New to me Winchester 94-30WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

New to me Winchester 94-30WCF

Post by salvo »

All I can say is I’m a sucker for a 94!
mod71alaska had this one for sale in the forum classifieds and I just couldn’t pass on it, Victor sent me some more pictures and the deal was done. It actually looks much better in person than the pictures that he sent. Victor also said that it has been used a bit but well cared for and he was right someone took very good care of this plus 60 year old rifle. The serial number puts it early in the range of 1943-48 when the Winchester records were lost. I would guess from the serial #13386xx that it probably dates around 1944?
Well here are some pictures I just took.
Thank you Victor! It’s staying in the Levergun family.

Two questions for you all , do you know if the rear sight elevator is stock? I have always been impressed with the elevators on my 50's vintage 94's, this one is flat and rather plain and short. Since the rear sight dove-tail sits only three inches away from the receiver I figure it must need to be small and plain for clearance?
Does anyone have an old front sight cover they want to sell?
Here’s a pic of the elevator.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

model 94

Post by brucew44guns »

No shame in buying a nice 94 like this. I'd like to travel for awhile with Victor and just have opportunity to buy guns he turns down or rejects, he sure gets some dandies for sure. I'll probably have to buy one from him some day just to be in the club. He told me recently that he's going to sell a Win model 70 in 375 HH, nice deer rifle if you really like to blast them hard!! Im glad for your good purchase here!! Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice gun!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Congrats, A SWEET rifle indeed!! :wink:
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

brucew44guns, Victor does have some nice ones and I hope you get to buy one from him, a really great guy to deal with and talk to.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

nice find!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Why would you want that old thing :D :D :D
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

Very nice! I just took the sight hood off another flat band I picked up last weekend. I will gladly send it to you if you'll email your adress to me.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Salvo,
Nice rifle! The elevator is wrong but its no big deal. Is what you want is a 3-C. These are common and can be found at any good gunshow along with the sight hood. If not, just google "Winchester Parts" and you will find someone who has them.

I would guess your rifle was made in the beginning of the war as it has pre-war features. Your barrel band is of the pre-war type as it was changed to the "flat band" during the war and up to around 1949. Wood to metal fit on your rifle is excellent as that started to deteriorate during and after the war. The upper tang was D&T which stopped sometime around 1930. Even if a 'smith d&t 'ed it, its OK as tang sights were still popular at the time and it could be considered contemporary.

Rifles within your serial number range are known as "war rifles" but with the early features, could also be considered pre-war.----nice snag------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thank you Guncase, I sure appreciate that and will send you an e-mail.

Sixgun, thanks for the great info. I wondered about the tang sight D&T but there was no sign of one ever being installed and it looks perfect I thought it was factory.
Is the correct rear sight elevator the one that has the thumb pad that is in front of the buckhorn? And do you know the story of the different 3" spacing of the rear sight dove-tail?
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Scott, here is a close-up photo I just took of the rear sight elevator on a mint early 1940's 94 of mine that is a little earlier than yours. The elevators are different. Although Winchester was notorious for all kinds of parts mixing and matching, the elevator probably is not original. The wear and patina of the sight elevator and the rear sight appear consistent so the elevator in all likelihood is old. With all the handling and photos I took of the 94, I'm sorry I just didn't pick up on the rear sight elevator to point it out.

SIXGUN: The tang sight D&T is original on Scott's 94. Winchester factory tang sight D&T lasted through approx. serial # 1,350,000 according to the book "The Winchester Model 94: The First 100 Years" by Robert Renneberg.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Oh don't worry about that Victor and thanks for the picture. I'll find one!
I sure thought that tang sight hole looked to good to be other than factory.
Thanks again Victor.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Scott...

According to Robert Renneberg, here's the info on the rear sight dovetail location on the Model 94 carbine you asked about:

2 3/8 inch before serial # 960,000

3 1/16 inch "some serial #s between 960,000 and 1,350,000"

4 inch "beginning in the 1,100,000 range."

(Page 59)

The 3 1/16 inch location is least common.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congratulations! Very cool!!! 8)
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That is really a beaut Salvo! :P :P :P Yep, I'm jealous.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

That's just beautiful. Ya done good! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

claybob86 wrote:That's just beautiful. Ya done good! :mrgreen:
Ditto, and Victor is a class guy to deal with.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New to me Winchester 94-30WCF

Post by MacEntyre »

salvo wrote:It actually looks much better in person than the pictures...
That is a nice looking rifle, which would separate me from my money easily!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

It is common to see upper tangs D & T'ed up to about the 1,350,000 s.n. range. Your gun is correct except for the elevator, an easy and expensive fix.

It's amazing what you got for your money from Winchester in those days. A beautifully contructed rifle that would last several lifetimes.

Congratulations. Nice gun.

A Winchester Collector
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Beautiful rifle. :mrgreen:
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

That was supposed to read "an easy and inexpensive fix".

Sorry

A Winchester Collector
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Salvo,

That's a good looking pre-64, you ought to be proud of that one.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks for all the help guy's and compliments on the 94. It's my oldest 94 so far and really enjoy small details like the -30 W.C.F.- on the barrel.
I really need to buy a few books about Winchesters history, especially since I am so attracted to them.
I posted a WTB in the classified forum, having a hard time finding one of the proper rear sight elevators.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan