Advantages of Marlin '89 or'94 over Win 92?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Advantages of Marlin '89 or'94 over Win 92?

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I know everyone has their personal, emotional reasons, but the people here would probably have the most knowledge pertaining to this:
The pistol cartridge models (Marlin 1889, 1894) were and are excellent and better than the Winchester 1892.
and, is this a true statement?
Why do Cowboy action shooters prefer the 94 Marlins?
May be my preferences are clouded by my emotions, but I personally think that the Model 92 action is superior to the Marlin '94...am I wrong?
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Re: Advantages of Marlin '89 or'94 over Win 92?

Post by firefuzz »

I agree with you, I much prefer the '92 Winchester over the Marlin models. And as I've said before, did ya ever see the Duke packin' a Marlin?

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

As to your quote:

"Why do Cowboy action shooters prefer the 94 Marlins?"

I think part of the reason is that the Marlins were and certainly are now more plentiful and available. There are other reasons -- maybe side eject.

As to which is best action wise, I can't say with certainty but all have stood the tests of time.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thhe '92 is definitely the stronger design. "Better" is too subjective, it is NOT a definitive statement. Yes, the '94 Marlin is better if you want a scope, better if you want a shorter lever stroke, which is the predominate reason cowboy shooters like 'em. That and the fact they still say "made in USA". Relatively inexpensive, when compared to an original Winchester 1892 or even the Italian clones of the toggle-link Winchesters.

Pre-short stoke kits for the Italian guns, the Marlin was THE rifle in the hands of a top shooter. Plus, in those days you only used one pistol, so the rifle was often where you could win or lose a stage.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Cowboy Action shooting requirements bias participants towards Marlins and Win '73 models because they can be cycled faster and they use low power loads. For those requirements, the '92 models are at an advantage.

For those of us who don't do Cowboy Action shooting, the 92's stronger action and lighter weight make it a much better choice over Win '73 and its heavy and weaker action.

So, 'better' depends upon what you want your tool to do just like with everything else.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Griff - That phrase you used ("still say "made in USA"") may have meaning for guys like you and me but is meaningless for many others now-a-days. Just look at the reproduction guns used in CAS, etc.. It's a shame but sadly, a reality.

Not knocking anyone or their choices. Just my observation and my .02¢
ED
Yer never too old
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I bought my Marlin '94 Cowboy because of availability, price, it was CCH and had an octagon bbl., which I like.
Old Law Dawg
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

kimwcook wrote:I bought my Marlin '94 Cowboy because of availability, price, it was CCH and had an octagon bbl., which I like.
Exactly the reasons I bought a Puma - availability, price, CCH, & octagon bbl. Marlins matching that criteria are, and have been, sparse for some time. I know Bud's hasn't had any since back before dirt.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Chas., I bought mine at least 10 years ago.
Old Law Dawg
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Maybe I should ask this question; if you had a choice between a Marlin '89, Marlin '94, or a Winchester Model 92...all in the same caliber, all at the same price, and all in 99% shape; Which one would you take?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Maybe I should ask this question; if you had a choice between a Marlin '89, Marlin '94, or a Winchester Model 92...all in the same caliber, all at the same price, and all in 99% shape; Which one would you take?
Depends. If the Winny had that crossbolt safety abomination, I'd pick a Rossi M92 over all of them.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Maybe I should ask this question; if you had a choice between a Marlin '89, Marlin '94, or a Winchester Model 92...all in the same caliber, all at the same price, and all in 99% shape; Which one would you take?
1892 without a doubt!
Modoc ED wrote:Griff - That phrase you used ("still say "made in USA"") may have meaning for guys like you and me but is meaningless for many others now-a-days. Just look at the reproduction guns used in CAS, etc.. It's a shame but sadly, a reality.
Not knocking anyone or their choices. Just my observation and my .02¢
Personally, I own 1 Marlin, 3 Rossis, 2 Italian toggle-link clones, 1 Browning and 29 Winchesters. That "made in USA" is a secondary consideration to me. Fitness for purpose is more important , my 1886 sez "Made in Japan." It's a VERY fine reproduction, yet... I don't think I could bring myself to buy their new 94 that sez the same.

If what I want sez "Made in USA" on it, so much the better, but I'm not buying something I don't want to somehow complete a "look." I've known cowboy action shooters who've remarked their Brazilian and Italian clones so they look like originals. Not to rip off a buyer, but to simply look/feel like they're in 18xx. To me, that's silly. And in today's "global economy" of multi-national corporations, the numbers of foreign investors and stockholders dilute any real meaning to "buy American." My new Chevy p/u has an engine from Canada, trans from Mexico, and wiring harnesses from all over Asia, but... was assembled in TX!

The fact that Marlins are still made here in the USA, and that reason alone, I'll not knock Marlins; although I don't care for them, (that lever pivot point is a sticking point for me), I'd encourage anyone that wants a levergun, to give a Marlin a very close look-see.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

From the extensive research I've done, there seems to be very little difference in the quality and/or usefulness of the Marlin 1894 and the Winchester 92. Regardless, I like to do business with companies who seem to still care about their customers. That's partly why I like Marlin. They've been making them basically the same way from the same materials for a long time. Heck, they were even family owned until very recently. I just like to reward that kind of thing.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
B-92 Steven
Levergunner

Post by B-92 Steven »

Winchester 1892, and the 1886 for that matter, were the leader in design and strength. Marlin was trying to play catch-up. While I like the idea of made in America, as already said, it doesn't really mean anything today. There has always been a global economy, remember John Browning even went to Europe to complete his last design. I can not say for certain, but where does Marlin get all its raw materials?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The only real advantage is that the Marlin's are a whole lot easier to clean and work on.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I used to have a hangup about the words "made in Japan" on my guns, until I purchased my first Browning BLR (older steel frame model) back nearly 20 yrs now. I actually almost didn't buy it, because it was made in Japan, but after I used it for a while, I found out, that they were above average in quality, and performance.

Then I eventually ended up with several Japan made, Brownings, including the 92 carbine, which of course isn't made anymore, as well as the Browning 86's, but they all were top quality, and much better then anything being made in the US at the time.

I am glad Marlins are still made in the USA, but I doubt I will ever buy another Marlin 94, because even though they have been making them for a hundred years, they still have problems, or often develope problems, and it's not just a few that have problems, so in this case, I will pass on made in USA.

However, for cowboy shooting, I would choose a top quality Italian 73, because of the slick action. For everything else, I will probably stick with my Jap Browning 92, because it's the best 92 ever made, unfortunately it's not made anymore either, but worth the high price if you find one.
NRA Life Member, Patron
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Buy 1 of each, use them and post back in a year. I am keeping My Marlins.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Original? A 92 without question. I might sell it & buy 2 89's but a 92 is definately worth more money than a comprable Marlin.

Modern production I have several Marlins but only one Rossi. They cost about the same.

If it matters, and it never will to most of us, a 92 is a stronger action. Its my favorite of Brownings lever designs, but is a complicated thing. One of the biggest advantages of the Marlin is simplicity I think & that only matters to some of us. Its a very subjective thing deciding whats best & what matters for YOU.