OT- What are you most used rifles and pistol cartridges?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT- What are you most used rifles and pistol cartridges?

Post by 336A »

Ok it's time to get down to the brass tacks. Before I start I want to say that I'm no collector but I don't frown on those that are. I also don't frown upon folks that like a little variety either, different strokes for different folks is all. But I got to thinking the other day about when someone started a thread about "Getting Back to the Basics". I thought that this was a pretty neat concept, as time went by I realized that heck I was already there and never progressed beyond the basics :) Here are my basics.

1. Small Game Rifle: My Henry H001 .22 Long Rifle .22LR rifle, no self respecting American should be with out one. They afford the owner tons of shooting enjoyment as well as a cheap way to keep up on the fundamentals of shooting. We all also know what an incredible small game and varmint/pest getter they are as well. I collect more small game with my .22 than any other cartridge that I use.

2. Shotgun: The field is very diverse and varied here and it don't matter what gauge or action type you prefer. For me it is the good ol' Mossberg 500 12GA combo. This was my first deer/turkey/small game do it all gun. I collected my very first deer with this gun with the trophy slugster barrel installed using the old Winchester version of the BRI Sabot Slug. Over the years I've hunted upland game with nothing but the modified choke installed in the 28" field barrel. This gun coupled with Winchester 3" 2OZ #4 Turkey loads accounted for quite a few turkeys. I also had a most memorable hunt one year when I hit a big ol' hen at 45yd with this set up :shock: When I paced the distance I thought I mis-counted. I paced that shot 3 times to make sure and came up with 45 every time. I worked my rear end off on the farm so I could afford this one, so it is very near and dear to me aside from all of the game getting memories that we share.

3. General Purpose Rifle: For me this would be my Marlin .44 mag 1894ss. This is my do it all gun though it is more than is needed it serves house duty as well. I have no close by neighbors or children so over penetration is not a concern with me. Whether it is coyotes in the pasture, woods bumming to Black bear in the thick NY woods this one gets fed Hornady 240gr XTP HP over a max charge of H110. It already has two deer, several racoons and porquepine to its credit. Anything that gets within 125yd is in for some serious trouble of being ventilated for sure.

4. Big Game Rifle: Why what else would it be but my 336A 2002 vintage Marlin in 30-30 of course :D This rifle never ceases to amaze me, it is vey accurate with the ammo it likes such as Federal Fusion and Hornady LE. I know I don't need to preach to the choir here, as we all know how deadly it is on game from Deer to Moose. I have a self imposed limit of not taking any shots on Deer sized game at more than 300yd no matter what the cartridge is, and only then when the conditions are right. My rifle just so happens to shoot the Hornady LE ammo very well and I'm very comfortable with this rifle and ammo out to that distance. However I always try to and do get much much closer, most of my shots will probably never exceed 200yd. To this day I've never shot a deer past 140yd. But if I had to shoot a wounded deer and could not get closer than 300yd that rifle and I are certainly capable with that ammo. I actually hunt with the Federal Fusion ammo but carry 3 spare rounds of the Hornady LE stuff just in case. In my rifle they both stike to the same point of aim at 100yd figure that one out :?
For largrer game (if I ever get the opportunity) my self imposed limit is cut to 150yd max, and as always closer is always better. I know that there are other cartridges better suited to game the size of Elk and Moose, but at this point I don't forsee another big game rifle in my future anytime soon. So right now Elk or Moose is nothing more than a pipe dream. I have yet to ever feel at a disadvantage with this rifle.

5.Handgun Cartridge: This is the one that I cut my teeth on more than any other as I count on it (God forbid) to save mine and my wife's bacon. For this my pick is the ubiquitous .38 SPL. For social purposes I've been using nothing but my fathers S&W M60 no dash since 2001. I keep it stoked with the Rem version of the "FBI" load and a spare speed loader in my pockect with the Speer 135gr +P Short Barrel load as it loads faster. Even though it only holds 5 rounds I never feel under gunned. This one also has some serious sentimental value as it was my father's off duty revolver for a long long time. It is also one of a few that I'm very proud to have inherited from my late father. For the woods I use my recently purchased S&W M10. Even though I have never needed it, it is always with me when I go hunting or woods bumming. Once again I've never felt under gunned with it but it is always second to a log gun of some sort.
My favorite load for this gun when out in the woods is a 158gr cast SWC from Tenessee Valley bullets over 4.6gr of Unique.

Ok so there is my basics. If needed I could do away with the Marlin 1894 .44, but I like it to much to get rid of it as it does fill a specific niche. So what are your basics?
Last edited by 336A on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- What are you most used rifles and pistol cartridges?

Post by shooter »

Depends on how basic you want to get. I would definitely take my Ruger Single Six Bisley along with my Marlin 39A. After that would be my Super Blackhawk and Win. 94 30-30. Those would probably my two most "basic" combos, and my first two picks.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Just the basics for you shooter. I'm not asking the "if you were only limited to" question. But what I'm getting at is what are the most used cartridges by the members here.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

For actual "hunting", it's mostly a scoped 1903 Springfield sporter in 30-06 cal. For the daily walking around in the hills, it's often a 94 Winchester carbine, or the '03 Springfield, if light is poor. Walking the creeks near the mountain where the bears live, or up on top, a Browning 86 carbine, or the Winchester 71. Small game or grouse is generally handled by the 94 with round ball loads, or, recently, the 71 with round ball loads. I like having the 71 over the 94 up where the grouse and grizzlies live.

Handguns are mostly 44 mag Smith, or Ruger 45 Colt.

Have 22's for practice, but haven't hunted with them in a while.

Never had much use for a shotgun.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Gotcha. Well, then, besides the guns and calibers listed above, I would probably have to add my Pre '64 Win. 70 in .243. That gun will just flat out shoot. Also my Henry .22 WMR. That gun is smooth and a tack driver. I would also have to take along my Guide Gun. Other than that I can do without my other guns. I never had much use for a shotgun, besides dove hunting. I know it is a useful tool when applied correctly, but just not as interesting to me as the other guns.

I would also have to say my SKS. Not usually a semi-auto fan, but for some reason I love this gun.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

My most used guns are:

1. CZ side by side 20 gauge shotgun
2. Marlin 336 in 30-30
3. Super Blackhawk 44 mag (4 5/8" barrel)

Really, if I have those three guns I can so everything hunting wise. My two other most used guns are a Marlin 39A and a Remington Model 7 in 243. I used to use the 39A a lot for squirrel hunting but finally switched to the shotgun. Where I grew up the all the leaves came off early but here they stay on a lot longer so it is shotgun country. The 243 is my long range rifle and is a deer killer. I don't use those two much anymore. I kill varmint squirrels around the house with the 39A and did kill two deer with the 243 in 2009 but it hadn't been out of the house for several years prior to that.
My 44 mag load is in between Special and Magnum and is plenty powerful to shoot right through a hog or deer. A full house 44 mag is just too powerful. Now don't get me wrong. I have other guns too. In the past I had even more. I have gravitated to those three though because they work.
I am very fond of my iron sighted Winchester 94 carbine in 30-30. I used to use it a lot to kill deer and still think it is a super all around rifle. It is just good.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Anything older than I am that chambers any of the 22 rimfire rounds.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

If you want to get into my most used guns than you can get me down for 3 for 100% of my hunting and defense needs.

#1 is one of my Ruger 10/22's, take your pick on which one. I bet I send 5 times the amount of ammo down these than I do the rest of my guns combined.

#2 and 3 are a tie. One would be my slug gun. It only gets used in the field for 5 days but it's a solid 5 days and most years it puts down more meat than my other guns combined. The other gun would be my Savage .22-250. After deer season closes this gun is my constant companion in the field until the end of February, maybe march. Never leave home without it.

Honorable mentions: Win 94AE. While I'd like to see it share duty with the .22-250 I've yet to work up a load that I deem accurate enough. So for now it's parked. Ruger 22/45. When I had coondogs it was my main gun for night work. Since then it has become my main handgun for plinkin and practice. Probably put twice the amount of ammo thru it than my centerfire handguns combined.

What does the future hold? I'm wanting to build/buy a .257 Bob or 7mm-08 Carbine for a walking gun to share duty with the .22-250 and double as a deer gun (another duty the Winchester was supposed to fill in but again, it's parked). The other gun, more than likely my next gun will be a stainless 16" 1894 in .357 but that is just a luxury gun.

LK
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

Amazing.. almost identical to mine:

.22 henry, 535 mossberg, 30/30 (savage 340) .38 special s&w and a 45/70 marlin :)
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

.22lr and .357magnum, in both handgun and rifle.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Here goes.....my most shot....S&W Model 17 .22LR, Remington 700 BDL 30-06, Glock 19 9 mm, S&W M&P (pre model 10) .38 Special, Remington 1100 or 1187 and Ruger 10-22 .22LR.......now most fun....Stevens 940 .410, Savage 311 .410, Winchester '94 30 WCF, Winchester or Inland M1 Carbine, Colt SAA .45 Colt, Colt series 70 1911A1 .45 ACP....man the list goes on.....

jumbeaux
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I rotate several 22 Smith & Wesson revolvers and a couple of 22 rifles... Marlin 39 and a Ruger 77/22... I usually run at least 50 rounds a week through one of my 22's.

A pair of 357's are the riding and walking around guns... a Uberti Cimeron SAA and a Marlin Carbine.

Carry/HD... usually a SW 65 3" (357M) or a Colt 1911 ... the 45 will probably get a lot of work the next few months... I am going to a couple of pistol schools.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

1. Small Game Rifle: Any number of 22LR rifles, the 1927 Marlin 39 would be my first choice.
2. Shotgun: Don't shoot my shotgun much, Mossberg 500, 12Ga
3. General Purpose Rifle: Win 1894AE 44Mag
4. Big Game Rifle: 1908 Marlin 1893 t/d in 30-30
5. Handgun Cartridge: S&W 21-4 44Spcl, S&W 18 22LR, S&W M41 22LR
6. Varmint Rifle: Savage 99 22HP, Marlin 62 30 Carbine

Plan to get out and really use these this year.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

My most used rifle is my CSA 75 in 4570, followed very close by my win 95 in 405 , my Italian sharps in 45 2.3 (45-70 but the mucked the chamber so I have to use long brass) and my Winchester Miroku 22 lowall. and last but not least is my blr 243. There's others but these are the ones I shoot the most thru the year.
Handguns , New vaquero in 45 colt, bisley clone in 38 wcf, and my ruger bh 357 converted to 44 special.
Shotgun 870 rem express 20 ga, 3in.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Most used rifle toss up between 30-30 and 22 mag for predator control kinda depends on the predator, pistol is a 22 mag. danny
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Marlin 1894 in .45 (modified for Cowboy .45 Special) and Ruger BH and 2 vaqueros to match.

Mauser wearing the original 1918 vintage 8MM barrel and new wood and trigger.

10-22 all tricked out for a target gun.

I have lots more, but if need be they could mostly all go with no tears.
Certified gun nut
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[what I'm getting at is what are the most used cartridges by the members here.]

My hit parade is:

#1: .22 rimfire, hands down most heavily used

#2: 20ga Shotgun

#3: .38 Spec/.357 Mag

#4: .30-06

#5: .45-70

the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

44 mag levergun will take anything I need here.
Pistol, gotta go with the 45 Colt or 44WCF in a single action. If I must go D/A then 357mag.
If I gotta use a semi-auto then its gotta be a 45acp.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

.22 Rifle: Ancient Marlin 60 that still runs flawlessly

'Real' rifle: 30-06 in a Remington 78 or 7400

'Fun' rifle: .223 in a Mini 14 (580 Series)

Jack Of All Trades: .30 WCF in a 94 Winchester

Intermediate Pistol: Glock 23 with .40 loads from 700 fps (lead SWC) on up*

Jack Of All Trades: .45 Colt in an Old Vaquero or 16" Puma

*great little cartridge which has replaced the .38/357 in this role for me
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009 ... -post.html
Just need an intermediate revolver for it!
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

#1 - .357 (1894CSS gen-purpose carbine, 686 & GP100 gen-purpose handguns, 60-9 concealed carry handgun)

#2 - .22LR (617 small-game handgun, Mini hideout gun, kids gun)

#3 - 8x57 (Mauser brush/deer rifle)

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

His, 35 Rem (M336), 45 Colt (Ruger Blackhawk, Puma 92), 45ACP (Colt 1911)

Hers, 30-30 (M336), 45 ACP (Colt 1991-A1)
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Small game Win 9410,Win 63,Uberti 73 22lr and now Uberti 66 22lr(planning on adding pedersoli 12ga mortimer flint)

Big Game Win 95 30/06,Rem 81 35rem,Mauser prewar Sporter 8mm,Shiloh Sharps military rifle 45/70 (new for this season Rifle Shoppe Baker rifle)
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

.22LR (Ruger 10/22; Ruger 96/22
12ga pump (Remington 870)
.38 Special (S&W Model 10; S&W Model 64)
.30-30 (Winchester Pre-64 Model 94; Winchester 94AE)
.30-06 (Too many to list)
.444 Marlin (.444 Marlin Mfg. 1979 Microgroove Barrel)
ED
Yer never too old
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My most used:

Small game - .22lr in a lever rifle. my Marlin TDS sees lots of action
Bird shooting/small game - 12 gauge - either my paradox or my sxs hammer gun
Big Game - .357 lever (Rossi '92) is my most used. Also use the paradox
NA hunting and African plains game - Griffen & Howe '03 -06
Lever gun big game - Wild West Gun .457 Co-pilot
African big game - 450/400 sxs Double Rifle
Personal defence Hand gun - one of my .357 hand guns

calibers: .22lr, .357 mag, 12 bore are certainly my most used/shot.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Most used cartridges.

12 ga shotgun
308 Win
45 ACP
.22 long rifle, and .22mag

Honorable mention and the next tier of usage
44mag
40 S&W
45 Long Colt
,357 mag
30/30
25-06
30-06
38 special
45/70
348 Win
350 Remington Mag
.32acp
NRA Life Member, Patron
ornery
Levergunner

Post by ornery »

Everyday..

Ruger 45LC SS 4.5bbl

S&W 25-5 4in. 45LC for CCW

Win. 94 Trapper Pre-safety 45LC

Big Game...Marlin 45/70 Cowboy

(I pack in hunters and the 45LC has finished more elk than the 45/70.)

Charter LW 38...when I'm actually working cows...Clips onto my chaps in an old Bianchi leather clip holster. Fits in a pocket..
Out of the way....will put down a fighting cow, crippled horse, enough gun for a "working day". Packing and overnight is the Ruger or the Win. or both. Depends on the job.

22lr...Early Iver Johnson/ Erma lever....

Everything else I own is fluff or fun!
Soy vaquero, nada mas.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My most used CARTRIDGE is the .45 Colt -- rifle and/or pistol, with the .22 WMR a ways behind, again, in both. Then comes my good ol' .45-70, followed by the 12 guage.

The .44 Mag sits in the corner, mostly, and pouts... :lol:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

22 mosberg US 44

30-30 Winchester 94

12 Ga Rmington Single barrel

Lov to shoot My old Garand, Saganaw and Enfield a lot.

357 Dan wesson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Small Game Rifle: I dont really go small game hunting much....but
my favorite rifle for that would be my 9422 trapper
Shotgunning....Remington 870 wingmaster for skeet and trap...
General purpose rifle....walking in the woods gun Wiinchester 94 in 44mag
Big Game I mostly use my Winchester model 70 xTR in 06
Handgun Cartridge SW 629 Classic 44 mag for the woods...
SW 4506 is my everyday carry gun
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

44 mag.

For huntin', plinkin' or just packin' :mrgreen:
Buck Elliott wrote: The .44 Mag sits in the corner, mostly, and pouts... :lol:
I could take the pout off of its face pretty quickly! Shall I PM my address to give joy once again to the King of Cartridges? :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Big Sarge
Levergunner

Post by Big Sarge »

Most used are definitely 5.56mm and 9mm, but that's because where I am. LOL. Back home my most used cartridges are .45-70 and .45 colt
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Thank you for your service, Big Sarge.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

30-30 and the .45 Colt. :D
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

old steel blr.308 wcf with a 4x scope. bb94-.356. rem 870 12 ga. colt new frontier .22. glock 27. keltec pf-9. ww1 1911 .45acp. 8)
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

The most used in the order listed.
.22LR most used in rifle and pistol mostly sub-cal training devices.
5.45x39 practice with AR-15.
.223, .357 Sig, .45, 9mm, .357 Mag, 7.62x51, 12 Ga, .32 and .300 Win Mag for work.
.44 Mag, .45 Colt, 45-70, .454, 35 Rem, .308, 12 Ga, .22 Mag and 30-30 for play and non two legged animals.
Most work guns are autos with the exception of the .357 & .44 Mags.
The hunting guns are mainly revolvers and levers.
It is not the critic who counts
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

* Centerfire Revolver: 357mag
* Centerfire Levergun: 357mag
* Semi-Auto Centerfire Pistol: 45acp/10mm (tie) with 40sw not far behind
* Semi-Auto Centerfire Rifle: .223

* Rimfire Revolver: 22lr
* Rimfire Levergun: 22lr
* Rimfire Semi-Auto Pistol: 22lr
* Rimfire Semi-Auto Rifle: 22lr
* Rimfire Pump Rifle: 22lr
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

Small game: win 9422
Shotgun: Browning 20 ga pump
General purpose: Remington 25-20 pump
Big game: Remington 35 Whelen
Handgun: S&W 41 mag
Varmint: Ruger 220 swift

Mack