OT: Bicycling and My Health

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

OT: Bicycling and My Health

Post by Blaine »

When I got the bike at the end of Jan., I didn't realize how quickly beneficial it would be. I've brought my BP down from 200/100 to 120/70 or lower. My blood sugar 30 day average is down from 400 to 139. I'm still on all my meds for BP and diabeties, but it doesn't look like long before I can start cutting them back some....Only thing, is :evil: I've only lost about 5-8 lbs and hopefully that will follow after a little while longer. I also started on a CPAP about the same time as the bike, so that gets a credit, as well. It tickles me to death that I can knock out about 12 miles in a couple hours and not get chest pain :lol: I know that's slow, but not bad for an old, fat tuba player. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Bicycling and My Health

Post by JReed »

Good deal. Keep up the good work.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Good job Blaine. Keep it up.

Get a trailer and ride up to Tonasket and join us for a silhouette shoot. If you do I will.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That is inspiring. thanks for sharing!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Good man! Keep it up. Time to get mine out, as soon as the Spring winds die down. I usually hike 4-5 miles a day, and the bike helps to break the routine up. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Go Blaine! Awesome! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Blaine,

I call bicycling the lazy man's exercise - you do it sitting down! :lol: My FIL bought my wife a 24-speed Comfort bike 3 years ago, and I tried to keep up on my old (OLD!!) 10-speed. That didn't last long. I bought one like hers and we ride as often as we can.

I found I could exercise until I was blue in the face, and I wouldn't lose weight unless I ate less. Ain't no fun, but it works.

Glenn
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Kewl and congrats.

I enjoy cycling too. When I had time, I hit the mountain bike trails or even the streets.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BlaineG wrote:Only thing, is :evil: I've only lost about 5-8 lbs
Muscle weighs more than fat... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Way to go Blaine, got get some new tires on mine and get back at it myself. I found I could get a much better work out on the bike. My 28" inseam don't seen to let me walk fast enough to keep my heart rate in my target zone. :shock:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I used to commute to work on mine till I got hit by a truck about 18 years ago. It still leaves a lasting impression.

ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET! I'm alive today because I did.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Blaine nice goin'. The CPAP is something else isn't it? Got mine 3 years ago........hitting those deep sleep levels instead of snoring and snorting all night provides awesome rest. After 3 months on it, my blood pressure numbers went from 148/90 to 125/68 without medication. Definitely promotes sleeping through without getting up 3 times for the bathroom.

Any of you fellers who have thought about getting one of these machines to combat sleep apnea, consider getting tested for it. The amount of level 3 and level 4 deep sleep it helps you attain is beneficial in many ways. One of the biggest improvements for me is the ability to drive 10-11 hours at a clip without getting sleepy. Used to get drowsy driving across town! Good sleep is beneficial for the ticker too. I'm 60. Wish I'd gotten the machine 20 years ago! Guys, I don't mean to sound like a shill, but if you're sleeping badly due to apnea, you have probably forgotten how great you can feel after a good nights sleep. My wife had to tell me to quit pushing friends to get tested so now I'm bugging you all, DONE!

Continued good health Blaine.

T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

well, I'm obviously not going to ask whether you have a scabbard on your bicycle. :mrgreen:

bicycling is great - steady aerobic exercise, no shocks to your joints.
Amazing recovery in your BP - most excellent.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I imagine the doc's here would say that the weight is secondary to the vast improvements you've made on your BP and blood sugar levels. Good for you T3! Keep it up and the weight will come off. You don't want to lose too much too fast in any case, as it is just easier to bounce back. You give your body time to adjust to the new weight as it decreases and you'll feel much better for it. I shed 50 pounds over the course of a couple years back in my early thirties doing a combination of brisk walking, then running, weight lifting and push-ups/sit-ups (crunches). Worked myself up to doing 250 good push-ups (in sets of 50) and 1,000 crunches (in sets of 100) every other morning. I could eat anything I wanted and still lost weight. My back never felt better too. Unfortunately my knees started having problems. I stopped running, kids came along, and walla - I put 40 pounds of it back. :( Now my back is a mess and every day it seems like I discover a new ache or pain! :shock: I need to do what you did and find something aerobic I can tolerate and get to it. Thanks for the inspirational post!!! :D
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Outstanding and congratulations!

I need to do something similar. Maybe a bike is the thing.

I'm on BP meds now again... just minimal but I'd gotten off of them previously by hiking, no beer and cutting back on the food. Did that to make weight so that I could take my oldest son to Philmont - BSA trip.

But, alas, with my job and travel and other excuses.... I've gained the weight back and my BP went back up - not real bad but elevated enough that I need a pill dang it.

What I'd really like is one of those endless pools - the ones that create a current that you can swim against. That's the very best excersize and with just 30 minutes a day, you can get back into fighting trim and stay there - and be able to drink some beer.

I need a lot of excersize to combat the age/food consumption ratio thing. I don't eat excessively but apparently more than I need and along with some beer - that keeps me 30+lb.s overweight.

Obviously this thread hit a nerve :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have been an avid cyclist for over 30 years. Once, my average was 120 miles a week, but now that I am in my 60s it has slowed to half that. Not because I'm not up to it, either, but because I have plenty other things to do and I'm lazy. After going through chemo and radiation my ability to tolerate cold has diminished and fair, warm weather is now my friend. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Alas, Beer is almost out of the question :cry: I'll have two maybe twice a month....three or four and I feel bad the next day :P This old age thing sucks :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Congrats! Swimming's my thing--with similar benefits to the cycling or running without joint issues or sore bum :-) But those who've touched upon the eating thing and "exercising til you're blue in the face" are absolutely right, at least for me. That weight comes off for awhile then you plateau. Unless diet is addressed, it just doesn't come off like you'd want it to.

But, exercise it critical to conditioning and overall health. Even without ideal weight loss, with the swimming the heart and lungs get in great shape--with no shock. My BP, never terrible despite what my weight would suggest, did come down to healthier levels, and stress down along with it. My chief nemesis: sugary drinks--and not even of the pop variety. I like to start off my day with a *big* glassful of orange or other tropoical juice. A real no-no. There's 25 % of your daily calories right off the bat--and of the wrong kind :-( Ouch. A small glass is still a good thing--no harm, but like the diet drinks (and certainly regular soda), watch the volume...nothing good in any kind of soda, and I've been a big diet drinker too. Hard to break those bad habits, but you gotta.

+1 to the idea of the swimming machine if you've got the $ and room. I don't but would consider it strongly if the opportunity came along. Stick it in an insulated or "greenhouse" enclosure and swim all year long. Otherwise, join the "Y" if you've got one.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Turns out diet soda really isn't...go figger :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

gak, the endless pools are now available in an "above ground" design - kind of like the typical above ground pool only with their jet set-up. They are around $5K now. That's not out of my reach but I have too many other $$ obligations right now - my daughter's wedding and my middle child's college... for a couple.

Of course, if I could bring myself to do it, I could raise the cash by selling off a good portion of my gun collection... and I probably should for the sake of my health... but a bike would be a lot less :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:Turns out diet soda really isn't...go figger :roll:
Thats what i heard too --- they say it turns on some kind of food receptor in your brain that makes you eat more

Keep up the good work with the bike Blaine ! I am "treadmilling" my life away in hotel exercise rooms. It will be nice to get home and go for a bike ride someday - 12 miles in an hour or two sounds like a decent enough pace to me (but i try to do a little more because i cant keep my nose out of the beer :lol: )
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BlaineG wrote:When I got the bike at the end of Jan., I didn't realize how quickly beneficial it would be. I've brought my BP down from 200/100 to 120/70 or lower. My blood sugar 30 day average is down from 400 to 139. I'm still on all my meds for BP and diabeties, but it doesn't look like long before I can start cutting them back some....Only thing, is :evil: I've only lost about 5-8 lbs and hopefully that will follow after a little while longer. I also started on a CPAP about the same time as the bike, so that gets a credit, as well. It tickles me to death that I can knock out about 12 miles in a couple hours and not get chest pain :lol: I know that's slow, but not bad for an old, fat tuba player. :wink:

Blaine,
Well God Bless you!
Your are on your journey.It is so addicting to feel good isnt it? Those numbers that you have come down to are nothing less than remarkable.
Now,Don't stop.
Even treat yourself to a new bike(what do you ride)(The Hybrids are great)
The weight it will come down,I promise
Go on the Spongy Wonder Website and read about these seats(only thing I use)
Please keep us on to date on how the journey of health is going and keep riding!
Proud of you-----------God Bless :)

Another big one check you resting pulse.(watch that start to really drop)In the warmer months mine drops to around 38-40 BPM
Riding 120 miles weekly on a Cannondale M700

Yours will be in 50-60's before you know it!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

madman4570 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:When I got the bike at the end of Jan., I didn't realize how quickly beneficial it would be. I've brought my BP down from 200/100 to 120/70 or lower. My blood sugar 30 day average is down from 400 to 139. I'm still on all my meds for BP and diabeties, but it doesn't look like long before I can start cutting them back some....Only thing, is :evil: I've only lost about 5-8 lbs and hopefully that will follow after a little while longer. I also started on a CPAP about the same time as the bike, so that gets a credit, as well. It tickles me to death that I can knock out about 12 miles in a couple hours and not get chest pain :lol: I know that's slow, but not bad for an old, fat tuba player. :wink:

Blaine,
Well God Bless you!
Your are on your journey.It is so addicting to feel good isnt it? Those numbers that you have come down to are nothing less than remarkable.
Now,Don't stop.
Even treat yourself to a new bike(what do you ride)(The Hybrids are great)
The weight it will come down,I promise
Go on the Spongy Wonder Website and read about these seats(only thing I use)
Please keep us on to date on how the journey of health is going and keep riding!
Proud of you-----------God Bless :)

Another big one check you resting pulse.(watch that start to really drop)In the warmer months mine drops to around 38-40 BPM
Riding 120 miles weekly on a Cannondale M700

Yours will be in 50-60's before you know it!
Not a supreme bike, but ok: A Trek Navagator 2.0 Less than 500 decked out with fenders and a repair kit. They wanted 30 bucks for a kickstand, and that would have been a deal breaker, so they threw it in :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Blaine,
They are a very good bike. Trek is one of the best.
Here is the thing.You have absolutely within 3 short months radically changed your health.
If I was you I would be proud as a peacock. How about sometime some photos of you/bike/places you ride.
I just am amazed of those numbers.A Big Thumbs up to you! :mrgreen:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well that just tickles me pink, Blaine. Good for you. Keep it up. I've got to get into some kind of exercise regimen. After working 10 hours I find it hard to find the gumption.
Old Law Dawg
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Excellent-Keep up the good work :)
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote: This old age thing sucks :lol:
But is considerably better than the alternative...
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good for You Blaine,Congradulations. :) it is amazing what rideing a bike can do for us. And Thank You for the post as it exactly what I needed to get My old butt in gear.winter in Ohio is over and I got My bike out yesterday.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,
Now Blaine showing what some good bike riding can do(incredible)
For those wanting to keep doing it in (very cold winter months)to keep up fitness level.
Get a Schwinn Evolution Comp indoor trainer($600-$700) I know, not cheap but with results like what he got,
that is nothing compared to the benefits paid back.
Also,they make wheel stands/supplying resistance that you use your current bike wheels lifted(for indoors)but when able the outdoors riding cannot be beat,
There is cheaper ones than the Schwinn but that is a Commercial grade unit and its worth every cent.
Ours is 10 years old and "nothing has broke" not even the HD chain or drive belt, and it has aprox. 1800hrs on it.(27000 miles)
No Doctor trips for either of us in half a decade(except wifes yearly womens checkup) so riding must work.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I have a Trek Allant. I love it.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That's great, Blaine! It's an inspiration for me to get my bike out of the garden shed. Now to actually ride it again ....... that is the tough part.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

BlaineG wrote:. . . I know that's slow, but not bad for an old, fat tuba player. :wink:
Good work. I ride too, with same kind of results.

12 mph is a standard man's pace, 8 mph for a woman.

6 isn't bad. Standards are for skinny, 20 year old kids who don't own lever guns.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

BlaineG wrote: This old age thing sucks :lol:
Sure beats the alternative, doesn't it? :D