OT - Got me a .17 cal rifle and it is NOISY!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - Got me a .17 cal rifle and it is NOISY!

Post by AJMD429 »

I decided that I wanted a .17 cal rifle that wasn't a rimfire, so I got one of these:

It's WAY louder than some .45 Colt loads out of my 16" Puma, although it doesn't exactly sound 'gun-like'. I was really surprised. I have a much older target model from the 1980's that I think is way quieter I'll have to compare (but it may have had far less velocity).

I haven't shot it for accuracy yet, but just wanted something I could SHOOT and not feel like I was throwing money downrange due to the cost of ammo. (Even .22 Hornet sells for over $1.00 a round locally, although I plan to reload exclusively for it, like pretty much everything else, these days.)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Got me a .17 cal rifle and it is NOISY!

Post by KWK »

Yes, air rifles can be quite noisy. I think it has to do with the amount of air. A .22 LR moves fairly little gas, but it starts at rather higher pressure. The air rifle uses more air at a lower pressure. I wouldn't be surprised if the muzzle pressure is higher in the air rifle.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Make sure no oil is getting into the air chamber as the gun will diesel and sound as loud as a .22 or .22 mag.This is not good for the gun unless it is purpose built for dieseling.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Supersonic crack :D
Is that with the super lightweight ammo? you might try some heavier pellets to get it subsonic, quiet it down, and get better accuracy.

IF you decide you want more power, get one of these bad boys ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-hJYrR_ ... re=related

There are also custom ones made with 500-600+ foot lbs of muzzle energy if you want to get really scary.
Last edited by oic0 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

DocAJ,

Don't know what that one costs ya,but my .177 RWS 36 is very very quiet.Shoots 1000fps/1250fps with PBA stuff.Very accurate especially with the RWS Match pellets.
The best killing bullet for it I have found are the Prometheus stuff.
Goes through usually 5 water filled beer cans side by side at about 15feet with the Prometheus.

Ok, must be Bud cans are thicker than the Coor's Light cans. :)
I just tried 6 water filled Bud cans,got through 4 and stopped halfway in 5th at about 12ft.
Anway not bad.

Think in a minute I will try the wife's LANDShark beer bottles with THE beer in em! :mrgreen: :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There's an article in the "Fur Fish and Game" I just got about some state ( I think it was Missouri) announcing the first deer taken with an air rifle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I had a Beeman and got rid of it because it was so noisy.I shoot cb longs out of my pump
22 Rossi and have 17 rounds I can pump through with half the sound.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The noise is the same with 5.4 grain 'alloy' pellets as it is with 7.6 lead ones. I think it is just the spring/piston noise - sounds kind of like what your right ear gets when you shoot an AR-15. . . 'thunk-sproinnggg'. :?

I didn't really get it for a 'quiet' shooter anyway, but it was sort of a surprise. My other gun is a spring-piston gun, but has an under-lever cocking mechanism and stationary barrel, plus a big ol' heavy wooden stock to house it all. That could make a difference.

Range report when the weather improves. And roof fixed. And tractor. And so on...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

They will be noisy the first 25-50 shots until you get all the assembly lube and oils shot out them. After 50 shots they start to settle in/ break in andyou should also see velocity go up some and the gun wont vibrate as much and feel smoother when fired. Put a 3-9X scope on it and shoot grasshoppers at 30-40 yards. Makes squirrels and deer seem to big to miss :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

If you plan on scoping that air gun make sure you get an airgun rated scope. That rifle would probably break any firearm scope with it's recoil characteristics.