OT: Does anyone have a 1911 style that never malfunctions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Does anyone have a 1911 style that never malfunctions?

Post by 86er »

I'm curious if anyone has a 1911 style handgun that is virtually trouble free - without any custom work. What kind of ammo or varieties of ammo work to perfection? Is there any real advantage to the external extractor like S&W puts on their 1911's? I am particularly interested in any professionals that carry a 1911 daily (in that I mean "a professional 1911 carrier", not necessarily a LEO). Any info is appreciated.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Hobie

Re: OT: Does anyone have a 1911 style that never malfunctions?

Post by Hobie »

Well, my unit's guns worked 100% with ball as long as the springs were in good condition.

I own 3 Colts. One 1991A1 which has a different trigger and a Smith&Alexander MSH. A Combat Commander with an aftermarket straight, steel MSH. A pre-series 80 LW Commander. Non have bobbled with ball or the Remington 230 gr. Golden Saber. Each will react to other ammo with different degrees of difficulty. A bad magazine will make you think you have a bad pistol.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

Never is a big word. I believe that if you havn't broken it, you're not shooting enough.

I've shot screws out of my revolver (450-ish rounds one weekend, in training, 38 Special handloads in 357 Mag revolver).

I have a '45 Remington Rand 1911A1 and it's only stovepiped on me once or twice when I didn't have enough powder in the reloads (lead RN bullets) and failed to go into battery with some other handloads I loaded too long. I believe "boringly reliable" applies.

The gun mags are all trying to sell us stuff, and they need stuff to write about, hence the plethora of articles about fixing things that in general don't need fixing.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Several friends at the local range own and shoot STI 1911's.They are in 9mm,40 Smith and 45 acp and they have had no problems with them at all!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I bought a MilSpec Springfield Armory 1911 about 20 years ago. I shot many thousands of rounds through it trouble free. When I wanted more accuracy out of it I fit a Wilson Match Grade barrel and bushing, installed a beavertail grip saftey, adjustable skeleton trigger and a couple other mods. It still runs 100% of the time. I can't recall ever having any type of failure to feed, fire or eject.
NRA Life Member
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I HAVE A 1962 COLT NM 45 WITH 55,000 ROUNDS THREW IT AS WE SPEAK. IT HAS NOT MALFED A SINGLE ROUND.
I HAVE A KIMBER GOLD MATCH FROM 1998 THAT HAS NEVER MALFED EITHER, EVEN WHEN IT WENT FULL AUTO, OR WHEN THE REAR SIGHT FRACTURED IN TWO AND FELL OFF THE PISTOL, NOR EVEN WHEN THE GUIDE ROD BROKE.
OF COURSE TO PUT THIS ALL IN PERSPECTIVE I HAVE A KIMBER RIMFIRE TARGET WITH 12,700 ROUNDS THREW IT, OF WHICH A TOTAL OF 250 ROUNDS, 25 MAGAZINES FULL WENT THREW WITH OUT A SINGLE STOPPAGE. THE OTHER 12,450 ROUNDS--TWELVE HUNDRED AND FOURTY FIVE MAGAZINES FULL-- AVERAGED TWO STOPPAGES PER MAGAZINE FULL AND THREE TO FOUR WAS NOT UNCOMMON. SEVEN OF THE TEN MAGAZINES DID NOT WORK AT ALL TO SPEAK OF AND YOU MAY FIND THOSE FOR FREE IN THE CHEYENNE RIVER SOUTH OF WASTA, SD. GO OUT BY THE QUICKSAND AND IT IS NOT TOO DEEP THERE.
AHHHHHH....BUT TO END ON A HAPPY NOTE, I HAVE A CUSTOM SHOP SPRINGFIELD LIGHTWEIGHT FULLSIZED 9X23 1911 THAT SHOOTS LIKE A MILLION BUCKS AND HAS NEVER MISSED A LICK. IT IS A BEAUTIFUL 1911 PISTOL OF EXQUISITE SIMPLICITY.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I have a pair of Kimber Ultra CDP's (that is the itty bitty 3 inch model) that have never malfunctioned. I use only Kimber mags and either ball or premium defense rounds from Corbon or sometimes Hornady. I broke them both in with 200 rounds of white box ball each. I have a couple of thousand rounds through each and have had zero problems personally. A friend had trouble making them run until we stiffened up his limp wrist and then they were right back to boringly reliable and accurate.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've had what seems like a ton of different makes of the 1911 pattern and most all of them ran without a problem other than ones that can be contributed to bad mags. I pack a Les Baer Premier II every day with a Colt Officer's Model at times and again they've never failed me other than problems that can be contributed to bad mags. I'm pretty picky about what brand of guns I'll buy anymore. As stated already, I've ran through what seems like a ton of different makes and models. That said, most name brand 1911 models being made today are of a substantially higher quality than what used to be available.
Old Law Dawg
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

99.99% of jaming problems in a decent 1911 can be traced to ammo or magazine problems.

I have a Colt Govt Model and two Norinco 1911A1s and both are 100% with 230 brain ball or 230 Rem. Golden Saber. They also feed my handloads with 100% reliability.

When John Browning designed the pistol, he got it right. The more folks try and improve the design, the more problems they introduce. There is nothing wrong with either the 1911 or 1911A1 design pistols. The troublesome 1911 pistols I have had over the years, were pistols somebody else jacked with or some designer thought he could improve on the design.

The bad rep, the pistol received with due to worn out rattle trap military pistols, or folks that didn't understand how the pistols work. You can't slap ammo together and expect things to work. The pistol is easy to load for, but you must know what you are doing and keep your eye on the ball.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

86er wrote:I'm curious if anyone has a 1911 style handgun that is virtually trouble free - without any custom work. What kind of ammo or varieties of ammo work to perfection? Is there any real advantage to the external extractor like S&W puts on their 1911's? I am particularly interested in any professionals that carry a 1911 daily (in that I mean "a professional 1911 carrier", not necessarily a LEO). Any info is appreciated.
Not currently, but I've had several.
The best of the lot was a mid 1930s Colt Government Model.
All I did to it was throat it. From that point on it would feed empty cases from the magazine. Never jammed, never failed.
Eventually it got a new set of sights and a few minor mods. Nothing major.

The last one was a mid 90s Springfield 1911a1 Mil Spec. Right from the box this gun fed anything I could conceive of loading .. except it never would feed empty cases. I never did any mods to it.

None of my 1911 types were seriously modified. Throating, ambi safety in one, grips, sights, little things. None of the weird stuff they do with them now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My son has Rock Island that has not had one malfunction of any kind. It will shoot ball and HP with out fail.
My grandson has a Springfield GI that needed some break in but now is reliable.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I never handloaded for the .45ACP/1911 - just always used commercial stuff, including HD JHP's etc.

I had a blued .45 Colt 70-Series Lightweight Commander, through which I only put about 2500 bobble-free rounds - before I gave it to my Grandson for his HS graduation last June, and because he liked & shot it so well.
AFAIK, he's only shot another 300-400 rounds since he got it.
The only "gunsmithing" done to it was that I switched out the arched MS housing for a flat version & a Chip McCormick low rear sight, asap I got it.

The second 1911, I currently have, is the LWC's almost-clone, but in stainless - a Springer Champion enhanced 4", with zero mods, that's had about 1500 rounds through it so far w/o any stoppages.
I run two Chip McCormick Powermags with this one, however.
(I've only had it a little over two months)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The only 1911 problem I had was the cheap aluminum Blazer. I would get a stove pipe or two per session. Other than that, trouble free with 230 ball. That is with a Para Ord NRA/ILA model...I have not had the new to me (old to Wind) Kimber enough to make a judgement as I have only put maybe a couple hundred thru it so far.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My AMT 'Government Model' has not jammed in maybe 4,000 rounds, even once. I've dropped it in the gravel, sat on it in mud, and generally abused it. No special magazines.

My bought-used Rock Island wide-body (Para P-14 clone) hasn't jammed with the first couple hundred rounds.

I've a ParaOrdnance P-14 that is a bit more finniky, but I've not 'worked with' it much. I think it may be the fault of the 'extended slide release' I put on it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

have a RIA with a 4" barrel. maybe 500 rounds thru it. hardball and jhp. no jams no misfires. nice gun for a cheap price. 8)
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I bought a Colt Gov't 45 (series 70 I think) when I went on active duty in 1974. Still own it, still shoot it, never a misfire regardless of ammo type. A few loading hang-ups with SWC-style bullets, but I've only shot a box or two of those just for something different.

Cheers,

Carl
Last edited by new pig hunter on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Colt Combat Elite never missed a beat until I had it "tuned".

I also have a 1911 that was made in 1913 that has fed and fired every round
that I've run through it.
I have two Argentine 1927s that have not had a jam either (with decent ammo).

Good 1911s work just fine.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I have a number of 1911s including an A.O.C. (Auto-Ordnance) that if one is to believe the internet is a piece of junk, none of
which have ever burped. But then again I use nothing but Wilson 47Ds.
Magazines are the key to reliable 1911 function even more so than ammo in my experience.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Windjammer »

I have 6 Colts......standard, commanders, and officers model. I use factory ammo. I've never had a problem with any of the six.
Reqards,
Windjammer
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have two 1911-type pistols. My first is one from Auto-Ordnance, and is a classic 1911A1. It is well worn, but very reliable with ball ammo. My other is a Para-Ordnance P12.45, and thus far, it has digested everything I put through it! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My kimber Gold Match did not malfunction with reloads or any factory ammo. I carried it for a lot of years in the service of our country and in teaching civilian marksmansip and CCW courses. I had wilson titanium guide rod, wilson mags, grip screws (hex), spring kit and bearvertail and ambidextrous slide release, and mainspring housing. All drop in stuff. Functioned 100% all the time, every time.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Never failed

Image..Image
Image......Image
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a fairly early Springfield Armory which is below the 40,000 Ser #. I have put about 5000 rds through it and it seems to shoot about anything reliably. it has had no work that affects functioning it does need to be cleaned about every 500 rds so it doesn't gunk up. I did put a tungsten guide rod in it and group gripper kit. But function is the same. I let two Colt's I had go after I got it. It just seemed better and tighter.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

86er,
The below Colt 70 Series Government Model was purchased new by me in 1976 and has since gobbled up 6000+ rounds, most all of it a Lyman 230 rn, loaded with either 5 gr. of Bullseye or 6.5 of Unique (the bullet duplicates the 230 hardball). It ate up every round. The only problem I ever had was when using 200 swc's and my failure not to have the bullet seated deep enough.

I have never done anything to this gun except have a set of Colt ivories put on it.

The 'Smith external extractor is a solution to a non-existent problem.--------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I have the Mil-Spec 1911A1 from Springfield Armory. It eats everything I've run through it. Surplus ball ammo, new Federal AE ball, dirty Wolf steel cased stuff, Speer Lawman HPs, even that aluminum CCI ammo. As long as I clean and lube it periodically, it works like a fork. All the time. Every time.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Charles wrote:99.99% of jaming problems in a decent 1911 can be traced to ammo or magazine problems.
Seldom will a 1911 style semi-auto pistol give problems if the load is 230 ball and the magazines are new. I've only had one trouble me... it was brand new Colt gov't issue from 1971 with it's accompanying magazine. 2nd round stovepiped. I was blamed. Who knows... in nearly 3 years of service after that, it never again gave a problem. Even with match ammo. It was the "practice" gun I was issued with the pistol team I was on in the Navy. In that 2+ years I probably shot close to 30,000 rounds thru it.

Charles' first sentence sez it all.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

1911's are my favorite carry guns, and I have a lot of confidence in them, but I have seen plenty of them jam, at times. I have owned several over about the last 30yrs or so. My personal 1911's are very reliable, but there are plenty of used and sometimes new guns, that will give you trouble out of the box, and might require a bit of work to get them to run 100%

Even on new guns, Colt included, I have seen varying degrees of workmanship, and parts quality and or fitting issues that needed attention. Magazines are the most common problem, and many new guns will have crappy mags that will give problems. Sometimes the extractor needs a little tunning, or replacement, and many pistols that get shot a lot will occasionally break small parts, mainly the extractor, and the firing pin, but it's not that common. I have one semi-custom series 70 Colt that I used to shoot IPSC in the 80's and later IDPA, some in the 90's that required a new firing pin once, and a new extractor one time.

I had a magazine release button break on a Kimber and had to replace it, and I had to replace the factory magazines before it would run right, and I have a Springfield milspec 4 inch commander type gun, that is magazine sensitive, and while most every 1911, I ever owned ran pretty much 100% with Wilson Combat mags, the Springfield did not like them, but Chip McCormick mags run 100% in it, so I use only those in the Springfield.

One of the problems I see on used 1911's a lot is that the 1911 is very likely the most customized, and tinkered with handgun ever made, and the problem is there are so many do it yourselfers who attempt to change out drop in parts and end up screwing up a good gun, drop in parts are not always drop in in reality. So, if you are looking at buying a used gun, look close, to see if it's been monkeyed with. There is nothing wrong with customizing a 1911, but the work needs to be done right, or problems will arise.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

For a carry gun, I really like the size and weight of a lightweight commander, but they have a couple of potential issues. One is they need to be shot with a little stiffer wrist then a full sized 5 inch gun, but that is really not much of a problem, as long as one understands that.

The other issue is sometimes the softer aluminum ramp can get beat up, and give problems with even many hard ball loads, and it doesn't take that long. I had a Colt Lightweight Commander that worked perfectly with my 200gr cast semi-wadcutter loads that I shot for years in competition. However, I got to shooting plain old 230 hardball ammo in it, and it beat up the ramp, and started giving probems, I had it polished out once, but still had some problems. I asked Bill Wilson about this, and he told me that he didn't offer a lightweight aluminum frammed commander at that time, because of the soft ramp issues, and had given up on it for the most part. That was back in the 90's.

I now own the Springfield milspec lightweight commander, which I bought because it has a barrel with a built in steel ramp, which so far has not has issues as far as that is concerned. However, the Milspec label on the Springfield is just so much bull stuff, as it's anything but milspec except maybe for the finish and sights. The springs are totally different, and you can't change them out for standard springs, without doing some machine work to the frame. :evil: And I don't like the spring setup on that gun, or the built in lock in the mainspring housing. And I intend to get that changed. However, the gun runs pretty good now, as long as I run Chip McCormick magazines in it, and I carry it quite a bit.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Another issue that can cause problems is the slide stop lever. I have seen some guns that needed work in that area. I have seem some 1911's that would allow the slide stop to bounce up and lock the slide back before the gun ran dry, and the issue is I have seen some guns that the slide stop would not bounce up and lock the slide back after the last round was fired. Those extra large and extended slide stops can cause problems sometimes, but any slide stop that is not fitted correctly will cause problems at times. It's another one of those drop in parts that sometimes isn't drop in.

Another issue is ambi safetys, being lefthanded, I have always needed them on my personal 1911's, but they are weaker and can sometimes break if forced, bad luck, etc. And many people will attempt to install these themselves. That's ok if they know what they are doing, and don't settle for a less then perfect fitting. I have installed several of them. They can be time consumming to get right, and once again you will find many used guns, and a few new ones that have a sorry safety installation. And related to that is the little spring plunger that pushes against the safety and the other end pushes against the slide stop. This is one little part that sometimes needs to be replaced, and it pays to have a few different ones in your tool box, because they are slightly different, one to another brand, stainless, or black etc. and many times one will not work really good, but swap out for another, and all is well, and sometimes they require a little polishing on the ends.

I just remembered something. When I ordered my custom Wilson Combat 1911, years ago, I ordered it with a ambi-safety. Even they didn't get it right. A not so strange thing, happens when a lefty shoots a 1911, vs a righthander shooting the same gun. Sometimes an ambi-safety that works perfectly with a right hander using it, will hang up on a lefty, during use, if it isn't installed right, depending on the type of safety of course. Well sure enough I was working it back and fourth while still in their shop, and the problem cropped up. They took it back and worked on it before I left, I was playing with it while drive down the road and it messed up again, I turned around and took it back, and left it. I picked it a week later, and had the same problem.

This time, I just decided to fix it myself, and be done with it. Which I did, took me probably an hour start to finish. I called them up to order something else, and they asked me about my gun, I told them the safety still wasn't right when I got it, but not to worry, I fixed it myself. The voice on the phone said "YOU WHAT!" They wanted to look at it. So, one day when I was in the area, I dropped in and let them look at it. They took it back in the shop and disected it. Really I did very little to it, but just a slight bevel in a couple of places that kept it from jumping out and locking the gun up. That gun still works pefectly today, even after thousands of rounds.

So, even a custom gun, might not always work out of the box, that's just the way it is.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Ok, all that being said in my other posts, the 1911 is still my favorite semi-auto pistol, and once I get to know a certain pistol well, and I have shot it a fair amount, and know it to be 100% reliable, then I will trust it, probably more so then about any other semi-auto. However, I don't much trust those little chopped down 1911's very much, and they do have a reputation for not being as reliable as the average 5 inch gun.

And no you don't have to have a custom high dollar big name 1911 to have a fine reliable 45 auto. And you don't need a real tight slide to frame fit, either. I have had 1911's that rattled like a bucket of bolts when you shook it, but still shot accurate and reliably. But just the same, I can appreciate a nice custom fitted 1911. My favorite 1911, and the best one I ever owned is a Wilson Combat 5 inch gun. I will never let it go, but neither will I ever let go of my old semi-custom, series 70 goverment, either.

I also still currently own the Springfield Mil-spec 4 inch commander style gun and it's more or less stock, except for an ambi -safety.

And I also currently own a Kimber Custom Compact, (4 inch barrel, and officer length grip), it's mostly stock, except for a full length guide rod, ambi-safety, and Wilson Wood Slab grips. The stock magazines in the Kimber were junk, I run Wilson mags in it.
NRA Life Member, Patron
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Joe, I have a Springfield 1911A1 that I've added some mods to - nothing irreversible - Wilson group gripper guide rod, match trigger, new grip panels, drop-in beavertail and flat mainspring housing - and I can't recall this pistol ever jamminig or failing to eject or anything with everything I've fed it. Its more accurate than I am.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I have a Springfield "loaded" model that has never failed. Most of the rounds through it have been 200 grain cast loads with Unique.
A load I chose for economic reasons, not reliability. I have had a great experience with the Springfield.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

86er wrote:I'm curious if anyone has a 1911 style handgun that is virtually trouble free - without any custom work. What kind of ammo or varieties of ammo work to perfection? Is there any real advantage to the external extractor like S&W puts on their 1911's? I am particularly interested in any professionals that carry a 1911 daily (in that I mean "a professional 1911 carrier", not necessarily a LEO). Any info is appreciated.

86er, I don't know how to define a Professional, and I don't claim to be one, either, but I do question how much anyone has really shot anykind of semi-auto, and still says that it has never failed. Any of them can and will fail, sooner or later, if shot enough, due to a faulty magazine, an imperfect ammo, dirty gun, or actually broken parts. In competition, I have seen some of the best shooters in the world, experience a malfuction, on occasion, during competitive shooting, and they were usually using the best of guns, but assuming that the gun was a good proven one, in good working order, and the ammo is good, then I would say that the chances of a malfuction are rather remote, but sooner or later, a magazine will fail, or something else will, and that is where a good clearance drill is important to have learned.

I will say this though, as much as I love 1911's, I have seen plenty of then that were not 100% reliable out of box. I have seen enough of them have issues, that if I had to go and pick a semi-auto handgun new out of box, without testing it, and bet my life on it working for sure, then I just might choose a Glock 22 over a 1911, and this comes from a life long user and fan of the 1911. However, once I have shot any given 1911 enough to trust it, then it would be my first choice.
NRA Life Member, Patron
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I had a Springfield Mil-Spec for a while that I got really cheap off of one of my buddies. I didn't shoot it all that much, maybe a few hundred rounds before I sold it, but I don't ever recall a malfunction. All I shot through it was the dirty Wolf ammo, but that was back when you could get it for $6.00 a box. Ah, those were the days.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I don't own a 1911 (working on that) but i've shot everything from rattling milspec guns to $4,000 custom pieces.

My wife's first and only 1911 experience was on a Colt customized by Mr. Novak himself. I spoiled her....it was her birthday.

Most "Browning clone" 1911s that stay as close to possible to the original spec run well with decent ammo/mags. The more you mess with it, generally, unless it's a very good gunsmith, the more problems appear. My brother's completely bone stock other than added Pachmayrs 1991A1 Colt has run around 3,000 rounds through it in the last 12 years and never had trouble. He's not a big shooter, but it runs well.

If i had to have a gun out of the box that I considered "reliable" the Springfield GI or Milspec with some decent mags, or one of the Loaded models........or a nice semicustom piece (Wilson CQB, Nighthawk) depending on just how much they'd done to it.

Other than a larger safety, memory bump grip safety (I have little hands, i need it) and a commander hammer, I don't "need" anything particularly customized on a 1911.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have a Springfield MILSPEC that I purchased new when I retired from the Army about 5 yrs ago. I have shot a hair over 3000 rnds and have had only 1 malfuntion with the first 50 rounds. I shoot 230 grn FMJ blaser brass for factory plinking ammo, 200 rnfp reloads (primary load) and 230 grn JHP +p Federal HST for Defense Rounds. It has fed every bullet that I have put into it without a hiccup.

My brother in law has the KIMBER Pro Carry. VERY NICE! I have shot his pistol several times and it handles like a dream and shoots the groups just a hair tighter than my SPRINGFIELD.

If I were to pick an Out of the Box 1911, I would pick the kimber pro carry or a Springfield Loaded. IF this is going to be a CCW piece, Go with the KIMBER PRO CARRY. It is lighter.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I came back to the 1911 after a long time shooting other pistols. So I'm fairly limited as to experience with it. Before I'd always shot factory ball in GI mags with good reliability. Now with my current Taurus, I'm shooting a lot of reloaded, cast & hollow point ammo. My experience for the last 3 years of 1911 ownership have come down to these things(some learned from and apply to other 45s too).

IMHO

The 1911 has a reputation for reliability. What's changed that has been the ammo, magazines, and the 8th round. None of this is carved in stone, as individual guns are just that, but generally:

First off, don't bother with cheap magazines. There are some exceptions to this rule, but there aren't many "real" surplus GI mags out there anymore at low prices. New GI spec(the real ones that actually meet that standard) won't be cheap.

People want the guns to shoot hollow point and SWC ammo. The gun was designed for ball and magazines have changed to get them to feed other ammo reliably. Most new manufacture (non-GI spec) have a little longer feed lip to feed (the much shorter, .040-.050" OAL) hollow points. The old GI mags worked with ball, but let the shorter hollow point ammo release too soon causing a lot of malfunctions(stovepipe) and that had the aftermarket/factory manufacturers making this modification. A side effect is: it made them feed ball less reliably than the GI mag (FTF). I've found that reloading ball with these mags you need to run a little shorter OAL than spec(I go to the shorter hollowpoint OAL, YRMV), then it works well out of them.

If you want a flat based magazine stay with a 7 round as there comes a time when all the 8s have the springs get weak. A lot of the cheap ones start with weak springs to get that extra round. I'm not convinced that it's possible to get a good enough thin spring that will allow the 8th round in a flat base, even with the higher quality ones, at least not for very long.

To get a good 8 round mag some of the other manufacturers have gone to a longer tube to get a heavy enough spring in there to keep the magazine working with the 8th round and not have too much pressure on the first round. The Taurus mag has a longer tube than a flat based mag to get that extra round. I'm of the belief that that is the way to get to 8.

I had my first malfunction with a factory mag a couple weeks ago but I noticed the spring was out of place, I'd apparently reassembled it wrong after cleaning it :oops: . I like the Taurus mags for my gun, that's the only malfunction I've ever had with one, but I'm not sure how well the plastic base will hold up if dropped on a hard surface so I've recently switched to the Cer-Tac 8 round mags. They also have a plastic base but the spring is retained by a steel lip not the base. Supposedly they still function if the plastic base is broken. Don't know, as I haven't broken a base yet. They are very similar to the Taurus, who, I'm sure, copied (or built upon :wink: ) designs from one of the other 8 round manufacturers, just as Cer-Tac did. So far, so good, there have been no malfunctions with them.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I have a Colt Delta Elite (10mm) that I have ran many different types of ammo through without a single problem. A guesstimation of round count would be ~2000 or so.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Thanks for the great replies. I had the opportunity to use 12 different guns yesterday. I narrowed it down to a gun that I can point and the sights are right there lined up for me. One was the S&W 1911 Compact (shorter grip/regular length slide) and the other was a 1978 Colt CC (stock). I'm going to play with several more before deciding but thanks to you guys I know what I am looking for.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm a 1911 jinx. Every one of the 8 or so I've had have malfunctioned in some (or several) ways. Thats with a variety of good magazines, and ball ammo.

I decided many years ago that I wouldnt trust one as an only gun if my life or skin was on the line. A 1911 didnt do anything I couldnt do with a Smith revolver at least as well, and with more horse power in general.

I'm glad others have had good experiences with them, I just havent had the level of reliabilty with the ones I've had.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
coachise
Levergunner

Post by coachise »

I've not had a single malfunction with either of my colt gov't models. A series 80 and a WWI repro. I shoot nothing but reloads. Wish I could say the same for my Springfield GI. The Springer shoots well, but will hiccup now and again.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Colt Series 70 Mark IV .45 ACP - the one with the collet bushing that so many have disparaged. I did install slightly stiffer Wolff Springs and eventually a new collet bushing after the old one seemed to lose its tight grip on the barrel; but otherwise no custom work has ever been done to it. It has seen the addition of laser grip sights, but no internal work. A few old mags were replaced along the way as the springs seemed to get wimpy, since I have kept several mags filled and ready over the years.

There has never been a problem that I could attribute to the gun. I have fired one or two range rounds (reloads) that failed and I ejected them and kept firing. Then, among the first few lead SWC wadcutters I ever loaded, some were not seated at the right depth and there were a few jams until I got it right. But no factory loads or any of my later reloads have ever jammed.

It was a full-time duty weapon (1975-1988) and carried as a backup for years after that; now my personal (civilian) carry weapon. I fired well over 5,000 rounds through this great handgun, just counting the duty years. The only time a gunsmith has touched it was add a a Bomar rear sight, and then to reblue it many years later at the Colt factory.

I have done nothing except take care of the 1911, and it has taken care of me - a remakably reliable sidearm.
peabody
Levergunner

Post by peabody »

i have an old norinco 1911A1 , G.I.

has never failed.

i've shot it a bunch, it loves 230 ball. very accurate.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

My 1911 experience is limited to these 2, admittedly cheaper models. , Springfield GI and a 3.5" barrel RIA. Both have roughly the same round count (around a grand each --- which means they are both still new basically)

I have had stoppages with the GI with the stock mag, McCormick mags, and Wilson mags. Tuning the extractor made it much better, but it is still not perfect-- averages 1 or 2 FTC every 50 rounds. For now, this pistol has a "Range Toy" status because of this. It is pleasantly accurate for a rack grade pistol though

The compact Rock Island OTOH has never missed a beat. I only have a couple of mags for it -- the one it came with and a Kimber mag. No probs with either -- ever. I shoot 230 grain JRN and LRN, and have put 100 rounds of Gold Dot through it to check for reliable functioning. Its my carry gun ----- I have had people pooh pooh it for lacking night sights or this and that, but i think to myself, the Colt Lawman i carried before never had tritium sights either, nor does a Model 10 Smith or any number of great guns people have used in the line of duty

That said, if i had a fresh tax refund in the kitty waiting to be put to good use, i would probably unload it on a Nighthawk --- seriously sweet craftsmanship there.

----- Doug
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I have a Colt Stainless officers' ACP that I purchased new in 1988. It will feed anything that fits the chamber.

The only time it has failed to feed was when the magazine springs took a set and once with a batch of commercial reloads in oversized brass (the cartridges literally would not fit into the chamber).

It has worked flawlessly with FMJ of several different designs, and is 100% reliable with the stubby CCI 200 gr. "Flying Ash Tray" JHP's. When I carry it, it is loades with CCI 200 gr. JHP's with a spare magazine loaded with Federal 230 gr. Hydro-Shok's.

FWIW, a clerk a Thad Scott's Fine Guns told me that the "shop gun" was a Stainless Officers' ACP and all it would feed was standard roundnose hardball.

As for custom tweaks, it ain't got none! It feeds reliably, goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and if it doesn't hit where I point it, it is probably my fault! Why should I throw money away trying to improve on something John Browning perfected nearly 100 years ago? it ain't broke so I felt no urge to "fix" it.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Doc Hudson wrote:Why should I throw money away trying to improve on something John Browning perfected nearly 100 years ago?
Maybe not an improvement but if I had scads of cash to just throw around I could get used to one of these:

Where's that "Really, REALLY WANT!" pic of AJMDs? :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

In my former life I put a LOT of rounds through 1911 pistols and carried one for my job so here are my opinions based on my experiences. I love the 1911. None of them are 100% reliable because people are not 100% reliable. The worst are the high capacity 1911's. They are about as reliable as the weather report. I would never let an unknown/unproven gunsmith modify anything that my survival may depend on. The only mags worth using are Wilson and McCormick. A good 1911 will feed ball, hollow points and match ammo equally. A good 1911 will feed its own fired brass (manually cycled). I only have experience with the full size Kimbers, but they are reliable and a LOT of gun for the money. Remember, a 1911 is like a NASCAR, you can drive it hard but for maximum performance, it has to be fed the best (ammo, mags, parts), maintained by the best crew (don't let the local Dremel tool owner touch it), and you have to take it in for pit stops (maintenance). If that is not your idea of a defensive handgun, buy a Glock.
exdetsgt
Levergunner

Post by exdetsgt »

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Never a malfunction, and I've run a wide variety of ammo through it. Butter smooth trigger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Well I jusrt finished building up another 1911 and I'll put in my 2 cents worth. To start with most folks tend to put too much worthless STUFF on a 1911 carry gun. John Browning knew what he was doing,stay clear of acessories with dubious value. As to functioning most of the major brand 1911's after a good break in of say 200 rounds or so will make a reliable carry gun. My current carry gun started life as a Rock Island and here's what I did to make it 100% and WHY I did it.

First I polished the feed ramps to perfection up to tripoli compound. I replace the recoil spring with a 18 pound Wilson and did the same for the mainspring and the firing pin spring and saved the originals for spares. This was just a precaution as I am still leary of foreign springs. I replaced the recoil spring tube with a Cylinder and Slide unit as I wanted the captured plug, I don't want it coming loose if I have to clean in the field. I used a Wilson grip safety and a Wilson hammer and sear only because when you have to shoot 500 rounds a day at instructor updates it's more comfortable in the long haul, otherwise there is nothing wrong with the hammer that comes on the gun and if the gun doesn't bite you don't NEED the other. The trigger pull was set to 4 pounds even and I replaced the slide stop as the factory unit was just a tad too short and wouldn't catch on the 3 wilson mags I fit to the gun. I threw away the plastic bottomed mags that came with the gun, drop them on ice or cement in a fast reload and they can break, only the best mags for serious use. I also replace the sights with FIXED sights just high enough to see and dehorned so I don't tear up my clothes.

Notice NO extended this and that. Extended mag release will rub on the holster and you will lose your mag. Extended slide release can hang up and will tend to ride up in recoil. No extended safety as I have no trouble with the post war factory unit and again it doesn't ride off in the holster. 1/2 the guys I see on the range have their safety rub into off safe in the holster. No guide rod, if it's for serious use you need to be able to take it apart without tools. No shock buff, the last thing you need is litle pieces of plastic in the guts and trust me they are nice on the range but bad at 20 below when the feces hits the mixmaster. No compensator to put a ball of fire in front of your eyes at night. Total retail cost of gun and mods is right at $550.00. The gun had to digest 250 rounds of mixed loads with NO failure of any kind and passed the test.

The whole gun when finished was parkerized to match in all the parts and the mags, but this wasn't strictly necessary. I prefer the parkerizing as it is the dullest least reflective finish and stands up well to steady use. I save the shiney guns with ivory grips for County Fair.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I owned an early Springfield Armory, Inc. 1911 that never malfed; all I used was factory FMJ ammo.

My Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special has never malfed.

I have owned a couple of Series 80 Colt Government Models that were reliable enough for me to have faith in them, even though the word "never" was not quite applicable. One was 100% reliable after 400 rounds, and the other had a very minor feeding bobble after working 100% for the better part of a decade.

I expect factory 1911s to have minor issues during the first couple of hundred rounds. The mass-produced ones might need some wearing-in of imprecisely-fitted parts, and the semi-customs might need some of their tightness to wear smooth a bit. I also expect a rogue magazine to make its personality known when an otherwise reliable 1911 chokes on its feeding. So, for my SA and Baer to have been 100% reliable is quite a feat.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.