OT- Thoughts on 190gr WFN in .38 SPL?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT- Thoughts on 190gr WFN in .38 SPL?

Post by 336A »

I am going to try my hand at using a 190gr WFNPB in the .38 SPL here shortly. A friend of mine has tried Blue Dot with this bullet, which really didn't work as well as he hoped for (large ES, and SD). So I'm thinking of using Unique, and 4.1gr as the charge not to exceed. My goal is to reach or slightly exceed 800 FPS. I'm not really worried about exceeding 800 FPS, if it happens it will just be iceing on the cake. The gun will be a new 4" S&W M10 that I bought last year. So what do you all think of using Unique with this bullet?. And does anyone here have any info that they would like to share on this topic.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I WOULD USE A SLOWER BURNING PROPELLENT WITH THAT HEAVY A BULLET IN THE 39SPL CARTRIDGE.
THE LYMAN MANUALS HAVE HAD LOADING DATA FOR SUCH BULLETS IN THE 38SPL FOR MANY YEARS NOW.
I WOULD HAVE TO ASK WHY THOUGH ???
IT WILL IN ALL PROBABILITY SHOOT WAAAAAY ABOVE THE SIGHTS OF A MODEL 10 S&W AS THESE GUNS AHVE THEIR SIGHTS REGULATED FOR 158gr BULLETS. ON THE OTHER HAND THEY MAY WELL BE RIGHT ON THE MONEY AT AT 200 YARDS OR SO.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

To anwer your question as to why, is because I carry my M10 around the woods with me more than any other sidearm. I also want to expirement with some of the heavy bullets as well in this cartridge. I like heavy for caliber bullets in pistols especialy the .38 SPL. I know that 2400 used to be listed in the older lyman manuals, but it is not in the newer one I have. On that note I don't trust some of the charge weights in the older manuals, as some seem to be overboard (where 2400 is concerned in the .38 SPL especialy). Right now all I have on hand is Unique which is why I am using that.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

On Alliant's site, the .38 Spl data for 200 gn lead bullets indicates Blue Dot and 2400 are the powders to go with.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

I'd probably look at 2400 as my first choice powder.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

IME, the 158s are optimum in the .38 Special. If you were shooting the .357 Mag I might go to 180. BUT, you can load 2.5 gr. of Bullseye behind those bullets.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson