Remington 870

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Remington 870

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Well I came across a buy at a pawn shop today that I didnt walk away from! I purchased a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 ga 28" barrel with REM CHOKES for $107 out the door. I will post a pic when I get the chance. The wood is solid and the action is slick; although, the cosmetics are a bit rough, it is freckled with rust although there is NO PITTING! My only frustration at this point is deciding if I want to play with it myself and clean it up (I am no gunsmith) or if I want to send it off to Wilsons for a Remington Steal Rebuild. I did call and get a quote the basic starts at $230 and if I add the ghost ring site and front post it goes to $350.

I am curious if anyone out there has redone their own or had the Remington Steal package done by Wilsons or another outfit?

Last edited by horsesoldier03 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: Remington 870

Post by nemhed »

Every 870 Express I've seen (including mine) has a dull Parkerized type finish that seems rather thin and easily rusts unless liberally dosed with oil. That being said that finish readily accepts paint or duracoat type finishes and I wouldn't hesitate to do that myself ( and I didn't). I certainly wouldn't pay somebody to do that type of work for me. I didn't have my all black 870 home for one day before I camoed it and both barrels. That was also before I had even shot it. I really like Krylon's Fusion camo paints. They're durable and cheap, and touch up is only a rattle can away. I've now used those paints on two of my guns. Of course this is all just my opinion your results may vary. :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just shoot it. A buddy hunts with and express he has worn to a silver color carrying in the field.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

NEMHED, that is definately what I am looking for, OPINIONS! there are 2 ways to look at it here...

1. I have a cheap functional gun that I can tinker with or

2. I have a good buy on a solid platform to send off and have a NICE professional build.

At this time I only have the 1 barrel, It would be nice to have a short barrel as well. The reason the barrel is so bright is because I have started using steel wool and rust remover trying to clean it up a bit. I will confess, I do like the idea of doing it myself, however, having never done this before I am a bit reserved from fear I could mess it up.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Depends upon what you are gonna do with it....I would look at some really fine 0000 bronze or steel wool for cleaning both the stock and the metal. If that is grease or thick oil on the wood then a blow dryer will help loosen it up some....use a good wood cleaner and just take your time. The metal will take some elbow grease and a little sewing machine oil along with the wool....if I was gonna hunt with it that is what I would use....if it is gonna be a HD shotgun....just take a hacksaw and cut her off then file the edges and wipe her down with gun oil....great price....

jumbeaux
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Somebody help me out here. I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster. What's the difference in a 870 Wingmaster and a 870 Express?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would shorten it up and have the Rem choke threads redone then I'd get a rifled slug barrel. I wouldn't bother to have it done. The 870 is a great USING shotgun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'd leave it as-is. Just use some fine steel wool and oil and clean up the metal and use it like that. Hey, you won't feel like you have to baby it! It looks cool to me. I really like old firearms.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

And then you could leave it as is. It does have a certain character about it the way it is. Just don't do anything you can't undo and you'll be OK. It still an 870. The best pump around IMHO.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I have one myself, an old Special Purpose with the 21" RemChoke barrel. It is an excellent shotgun and perhaps the most versatile one I've ever owned.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009 ... html#links

Be advised that most Express models have a set of dimples pressed into the end of the magazine. These facilitate the use of a cheap plastic mag spring cap. If you wish to install a magazine tube extension on one of the dimpled 870's, you'll have remove the dimples. This is accomplished by drilling, grinding or 'ironing' them out. Personally, I iron them out and follow with a motor tool to smooth out the tube's interior.

Just did two department shotguns this week, in fact.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Aside from the "use it as it is" advice...

wouldn't the total of all that work be more than a new one costs?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

do like Hobie said. that's the way mine are set up and they work great for me. at the price you got it for, you are WAY ahead 8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Chas. - the finish is the difference. The Express had a rough dull finish. I have both but I use the 20 express more than the Wingmaster. I hunted with mine in the rain all day and just wiped it off with no rusting. I had coated it with RIG at some time and wiped it off as I do with all the guns.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

horsesoldier03 wrote:...I will confess, I do like the idea of doing it myself, however, having never done this before I am a bit reserved from fear I could mess it up.
There'll never be a better guinea pig.

I fell into a Marlin 30AW that I didn't have any use for and ended up trading it for an 'ugly' 870 Magnum, doesn't say "Express" but that's what it looks like. I figure it must pre-date that designation, but it's the 'cheap' model. The choke tube that it came with has some guy's name on it, supposed to be pretty nice. I'll probably sell the choke and cut down the vent-rib and add a 3-shot extension...
stuff I would never attempt on a "nice" gun.

It does have the ball detent in the barrel extrusion for use with 'proper' mag tube caps, not the dimples in the tube like the Express.

My first 870 Express cost me $105 at an auction in front of the courthouse, and I've never found a better deal.
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

I have done the Remington Steal on 2 870's: one I kept and one I gave to my neighbor's son as a police academy graduation present. He got the Trac Lok sights and modified choke added. The one I kept went to my son. You won't be disappointed if you go that route. Wilson Combat is great to deal with.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IMO, pumps don't need to look good.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I think it looks great just the way it is, with a little cleaning.
Old Law Dawg
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Chas. wrote:Somebody help me out here. I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster. What's the difference in a 870 Wingmaster and a 870 Express?
Stock quality, fit, finish, and checkering... I *think* the express may also has a plastic trigger guard.
Some people say the express is junk, I wouldn't. The 870 is the best design pump out there.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I'd leave it as-is. Just use some fine steel wool and oil and clean up the metal and use it like that. Hey, you won't feel like you have to baby it! It looks cool to me. I really like old firearms.
+1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I agree - this thing has earned it's look.

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Well it seems pretty unanomous on leaving it alone. I think I will for now! If it was an old Wingmaster with bluing and better wood, there would be no doubt. I dont feel too bad for altering a Parkerized gun. I did take it out and shoot a box of #6 low brass through it and it does pattern pretty good, although it shoots a little high at 25 yrds but at least it is centered over your aiming point. I am not sure what choke constriction it is, the choke is stuck and I have done lots to try to unseize it. (i.e. penitrating oil, kerosene, freezing, heating) I can tell you its not full, I took a dime out and it had quite a bit of clearance. I will get my calipers out tomorrow and get the measurement.

I have decided that whatever I end up doing money spent will be a minimum. For now I will leave as is, but I would really like to find another barrel. As Hobbie suggested, I do like the idea of a 22" barrel that has remchoke or a poly choke on it. I am toying with the idea of the krylon as NEMHED suggested as well. OD Green receiver and barrel with black wood and ventilated rib. If anyone has an old 870 express barrel (any length with remchoke or a modified choke) I would be interested if you thinking of selling it. I do like the idea of a combo barrel.
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

A good friend duracoated many of his old shooters, looks great and was easy. I am going to do an 1187 that has same issues, and maybe an old rem 721 that I am rebarreling to 25-06, will be a hunter to get dirty
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Finally --- someone gets a decent deal at a pawnshop !
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

What a awesome deal/Great Gun.
Just leave it be and shoot and enjoy it.
Later,If you want it shorter keep your eye out on a shorty slug barrel(gun for about everything)
That 28" barrel is a great barrel/also if need be shoot shot/or slugs out of the shorty too.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Don't do anything with that barrel -- shorten it etc.

Go to Cabela's shotgun barrel section and order:

1. 870 3" Chambered 20" Rem Choked barrel with iron sights. Comes with Mod and IC choke tubes. Of course this barrel is smooth bored.

2. 870 3" Chambered 20" Fully Rifled barredl with iron sight.

You can get em both for what Wilson's wants to charge you for their work and you'll end up with one great all-around shotgun.

I've got three 870s and all are set up this way. I'm good to go with the OEM 28" barrel for pass shooting (pheasant, quail, rabbits, etc.) and for the other two barrels, everything else.
ED
Yer never too old
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Modoc ED wrote:Don't do anything with that barrel -- shorten it etc.

1. 870 3" Chambered 20" Rem Choked barrel with iron sights. Comes with Mod and IC choke tubes. Of course this barrel is smooth bored.

You can get em both for what Wilson's wants to charge you for their work and you'll end up with one great all-around shotgun.

I've got three 870s and all are set up this way. I'm good to go with the OEM 28" barrel for pass shooting (pheasant, quail, rabbits, etc.) and for the other two barrels, everything else.

I'm with the guys that say leave it and shoot it or do it yourself. Maybe it's just me but I can't see what the point would be to send ANY good ol' 870 off for an expensive rework. What do you gain? They're already reliable with tons of do'it'yourself parts and finishes. Now keep in mind my tactical imagination only goes as far the slug barrel on a stock 870, all I think I will ever need. So if tactical is what you are wanting take my opinion for what you paid for it :) .

Do leave the barrel stock length and buy a second, shorter Rem Choke barrel. Only buy a slug barrel if you need it and then I avoid rifled slug barrels like the plague. I'll only shoot smoothbores, something about sighting in with ammo that cost $2.50 a shot that I hate :evil: . Foster's work good to 100 yards, good enough for me anyway.

LK
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

If ya don't want to get a fully rifled barrel you can always use a rifled choke tube. They work pretty good.
ED
Yer never too old
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Modoc ED wrote:Don't do anything with that barrel -- shorten it etc.

SPOT ON!
Can you imagine that 870 also with the extra 20" rifled barrel shooting those babies below??
What wouldn't that take care of. How about the first 3 rounds those slugs the next 2 rounds those 315gr (3)ball jobs :o
http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

My smoothbore 21" Remchoke barrel does a passable job with slugs, provided you use the IC tube. Five shots of 2 3/4" Super X slugs at 50 yards 'stacking the beads'. Would have had 'em all in about 3 1/2", had I not tossed one.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.