OT: Hunting tactics...then and now

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

OT: Hunting tactics...then and now

Post by firefuzz »

Doc Hudson wrote:What became of the truism:"A real hunter stalks as close as he can get, then belly crawls 50 yards closer." What happened to the goal of giving game powderburns as well as bullet holes?
Seeing this post of Doc's in another thread brought back some very precious memories of hunting with my cousin Frank when we were kids. Frank was three years younger than me and the bother I never had. As kids we were inseperable in the summers, with hunting and fishing being our favorite pastimes, followed by agravating our sisters :wink: . Our plans were to both retire early and spend our time hunting and fishing the U.S., but Frank got killed in a freak boating accident, doing what he loved with the woman he loved, at the age of 30 so those plans can never happen.

Anyway...We learned to stalk game hunting farm pond bullfrogs and cotten-tailed rabbits armed with our trusty Daisy air rifles. I had a '94 clone with a "brass" frame and Frank's was a pump that looked like a Remington .22 rifle. His was more powerful but mine was cooler so we swapped about every other day. With either gun you had to be within about fifteen feet and darn near hit 'em in the eye for a kill and with the game we were hunting that was a trick. Bullfrogs can see almost 360* and rabbits are kinda skiddish so belly crawling 20-30 feet on the pond dam or 25-50 yards thru the field became pretty standand once we spotted the critters. We polished our stalking skill on the farm animals til the cat started taking his naps on the roof and our normally docile dog learned to growl every now and then in his sleep. Sneeking up on a sleeping cow is child's play, startling a sleeping horse will get you stomped. (ask me how I know, thank God it was just the pony!)

We learned about decoys, lookouts, and the advantages of having the high ground when we expanded our game list to squirrels. Ever tried to stalk a squirrel? Their eyesight would make a deer hang it's head in shame and once they spot you they tell every other squirrel within listening distance that you're there. But we figured out that if one of us got their attention the other could skulk up close enough for a shot...sometimes. We ate a lot more rabbit and froglegs than we did squirrel. We did learn about drives hunting squirrels, one of us would go way out and around to the far end of the woods and hide then the other come tromping down from the other end. Worked pretty good...for one shot.

We got a little older and our armament improved to some heavy artillery, Frank got a Mossberg 20ga pump and Dad finally turned me loose with my Stevens pump .22, we swapped those alot too. My oh my, the picken's got easy on the game we were used to hunting. Our game bags filled quicker, but we didn't get to hunt as much, our Dad's were death on just killing animals (that doesn't count rabbits in the gardens) and shell's were alot more expensive than BBs. Then we were offered the job of a lifetime for two young boys...killing crows that were ravaging the neighbors peanut fields...FOR PAY! We were going to get a dollar for every crow we shot! That was a HUGE amount of money for a couple of kids in the 60's in our neck of the woods.

Let me tell ya a little about crows...they're smart, they even see a gun and they're gone. Anyone who brags about an eagle's eyesight never meet a crow. And crow are what the Army copied when it came to using lookouts and early warning systems. Crows have honor too, they'll circle a downed buddy to see if they can help him...our honor was lacking some at that time, we took full advantage of that whenever possible :wink: . The real trick was to get close enough that when the .22 went off we could get another one with the shotgun when the rest took off. Needless to say our stalking skills had to improve. We learned about blinds...stacks of haybales left in strategic locations in the fields, and camoflage...cover sheets to crawl with made of old burlap feed sacks, to increase our odds. We now had income that was more than enough to provide for a surplus of ammo on hand, and a few John Wayne movies :D , so we were able to target shoot quite a bit. We became pretty mean shots with those guns, I've still got the .22 rifle.

These skills came in handy in the following years. The first year the uncles took us deer hunting I was 14, Frank had his Grandpa's '94 .30-30 and I had a brand new Marlin .444 that I had saved every penny I could scrounge for over a year for. The uncles were going to use us as drivers but told us that we could shoot a deer if we saw any, winking at each other the whole time. We each only had one bullet. There were three deer taken that year in deer camp, wanna guess who shot two of them? The uncles never laughed at us as hunters again.

As we got older our stalking skills dimenished due to having jobs and not being able to spend days on end in the woods. We took to the easy, and boring, way of hunting from trees stands and I now hunt from ground blinds ( my knees don't care much for climbing anymore) and still get my share of deer. But I can still remember the days that the cat slept on the roof and the dog growled in his sleep.

Thanks for reminding me of those times, and for allowing me to share them.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Hunting tactics...then and now

Post by KWK »

Well written; thanks.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Great story Rob. I envy you those experiences. Being a city boy I have none.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Great story! I envy your relationship with your brother, cherish those memories!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Great post! :!:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks for sharing. well written. When I was young it was a sling shot, a wrist rocket, that I stalked all manners of things. Had more patience then i think. I remember touching a deer from the back side of a tree that I had seen and stalked to in the rain. No camoflage, just blue jeans and a grey wool sweater, the light rain kept things extra quiet and i used trees and cover to make the approach. boy was she ever surprised. About 10 years ago, I had a string of 14 deer, walking nose to tail, walk with in 6 feet of me. I was on the ground, back to a tree with another tree to my right, the direction of their travel. I shot the last one, a small 6 point, with my muzzleloader. Young days were spent fishing and looking for bull frogs. Many a night was spent shooting frogs with a bow and many other days were spend stalking carp in the flats. Those skills need to be practiced and honed through continual use. As we become preoccupied with other things, we loose that ability. Great memories you have stirred and may you continue to make many more trips in honor of your brother by another mother.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I enjoyed that :D Reminds me about me as a kid :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Great post! Reminds me of my childhood with my neighbour Danny. Frogs, squirrels,and latter partridge and rabbits sure took a beating in our area of operations. I still hunt deer by walking REAL SLOW through known good areas or should be good areas. I'm usually pretty lucky that way.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

That was a FUN read! Thanks!

Reminds me of my own childhood except I never had a BB gun, I was started on a Montgomery Wards 22 single shot with a peep. I also didn't have a huntin' partner, it was me alone. I had full run of a valley a couple miles wide and 15 miles long. A river, ponds, overgrown orchards, everything a boy could dream of. Game feared me!

Now, 40 years later I live about 10 miles over a mountain range from where I grew up. My old stompin' grounds have been taken over by city folks. Where I live now I have an even better area for an outdoorsman than where I grew up and I relive my childhood days every day by making the game fear me here!

Thanks for bringing up my childhood memories where a great day could be tracking a deer for 5 miles in the snow just to do it!

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Being born and raised on a ranch my brother and I were always shooting and hunting small game as kids with 22's as we got older were started on predators and then deer with 22's means you get close and it teaches patience sitting and waiting for the game to get in range or sneaking up on them, at about 12 we graduated to saddle guns for deer hunting. We still hunt together on occasion but I miss those days together hunting a crick bottom or sitting in a haystack waiting for a pheasant, coyote or even a deer. I still hunt with a saddle gun and get close most of my elk and deer are shot under 100 yds usually 50 or less, If my eyes get bad I might need glass to see my target hope not. danny
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Hobie wrote:Great post! :!:

yup.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Very nice read!! Being a city boy, like Joe, I neve had that kind of experience, but yearned for it and lived it vicariously through the books in the local library. Maybe when I retire, I can learn to be a kid again and enjoyed the simple pleasures as described.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Spent most of my growing up in the woods hunting and fishing that is the best place for a boy to grow up. I would hate to think of having to grow up in a town or big city.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Thanks for the replies. Except for my kids I'd give everything I own to go back and re-live those years for the rest of my life. It's only after reading your responses that I'll tell this next part...up until now the only people I've ever told this is my Dad and my Aunt, Frank's mother.

Shortly after Frank's death, he was killed on the 4th of July so I celebrate his life on that day as well as our country's birth, his Mom called me to come help her sort thru and distribute some of his hunting gear amongst his friends. I got to keep anything I wanted and handed out the rest. I kept his black stetson, an old, cloth, blaze-orange vest and a set of unmounted antlers from a deer he had killed that I intended to use as a rattling set and my son kept an old G.I. pistol belt with a fanny pack and canteen so he could have something of his "uncle" Franks. I passed out everything else to his other buddies that I knew would appreciate it.

That same year I went back to the same area that our Uncles had taken us for our first deer hunt, actually just a couple of miles away. We had planned to go back there for years, but just had never been able to both get away at the same time for any length of time. It was really dry that year and the fella at the little mom and pop grocery were we turned off the hiway told me that the deer were scarce that year and they seemed to be staying in the deep woods. We were late setting up camp and I spent the whole of opening day walking about 8 miles of logging roads just looking for sign of them crossing with startlingly little luck. I finally found a place where tracks crossed the road three times in about a quarter of a mile that I could walk into about 1/2 mile from a wide spot to park my truck in.

Sunday morning I left camp about 5am, got to my spot and settled in for day break, wearing that vest and toting the antlers. I had never tried to rattle deer in before, but had listened to Frank talk about it on numerous occassions and thought I had a pretty good idea of how to at least give it a try. Just as it was getting light enough to see I was struck with a very strong feeling that I needed to move. I tried to ignore it, I had a good location over looking two trails, but it just wouldn't stop. So I finally got up and sneaked back up to the road and headed east. About 200 yds from where I went in I just somehow knew that this was the place. Don't know why, there wasn't a track in sight. So I went in about 150 yds and found a likely looking place, not as good as my other one, and sat down.

I started rattling the antlers and thrashing a bush and whacking the ground and rocks around me like a mad man, then I stopped and listened for about 10 minutes like Frank had said...nothing. Same routine again...nothing. I repeated it for the third time, laid down my antler and picked up my rifle. In about 2 minutes I heard something coming thru the woods to my right and that was a problem. In the postition I was in, my back was against a tree, to avoid moving too much I'd have to shoot from my left shoulder to cover that area. So I eased my gun around and got ready. Sure enough, down the trail came a little 6pt buck with his head up at about 60 yds. I eased the safety off the rifle and slowly brought it up to my shoulder. Finding his neck in the scope I started increasing the pressure on the trigger when something shouted WAIT in my head so loud I thought the deer would hear it. I shifted my vision to the left and there about 100yds away was one of the biggest deer I had ever seen in SE Oklahoma, but I was postitioned wrong to shoot at it. At about 80yds he walked behind a large cedar tree and I slowly shifted my rifle to my right shoulder, scared to death the other deer would see me and spook. He didn't, he was about 40yds from me when I shot the 10pt in the neck dropping him in his tracks. The smaller deer just stood there until I cycled another round into my gun in case his bud got up and then he just turned and walked off, not ran like I expected.

As I walked to the downed deer I had the overwhelming feeling that someone was right behind me to the point I looked back several times. There was no one there, in fact I don't think there was another human within a couple of mile of me. Then I realized who it was and in my mind and heart I could feel Frank standing there with me and could see him grinning like he always did. From the time I got there until the deer was down wasn't an hour and a half.

I sat down by the deer and kinda choked up for a minute and then just relaxed and enjoyed the quiet. After a long time I dragged him up the hill and went and got the truck. When I weighed him in the scales said 127 pounds field dressed and I like to have fell out. I used to weigh in deer at my local PD and had gotten to where I could guess within 10 pounds on every one. I KNEW he weighed more than that, besides the fact I had loaded him by myself. I found out later that station's scales were broken so I don't know exactly how much he weighed. But I put 132 lbs of wrapped meat in my freezer so I'm guessing about 180lbs field dressed, the biggest deer I've ever killed. And Frank brought him to me as a gift. For our last hunt together.

Here's the deer and the hat.

Good bunch of people here, the best. Thanks again.

Rob
Last edited by firefuzz on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

Rob, I am glad you shared those two very personal stories. They were touching and you have a way of writing that made me feel connected to the story. Thanks for taking the time to compose them.

Sean
Last edited by Iron_Marshal on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Thanks mate.
Two excellent stories.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I ain't ashamed to say that little tale got me a little misty with fond memories of my own youth.

The toys I have now ain't bad, but I sure did have a lot more time to play way back when.

Thanks!

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

If our leaders don't make some drastic changes in their leadership, you're gonna need to start training people on how to hunt bullfrogs. Too bad our country has moved away from such useful and enjoyable skills. Thanks for sharing and giving us a great picture of your memories.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Rob, you made a great post even better with the second part.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

When we have experiences like the one you described in the second part, it is reassuring to know that in spite of how much out of control the world seems to be, there is a higher power that will bring order and peace to all of us. Thanks for sharing.