over 40 years. I've NEVER broken a part.
However I have replaced broken parts on used guns I've bought.
Generically speaking I keep a firing pin, a carrier spring, and a set of screws for the pre and post 64 Wins I've owned. I've had the same spares for over 30 years. Never needed 'em.

I've been shooting the same AE model in .45 Colt since 1986, never needed anything, but if you think you might need some spares I'd suggest a firing pin, an extractor, a carrier spring and a set of screws.

Tycers list for the .357s is good too. They seem to be more problematic than the other calibers.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Been shooting Win 94s for over 40 years. I've NEVER broken a part.
However I have replaced broken parts on used guns I've bought.
Generically speaking I keep a firing pin, a carrier spring, and a set of screws for the pre and post 64 Wins I've owned. I've had the same spares for over 30 years. Never needed 'em.
<snip>
Tycers list for the .357s is good too. They seem to be more problematic than the other calibers.
Joe
Ditto to the above! Although I must say, I've used more spare parts of Winnie 94s belonging to "others" than I have used on my own! :twisted:

I've been shooting the same Top Eject model in .30-30 since 1980, and although I converted the carbine to a rifle in 1989, I've never needed anything.

But, to quote Joe again,
...if you think you might need some spares I'd suggest a firing pin, an extractor, a carrier spring and a set of screws.
The only thing I'd add, would be to have a take-down manual, either a hard copy or a on-line link handy. Even tho' I've built ones of parts, rebuilt two others, and have fixed others that friends have broken, I find having a reference handy to keep myself from getting ahead of myself is money in the bank... in the cost of broken parts from trying to force something that shouldn't. The only part that seems to consistently show up as problematic in other folks guns, is the link. Mostly in the pistol length actions, but ocassionally in the .30-30. I haven't noticed a specific trend in production years, but the later ones (AEs) appear rather frequently, with the much older and therefore expected wear appearing from time to time. The link issue can be fixed without a new part, but having a spare means you can replace the worn one on the gun and fix it at one's leisure.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
L8agin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by L8agin »

Great! Thanks.--in a hurry right now will chat a bit latter, but want to add that spare parts are like insurance-there worth it especially if you don't have to use it.
L8
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

that .357 ejector is prone to break, and if you install a new one, it helps to smooth the bar next to it so it doesn't rub.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Definitely get ejectors, I've broken 3 of them in my .357. They are a crappy design with a weak casting for a spring rod. I'm going to dremel a slot and braze a peice of drill rod in mine when I get around to fixing it this time.