OT: Any Masons here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

OT: Any Masons here?

Post by MikeS. »

I was recently initiated into the fraternity and so am wondering if there are any other Brothers here?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

DON'T KNOW ABOUT MASONS BUT I HAVE A BALL WATCH.....rimshot,
BA BA BA BOOM !!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Brother Mike: I entered on 9/27/1989; passed on 11/291989; raised on 1/31/1990. Glad you have seen the light....
bfm
Levergunner

Post by bfm »

friendship lodge, massachusetts lucky 13th district

Brendan
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Hello Brothers and comedians :D

I knew there had to be a few Brothers here. I met several last night at my gun club, including the husband of 1 of the women I work with. Guns and Free Masonry, what an American combination.

Paul Revere, Ben Franklin and George Washington to name just 3 Masons in the Revolution.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Got my letter of acceptance last week.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Mike, you've tossed out the bait, so I'll bite.

Why would someone wish to be a Mason?

My grandfather was a mason, but he never spoke to me about it.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I wanted to improve myself and give something back to my community. There ia lot to learn in Masonry and through it the outside world. One of the tenets of Masonry is "Making good men better"

Is he still alive? If so ask him about it. It's not a secret but there are some secrets in Masonry.

If you or anyone else is interested, just ask a Mason.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Tycer wrote:Got my letter of acceptance last week.
Good deal, when do you get initiated? Have you been interviewed already?

WV or at least my district doesn't send out a letter. I got a call from the W.M., Worshipful Master, asking when the committee could come by for a visit.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Initiation is tomorrow.
Kind regards,
Tycer
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Mike,

Do you have to be sponsored? What is the process if one would be interested in becoming a Mason?

Thanks,
Steve
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

homefront wrote:Mike, you've tossed out the bait, so I'll bite.

Why would someone wish to be a Mason?

My grandfather was a mason, but he never spoke to me about it.
The Masons try very hard to weed out the folks that are not of the highest integrity. All of the Masons I've known are outstanding human beings.

I joined because I want to be part of an international association of good guys. Most anywhere you travel, you can find help or friendship in the local Masons.
Kind regards,
Tycer
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

If it is such a good organization, why all the secrecy? I think history would prove nothing good comes from secret groups. There is a mason building in the next town over. Its very elegant on the outside but what bothers me most is the upside down star within a circle built into the stonework. There are also no windows in this 2 story building. Really makes on wonder what goes on inside that they have to keep so secret about. You guys that belong wanna explain? I am not looking to pick a fight, just wondering. The teachings seem backwards. If you wanted to do good and attract other good people, why be secret about it?
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Mike and Tycer, I'm not the Master, but don't believe he will mind if I extend a Welcome from Tehama Lodge #3, Sacramento, Grand Lodge of Ca. Let me know if you ever travel here and we'll be happy to show you around or just say hello.

It might be interesting to attend other initiations, at your Lodge or others, when the opportunity comes up. Dittos for being Passed and Raised; it's a different view of the ceremony. I usually see something that I had not seen for a while, or had forgotten about.

I am amazed at how much good has been done by members of this fraternity over all the centuries, and at how many Brothers are out there, and here at Leverguns.

Welcome again.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

45-70- wrote:If it is such a good organization, why all the secrecy?
Some folks can explain things better than myself, and not to take away from the thread...

For what it's worth, our temple building was completed in 1918, in plain sight right downtown on J Street. Two big signs out front and one is lit. We are in the phone book, and have plenty of windows in our 5 or so stories. And yes, we have secrets, like everyone else (no, I will not share my family budget with you, and neither will Exxon) but we are not a secret group by any means. We even post our names and pictures in open mailings and the internet, openly participate in parades, and so on.

There are misunderstandings about us. I'd suggest a tour of our Shriner's Hospital (newest in North America last I heard) and the Scottish Rite's Children's Language Disorder Clinic. There are other quite a few other charities that we sponsor as well, and we support & promote public education for everyone (not just the privileged).

Also, I think every oppressive Government out there (right wing, left wing, and others) has suppressed us - some including prison and execution. Well, if they dislike us that much, maybe there is something good about us... Lots of good people, all over the world, are proud to wear the Mason's apron...
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Hello Brother and congrats! (You too Tycer!)
I hope for the best for both of you and your lodges.

Boone Lodge #314
Last edited by mklwhite on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Yes, brother. Raised in 1987.
Lenoir Lodge #233
LaGrange, NC

Not active anymore though, due to other obligations (children).
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

45-70- wrote:If it is such a good organization, why all the secrecy?
The majority of the "secrecy" is in nostalgic keeping with the secrecy that the master masons who built King Solomon's temple way back when had to undergo in order to keep imposter (deadbeat and uneducated) masons from being hired and performing their sub-standard work on the temple.

There's actually a whole lot of things a Mason can tell you that they don't even know that they are allowed to tell. The really secret things are certain things that would allow a non-Mason entrance into a lodge meeting.
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

If you wish to judge an organization then look at the people that belong to said org. Judge a org. by its works. The Masonic lodges support "Angel Flight" and "The Shriners hospital". They do this without charging the parents of the sick or injured child anything. The Masons of the world work without need for agrandisement (sp) to alleviate many wrongs and to support those that have no one to help them. We don't toot our own horn. We keep our secrets secret.

A little fact. Almost all of the founding fathers of this great nation are to be counted among the Masonic roles.

I hope this answers your question. And starts you on the road to the light. So Mote it be.

Bro. James F. Sanders
South Seminole #372
ImageImageImage
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't know much about Masons but I do know a few I don't care for. Just like people at our Roman Catholic Church. They drive up to the front of the church in their 40K Caddy and park where everyone has to walk around their car. I 100% know some who declare they don't drink and then are seen 30 miles away in a bar in Philly with some other woman. I firmly believe you are who you are and no religion or brotherhood makes you a saint. Jesse Ventura has a good point.

I get a kick out this brotherhood thing, and I'm not singling out the masons. ---all brotherhoods. I'd really like to know how many "brothers" would gladly open up their homes and wallets to a fellow brother they hardly knew ---------for any more than a few days.
Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I am a Mason. James H. Lockwood Lodge #1343 Free and Accepted Masons.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

45-70

Do a Google search for Freemason. There is a ton of info out there. Some of the history is pretty interesting. The Wikipedia one is good. There's a ton of printed material also.

One possibility: The masons of the Middle Ages were the highest paid and trained of the trades. They built the cathedrals. Lot of folks would have loved to have the job, but not so many were truly qualified. When traveling from town to town some words, symbols, and a handshake were used to weed out imposters. Modern Freemasonry still carries on those traditions. May go back even further in time than the Middle Ages.

Most boardrooms and organizations throughout the world keep the doors shut when discussing the details of running the business. Not so much a secret.

There are lodges in just about any town. Go knock on the door. Ask them anything. Nice folks. If you are an upstanding fella and believe in God you are welcome to join. Or not. Heck, they let me in. :shock:
Kind regards,
Tycer
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Welcome to a fine brother-hood

Doric-44 since 1970
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

There is some evidence that masonry may have had its origins with the Knights Templar. *If* this is the case, the secrecy may be, in part, related to the fact that the Templars were hunted down, executed, and their lands taken by King Philip IV of France and Pope Clement V. Some of them escaped to Scotland, where some theorize they eventually formed modern masonry. Others escaped to Switzerland, where some theorize they developed what is now known as the Swiss banking system. Regardless, an organization borne of persecution would certainly have secrets necessary for survival during its dark days. It would make sense to continue those traditions.

Interesting theories, but impossible to prove.

I've known some mighty fine Masons, two of whom I consider truly brothers. I've also known a few that were not men with whom I would care to associate. Every group has its good and bad, because they are made up of imperfect people.
.........THE TWINS..........

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

My grandfather and several other family members are masons, but I've never had the desire to be a member of a "secret" organization. I've know masons that were super individuals, but I've also known masons that were drunks, abused their wives, crooks, etc. There's good and bad just like any other group. There's books and interest articles out there that tell many of the "secrets" if you take the time to look around.
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

I think JB and I kinda feel the same.

Tycer, I have done lots of research on masons and shriners and want no part of either. If you guys are in good clubs and enjoy yourself, more power to you. I wish you all the best.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

http://www.freemasonrywatch.org/secrets.html

Satanism, pure and simple.

One need look no further than Christ for salvation and brotherhood.

I once thought of joining, but then did a bit of digging and the deeper I dug, the scarier it got.

Powerful world leaders, spooky people like Allistiar Crowley and even the very motivations of the founding fathers hidden behind some secret veil of demon worship. Truly scary.

JMO.
I have Christ and need nobody else for "secrets" or "power".
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Tycer wrote:Initiation is tomorrow.
Tycer, that's great. You'll probably be nervous but don't sweat a thing no harm will come to you. Every Mason through history has gone through the same thing. Try to relax and remember the ceremony.

After the initiation the WM will set you up with a coach/teacher to teach you the catechism of the 1st degree. Here in WV it is all done mouth to ear. None of it is written down in any form. I've read on the 'net that some jurisdictions have it written.

After tomorrow I'll have to call you Brother :D
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

If anyone was interested in the "secrets", here they are:
http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/captmor ... ntents.htm

Be prepared for a lot of reading.

One must put aside their own faith the get on board with these antics, and then they re-introduce the bible.
At first, I thought, "Oh wow, they are also into Christianity." then I started exploring the higher degrees, and the goat symbolism and the worship of Baphomet.

-Yikes!
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

SteveR wrote:Mike,

Do you have to be sponsored? What is the process if one would be interested in becoming a Mason?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve, all it takes is to ask a Mason. If you don't know any you can contact a local Lodge. Or the Grand Lodge of your state. If you have trouble contacting them, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.

Once you ask you'll be given a petition to fill out. Mine was 1 side of 1 page. Simple ?s like where was I born. Had I lived here for 1 year or more. Any felonies? I always go by Mike so that is how I filled out the petition. It got returned for my full name. I also had to pay a $50 fee. When I go for the 2nd It'll be another 50. Same for the 3rd. Each jurisdiction can vary.

Let me know if I can help.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Poohgyrr wrote:Mike and Tycer, I'm not the Master, but don't believe he will mind if I extend a Welcome from Tehama Lodge #3, Sacramento, Grand Lodge of Ca. Let me know if you ever travel here and we'll be happy to show you around or just say hello.

It might be interesting to attend other initiations, at your Lodge or others, when the opportunity comes up. Dittos for being Passed and Raised; it's a different view of the ceremony. I usually see something that I had not seen for a while, or had forgotten about.
Thanks Brother, at some point I'll probably take you up on that offer. I spent my 1st 41 years in Fresno so Calif is still a part of my life. If you ever get out towards DC I'll return the offer.

I'm scheduled to go to 2 1st this next week and then a return of the 1st the week after.

Thanks!
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Scott64A,

all I can say is that Free Masonry doesn't purport to be a Christian organization. All it requires is that you profess a belief in a higher power.

Most, or a majority, of U.S. masons are Christians. All U.S. Lodges open with the Kings James bible open on the altar of the Lodge. But they are free to have another religious text, like the Talmud, open as well.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My father was a Mason. I've thought of joining at times but I've always been too busy. Things have slowed down a bit since my son graduated from high school. I've been told that there has never been a Mason convicted of murder in this country.
I've also hear that there are some lodges that are Muslim.

I used to talk to a fellow worker about the lodge. He told me that some people say they are a secret order. That not exactly true. They are an order that has secrets.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I am sure there are many mason's that are good honest men that do good work for charities etc.
That said, I knew a guy at my gun club, who was high up in his masonic lodge, I welcomed him into my home, only to find out he had an affair with my wife and then became a stalker.
Now loosing a wife is bad enough but masons were also responsible for us loosing our handguns. The madman that murdered the children and teacher in Dunblane was a mason and in the same lodge as the police chief that allowed him to have firearms, against the wishes of a police sergeant that new him to be a law breaker and of suspect character.
That led directly to the handgun ban in the UK.

Good luck to all you good masons but please don't turn this forum into a masonic meeting place. I still have a bad taste in my mouth.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Gamekeeper, I'm very sorry to hear that you were so poorly treated by anyone, much more so that it was a Mason. We/they are human and as prone to fault as are all humans.

I have no intent to turn this into a Masonic gun forum.

MikeS.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Scott64A wrote:If anyone was interested in the "secrets", here they are:

One must put aside their own faith the get on board with these antics, and then they re-introduce the bible.
At first, I thought, "Oh wow, they are also into Christianity." then I started exploring the higher degrees, and the goat symbolism and the worship of Baphomet.

-Yikes!
Bullshit.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Thanks Mike, I have drove past the local lodge a few times, but didn't want to stop and in without knowing a little about joining first.

ScottT,

Succinctly put. :)

Steve
Last edited by SteveR on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

SteveR wrote:Thanks Mike, I have drove past the local lodge a few times, but didn't want to stop and in without knowing a little about joining first.
Scott,
Succinctly put. :)
Steve
Steve, my Lodge doesn't keep office hours. Don't know about the Lodge by you. Good Luck my friend.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

ScottT wrote:
Scott64A wrote:If anyone was interested in the "secrets", here they are:

-Yikes!
Bullshit.
Really? Dang! I joined to take over the world and all I got was this lousy T-shirt! :roll:
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Just out of curiousity, are all the Masons here Free & Accepted, or are there Scottish Rite Masons here, too. I think a lot of the "take over the world/devil worship" accusations people level are about things they believe about Scottish Rite Masonry, but that they misattribute to F&A Masons.

I'm not lending any credence to these allegations. Nor am I taking sides with the Masons. I'm just trying to clarify things for all concerned.

crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

Those who would condemn with out knowledge are the same who would cast the first stone.

I don't know Scott64A but I would give him benefit of doubt that he so angrily denies others.

I am a GOD fearing man and I will stand and be counted at the time. I personally know that there is NO worship of the devil or a conspiracy to rule the world in the lodge.

My Father was at one time involved at the national level and HE would not be part of anything untoward GOD or his teachings.

A wise man once said, " Keep your mouth shut and let them think you a fool, or speak and remove all doubt".

Lastly, We here are all part of the levergun brotherhood. A loose knit organization to be sure. But the recent outpouring of love toward fellow members shows we can count on each other.
ImageImageImage
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Thanks Scott64a. Good reading, helped a lot.

All went well. Nice guys.
Kind regards,
Tycer
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Tycer wrote:Thanks Scott64a. Good reading, helped a lot.

All went well. Nice guys.
Good deal, welcome Brother. Now get studying you have a lot to learn. I just found out tonight I have to learn the Obligation too. Didn't know that, it is a lot more to memorize. I still stumble right after worth and well qualified.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
ByronG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ByronG »

Church opposition to Masonry rock solid: Vatican official

A high ranking Vatican official has restated Church teaching on Masonic associations, saying that Catholics who enrol in such associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive communion.

Apostolic Penitentiary regent, Bishop Gianfranco Girotti made the statement on Thursday at a conference on the topic of Freemasonry held at the St Bonaventure Pontifical Theological Faculty, Zenit reports.

The bishop presided over the congress held in cooperation with the Socio-Religious Research and Information Group of Italy. Officials of Masonic associations and grand masters also took part in the meeting.

Bishop Girotti reminded his listeners that the Church has always criticised the concepts and philosophy of Freemasonry, considering them incompatible with the Catholic faith.

He mentioned the last official reference document, "Declaration on Masonic Associations," which was signed by the then prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, on 26 November 1983.

The text states that since the principles of Masonic associations "have always been considered irreconcilable with the doctrine of the Church," membership in them, therefore, "remains forbidden."

"The faithful who enrol in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive holy Communion," adds the declaration signed by Cardinal Ratzinger, who is now Benedict XVI.

Fr Zbigniew Suchecki, an expert in the subject, quoted number 1374 of the Code of Canon Law, which reads: "Whoever is inscribed in an association that plots against the Church must be punished with a just penalty; whoever promotes or directs that association, must be banned."

"Masonry's attempts to express divine truths are based on relativism and do not agree with the principles of the Christian faith," Fr Suchecki said.

Bishop Girotti made reference to the statements of some priests who have declared publicly their membership in Masonry and called for the intervention of "their direct superiors," not excluding the possibility that "measures of a canonical character might come from the Holy See."
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

ByronG

Understand this is my opinion. No one else's.
The reason why the Catholic church doesn't like Masons is the same as the reason that dictatorships don't like Masons.

The catholic church rose in power the same way that many dictators have. On knowing the secrets of others. While some organizations are not secret organizations in the free world they may have to be in oppressive ones. Where membership can mean hard times for yourself and family and even death. Such goups know and understand the value of keeping your word and keeping your mouths shut. That is contrary to what all oppressive regimes desire and require. They expect loyalty to the appropriate individual (dictator) first and others second.

Just my opinion. That and a keen understanding of both church (catholic) and secular history.

No offense meant to any Catholics here on the board or elsewhere.
Also not meant (necessarily) as a defence of Masonry, but as a point of view as to why such organiztions may be viewed with distrust by some people in power.
Last edited by mklwhite on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

No offense taken. I am a Catholic and I am a Mason.

That was an unfortunate chapter in Catholocism. Not that big a deal.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

ScottT or any other catholics,not to hijack this thread, but do your priests seem to throw any political agenda into their homilies?The reason I ask this is I am not a catholic but my wife and two kids are .I go to church with them .Latley it seems like we can't get through a mass without a remark about immigration.One priest even made a remark about "NATIVISTS" in relation to loving thy neighbor.The other one made a remark about Mary and Joseph not having trouble getting across the border to Egypt in his Christmas eve mass.It kinda irks me that now I go to church and I don't get anything out of it except to be upset when I come out .I just need some honest opinions .
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I have been in many churches where the priest or minister has a political message in their sermon. This is certainly not restricted to Catholics. Some of the biggest Baptist churches around here are highly political.

I currently attend a Methodist church (my wife is not a Catholic) and I see the same thing there.

It probably depends more on the priest or minister's personal bent on this thing than anything.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

I did't mean to imply that it was only catholics .It's just that I go to a catholic church.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Rebel1972 wrote:I did't mean to imply that it was only catholics .It's just that I go to a catholic church.
Like ScottT said, you can find that in any church, any denomination. Ministers, like everyone else, are human and prone to human weakness. I'm very careful to try to not let POLICITAL opinions color my preaching. Unfortunately, there are some MORAL issues that have become politicized, so preaching about them can give the impression of politicking from the pulpit.

IMHO, immigration is NOT one of those moral issues and shouldn't be addressed from the pulpit. I'm for strong immigration control, but I'm also for not demonizing or taking advantage of illegals. They are God's children too and should be loved as such. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't build a fence, penalize employers who hire them, or reform our immigration policy to let an appropriate number come here legally.

I'm sorry you are having a bad time with your church, but the benefit of going to church as a family outweighs the annoyance/discomfort you are experiencing in my opinion. If it becomes too big a problem, maybe you could discuss finding a different church with your wife. Just, please, don't give up on church because of one priest with problems! :D