Ideal short rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Ideal short rifle?

Post by Old Savage »

I am inclined to think ( if it shoots well ) that it is the Marlin Cowboy 357 20" barrel.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

What separates a short rifle from a carbine?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Thats a good possibility, however, my 1894 .44 mag would give it a good run for the money. I slicked up the action by working the bolt and lever over real good with some 000 and then 0000 steel wool. It shoots to POA at 100 yrds.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Claybob, good question. The octagon barrel seems to give it rifle like balance. I have an 1894C which feels quite different but I will go with either.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...In general terms, the rifle and the carbine had some different features.
...The rifle usually, but not always, had a cresent butt plate, a cap on the forearm, and the magazine was attached to the barrel with a screw. Often the rifles had octagonal barrels, and usually came in 24" or 26" lengths. Some had longer barrels.
...The carbines usually, but not always, had an S shaped butt plate that was called a carbine butt plate. The forearm had a barrel band, and there was another barrel band near the muzzle. Their barrels were round, and 22" or shorter in length.
...Special order features will sometimes be found that negates some of the above, or at least blurs the line between rifle and carbine.
...In the case of the Marlin Cowboy, they have the rifle type features of, buttstock, forearm cap, and rifle type attachment of the magazine. They also have octagon barrels. Because of the 20" carbine length barrels, they are called "short " rifles.

...old goat
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Thanks. :D
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Have you kissed your carbine today?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

Old gost

thanks .I put that on my hard drive for future ref.
apurgon
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

LOVE the short rifles or long rifles!!! :D
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

This EMF I picked up a few weeks ago changed my mind about short barrels.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage said:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:22 am Post subject: Ideal short rifle?
I am inclined to think ( if it shoots well ) that it is the Marlin Cowboy 357 20" barrel.
Old Savage,
I agree with you. I believe this platform is indeed the ideal short rifle. But I think it's the rifle's configuration rather than the specific caliber it's chambered for.

In a thread on the old forum we discussed what kind of sights my 1894 Cowboy would have had if it had been made in 1894. I believe the consensus is that the configuration of the the 1894 Cowboys would have been considered a short rifle rather than a carbine.

I do know that with the octagon barrel, and the bigger .45 Cal bore this 20" barreled short rifle balances beautifully both empty and fully loaded.

Joe

[/quote]
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

sobenk wrote:Have you kissed your carbine today?
Not yet. That is only appropriate if one's carbine just saved one from a charging bear or something. :mrgreen:
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...A gentleman does NOT kiss and tell. :wink:

...old goat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My vote goes for the 1895GS....not a lightweight in any sense.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

If it counts.. My favorite is my Marlin LTDIII, 45-70. Short and light and makes a big hole :D

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mark Taylor
Levergunner

Short Rifle

Post by Mark Taylor »

Well,
Since I only have one in this category, I vote for the Browning 92.
Mark in WBGV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I don't think my 16" Win 1894 Ranger Compact gives up anything in the accuracy department, and it is definately handier than my guide gun, and much handier than the 1892 .45 Colt with the 20" barrel.

I don't think pistol cartridges gain a lot with barrels that are a lot longer than 16".

Grizz
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I've been looking fondly at the Taylors 1892 short rifles, in the 45 LC takedown version. That seems like it may be a pretty good short rifle once Nate K J got done with it. I don't know if anyone here has one. Of course it would be infinitely better if it were born in the USA. http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products ... ection.tpl

Of the few short rifles I have, I really like the feel of my Marlin 336 SC 35 Rem. If the forend were slimmed down a bit it would be even better. So from actual hands-on expereince, that one gets my vote.
Chad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Marlin versions in 357.

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I'm with you OS, the Marlin 1894CB in .357 is just a perfect combination for a short rifle.
Bigger game go with the 1895.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

J Miller wrote: I do know that with the octagon barrel, and the bigger .45 Cal bore this 20" barreled short rifle balances beautifully both empty and fully loaded.
Have to agree with that. Had mine out on the weekend - comes up to the shoulder and hangs there perfectly. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Killer Kanuck wrote:
J Miller wrote: I do know that with the octagon barrel, and the bigger .45 Cal bore this 20" barreled short rifle balances beautifully both empty and fully loaded.
Have to agree with that. Had mine out on the weekend - comes up to the shoulder and hangs there perfectly. :D
+2.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I've long been enamored with the idea of convertin a beater 30 WCF into a 38-55 Trapper with a ghost ring sight and a slightly shortened stock and thick shotgun reoil pad.

In addition I would have a butt cuff with 4 rounds and a SIDE mounted sling so the rifle would rest flat against the back.

Someday soon.....the last 3 "beater" 30 WCF I've bought shot clover leaffs with factory ammo.

darn my bad luck!!!

:roll:

Wm
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

:D :P 8) - Salvo:

meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Regardless of what category they fit in, these two Win 94 Trappers in 357mag are as close to perfect as I can imagine. My 44mags aren't too far behind though.

Liked the first one so much, just had to get a second.

Real fun, real accuate, and real cheap to shoot.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would count them. I was using the more general reference when I posed the question. Appreciate Old Goats clarification.

Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I think the ideal one is whichever I happen to have at the time. :wink:

Here is one favorite .44 EMF shorty rifle

John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

As much as I would dearly love to have (and will some day) a 92 like Joe pictured or the comparable Marlin ... picture ...

a 16 1/2 inch octagon barreled, .38-40 chambered, '73 !!!!!!!!!!! :D
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Well, I am not sure, the problem is "what is a short rifle?" I have the "perfect" Carbine: My 375 Winchester M94BB. As a practical course with modern levers, I don't see the difference between a short rifle and a carbine. I could be wrong (It has been known to happen rarely from time to time). I also have a .357 Trapper and love it too, for different reasons and uses than my M94BB.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

This is my favorite short rifle that I own, but then again, I don't own a 92.[iImagemg][/img][imImageg][/img]
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

While I hate to be the one to ruffle feathers here, my "short action" BLR in 358 Win can still shoot 357 bullets at reduced velocities, as well as shoot the "full zoot" 358 Win loads. It also balences extremely well, as Old Savage can attest to. I have a Puma 454 levergun with the 20" barrel, and as light as it is, the BLR does better. Sorry guys, but I think the BLR will spank your little Marlin's in this category. :lol:

-Tutt
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

It'd have to be a Marlin 1894 in either .357 or .44 magnum.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Morgan
Levergunner

Post by Morgan »

salvo wrote:I'm with you OS, the Marlin 1894CB in .357 is just a perfect combination for a short rifle.
Bigger game go with the 1895.
Leve my Marlin 94 .357CB and my Rossi 16" 92 .357, the Rossi is handier, Can"t make a choice, guess I'll have to get a 44.

........Ken M
Honesty, courage and integrity are the foundation of Life-Do it, Risk it!
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Nothing beats a Winchester 94, 30-30 Trapper. All the gun you will ever need. :) Mike
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I have several lever carbines in several calibers, and I love 'em all. I also have a Ruger RSI in .308 that is the EXACT length on a Winchester 94 carbine. That little Ruger is darned near perfect.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

CowboyTutt wrote:While I hate to be the one to ruffle feathers here, my "short action" BLR in 358 Win can still shoot 357 bullets at reduced velocities, as well as shoot the "full zoot" 358 Win loads. It also balences extremely well, as Old Savage can attest to. I have a Puma 454 levergun with the 20" barrel, and as light as it is, the BLR does better. Sorry guys, but I think the BLR will spank your little Marlin's in this category. :lol:

-Tutt
You're not ruffling my feathers, I have been a Browning BLR Fan for many years, and a 358 Win fan, too. Maybe since it has a 20 inch barrel, I suppose you could call it a short rifle, but I think it qualifies more in line with a carbine, and a darned good one at that, maybe the best all around Carbine ever made.