Our Favorite Engraver Strikes Again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Our Favorite Engraver Strikes Again

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Close your eyes Mike D., this is hard to look at. He's got an 1886 this time and has added a couple of barrels. Apparently, he's let the gold plate wear off of the receiver. Or, he was going for an aged look this time. :wink:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =161473469
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: Our Favorite Engraver Strikes Again

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Actually, I don't mind the scroll-work too much, but that deer/elk/red-deer is hideous. It looks like Bullwinkle is smiling or laughing...!

Picture 22 and 23 look like the factory stamping on the barrel is shallow. Is that a sign that the barrels have been hit on a buffing wheel of some sort..?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

oh, my. :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Stunning! :mrgreen:
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

:shock: Oh, the humanity!!!

My eyes!! My eyes!!

Whoever screwed up that rifle should have his parental rights to touch firearms revoked!!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Actually, I don't mind the scroll-work too much, but that deer/elk/red-deer is hideous. It looks like Bullwinkle is smiling or laughing...!

Picture 22 and 23 look like the factory stamping on the barrel is shallow. Is that a sign that the barrels have been hit on a buffing wheel of some sort..?
I agree the scroll work on the receiver is pretty darned goo. But whoever did those cartoon deer clearly never saw a real one. Ludicrious!

I actually consider the gold bands on the barrel fairly tasteful, but that gold fore-end cap is a bit much.

I also agree that the roll-engraving looks to have suffered under a buffing wheel.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

like the concept. the wood looks nice, but no thanks.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

That is one stunning outfit till you get to those "animals" scratched into the reciever. Maybe a person could epoxy a peso or silver dollar over them.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

That fool took a perfectly good late 1910s '86 and proceeded to butcher it nicely. The extra barrels are complete fantasy re-bores from of original barrels and he couldn't even get the caliber roll markings correct. Sorry, y'all, but that abomination doesn't deserve a second look. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I think there's ONE zero (maybe 2) too many on that starting price.

There is no factory letter available for this rifle.
Heck no there ain't, not in that configuration; they'd never had llet that abomination leave. Ain't that "A" suffix indicative of a factory rebuild? If so, I wonder just what was done. IMO, the worse sin is that atrocious wood work. It looks I did it... and that's one part of a rebuild I farm out!

Shameful, but... unfortunately the adage that "...a fool & his money are soon parted" is all too true!
Last edited by Griff on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cwo4uscgret
Levergunner

Post by cwo4uscgret »

gosh - I never saw that model gun before but it reeks of turd...I am not surprised there is no factory letter; I imagine it would read like this:

Dear Sir,

We have never seen one of our original rifles destroyed as badly as yours. We would like to recommend several quality engravers for you to consider for your next counterfeit gun; not to help you sell the gun, but because the gun deserves better treatment then "the antlered dog" you try to pass off as a stag on the receiver. Please consider one of these engravers.

Additionally, we recommend the AB See Portable Engraving Pantograph to enable that "machine cut" look (as opposed to the crude hand cut) to the lettering on the gun. The AB See Pantograph makes deep, sharp letters and will help you make a presentable rifle. Like official government documents however, please understand that AB See's products also cut micro-fineline letters deep in the groove that spell out the words "not original engraving" repeatedly so under 10x magnification everyone will know your fradulent work.

Other then that, it is a halfway good looking rifle.

Thanks,

UB Fooled
Chief, Fraudulent Gun Branch
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

If you haven't eaten yet, go to the original link, and click on "view sellers other auctions." :shock:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Take a look at this Colt he did..!

:shock:

Someone should take his engraving hammer away and throw it in the smelter for this abomination.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Take a look at this Colt he did..!

:shock:

Someone should take his engraving hammer away and throw it in the smelter for this abomination.
That has got to be the ugliest colt I've ever seen!!! I wouldn't let that in my home if he paid me $3,000 to take it!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Looks like someone was let loose with a brick bolster.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

I think you guys are just jealous :wink:

The deer look like they are smiling, just like the simpsons 'santas little helper'
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You gotta learn somehow. He's gotten better.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

The rifle won’t letter, outside the Cody letterable range. My guess is that’s what the seller is counting on…cannot be proven to be fake.

The “A” suffix denotes a factory change to the series. In this case the “A” stands for the screw in magazine tube; earlier 1886s (pre 1903) magazine tubes did not screw in.

Putting the gold plating, engraving and multi barrels aside; the barrel addy on two of the barrels are incorrect.

No patent date on the TD lever.
No W.C.F. following the 45-90,
No WP on the barrels that I can see.

But what gets me is the “factory engraved 1 of 100” that he’s selling. What no good
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I find it very difficult to believe that GB actually condones this sort of outright fakery and lying by a seller. In this case, the guns should be removed forthwith and the "seller" banned from the site. :x
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Tycer wrote:You gotta learn somehow. He's gotten better.
I do agree with you there, he has gotten better. His gold wire on the ends of the barrels is quite straight this time. And his scroll work is improved. Though the engraving on the spring cover is somewhat misaligned. I'm not sure why he would gold plate it and then put that kind of wear on the receiver though. The gold plated forearm caps and takedown rings don't look worn to me and thus don't match with the receiver at all. He's apparently a big fan of the stipled background ... especially on that revolver that deerwhacker444 had the link to.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

At first, I was urged to fire a long, "explanatory" email to the buffoon but thought better of it. He is so deluded that my stepping down to his level would only serve to "feed the fire", as it were. The moron has a propensity to take decent guns and completely destroy any actual originality. Most of his "offerings" are fantasy guns at best, and outrageously done ones at that. Anyone falling for his BS will forever be angry with themselves. His "NO REFUND" policy is also indicative of his knowledge that his guns are not what they appear to be. It's sad, but the gun show circuit is fraught with these types of people, only out to make a buck at the expense of the unsuspecting and inexperienced customer. Gun shops are little better. Some of the absolute CR*P I've overheard in these places makes my hair stand on end. :x
cwo4uscgret
Levergunner

Post by cwo4uscgret »

He's on a much worse scale, then the guy who does gun shows around Michigan who seems to have an overabundance of CMP M1 Garand and Carbines. At least he displays the CMP Certificates with the guns...
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

As a fun shooting non-collector set up the nice wood and interchangeable front ends are cool. I would think you would have much better luck selling it that way--- without the engraving and gold work. A nice reblue, the interchangeable barrels and a note that this is a hunting-shooter set up and not a factory 1 of'. Oh yes--- along with an appropriate reduction of the asking price from fantasy island! :shock:
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Like others have said, the scroll work is pretty good but the cartoon critters - not so much.

I say mash his fingers! :shock:
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I think the buck on the left side of the receiver is actually smiling. Love the "Made in USA" carved into the barrels just down from the original Winchester roll marks. :wink:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"... his scrollwork has gotten better...?"

Only in comparison to some of his earlier attempts... It is still ragged, uneven, angular and sloppy... No, I'm not an engraver -- I couldn't do much better -- which is WHY I don't engrave guns... The cartoons of elk & deer on the left side of the receiver are an absolute abomination.

He does seem to like the "punch-dot" background, and has become marginally more proficient at it, until you look at what he did to one of the foreend caps...

PRACTICE PLATES seem to be the best answer to this madness... I doubt he has ever heard of them...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

cwo4uscgret wrote:He's on a much worse scale, then the guy who does gun shows around Michigan who seems to have an overabundance of CMP M1 Garand and Carbines. At least he displays the CMP Certificates with the guns...
There's such a thing as a CMP certificate? Funny, I didn't get one.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I think the buck on the left side of the receiver is actually smiling. Love the "Made in USA" carved into the barrels just down from the original Winchester roll marks. :wink:
The "MADE IN USA" is an original marking on the later 1886 Winchesters. It is on the left side of the barrel, forward of the rear sight. :)