Remington Model 8 or 81..?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Remington Model 8 or 81..?

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Can any of you guys determine from this photo what model the top rifle is with any certainty? This is in a local auction sale bill, might have to go check it out. They don't have it labeled correctly, although they might be correct with the caliber, 30 Rem.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Re: Remington Model 8 or 81..?

Post by barbarossa »

Its a model 8.The model 81 was made with pistol grip only.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I am not sure as to the model, but I know they are a great rifle. My friend has one in 30 rem that used to belong to a cousin of my Dad. The pump/foreend has notches down both sides and my buddy has added a few himself. Ammo is getting hard to find but you only need one per deer. Remington's answer to the 30wcf. good luck.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

pretty sure it's a model 8, I'm also pretty danged sure all the 81's had pistol gripped stocks.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

As said, its definately a model 8.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Model 8, they had the straight grip, crescent buttplate and the schnabel forend. The 81's had the rounded forend and pistol grips and shotgun style buttplate. Had a Mdl 8 in .35 for several years when I was a kid. It was my first centerfire rifle.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Special Model 8s had pistol grips sometimes but never did 81s have straight stocks. That is an 8, likely in .30 Rem. There's a Lyman tang sight in classifieds just for that gun... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

If you'd like to read about a highly interesting fellow who used the model 8 a lot--grizzlies too, try Alibris or other used book seller and ask for the title: Crusoe Of Lonesome Lake, by Leland F. Stowe. There's a sequel to this book and also a couple of related books written by Ralph Edward's daughter and titled Fogswamp and the other written by Ralph's sister-in-law.

Ralph killed 50 grizzlies and then stopped counting. His son-in-law killed a record book grizzly that was charging him with a 30-30. Blew it's brains out and it stopped very close to his feet! Believe I read about this in an old Outdoor Life magazine.

Ralph returned from the First World War and bought his model 8 before returning to his cabin in the wilds of British Columbia, Canada. Great books!

Edit: Forgot to mention, Ralph's model 8 was chambered for the 35 Remington cartridge. Ralph also killed a bull that had just mauled him with this gun.

Don
stinson
Levergunner

Post by stinson »

Geez, hard to imagine a bull being able to do that.........
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

stinson wrote:Geez, hard to imagine a bull being able to do that.........
:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Model 8 and if you can get the serial I can give you the details as I bought the book.