Roofing lead roll

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Roofing lead roll

Post by Palmtreee »

I have a 40lb roll of roofing lead that a friend in contruction gave me, Is it okay to melt for bullets? Anyone ever use it?
Thank for the help.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Roofing lead roll

Post by KCSO »

That is almost pure lead and wil be great for muzzleloader balls as is. If you want to use it for a ctg gun you will want to add tin and wheel weighs. The Lyman cast bullet hand book has several formulas for alloys but if you melt up a batch in a 10 pound pot you would want about 6 pounds of lead, 3 1/2 pounds of wheel weights and 1/2 of tin for a soft castable alloy. For a harder aloy for revlover slugs go with more wheel weights than pure lead. I save all my pure lead for M/l balls.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Very nice clean lead.
My Son-in-Law and I cast close to 1000 .451 lead balls, Sunday afternoon with Roofing lead.
I traded for 20# of the stuff. We usually use stick-on wheel weights which are also pure lead.
This is a good time here in Arizona for Casting & Smelting of boolets & balls. Temperature was 50-55 degrees and sunny. We have close to a ton of WW's to Smelt in ingots of one pound each this Winter. He works for a Chevy store and gets the WW's from the Tire Dept. Guy. Kinda helps since he is the Service Manager. :wink:

Xray room lead also is nice pure clean lead. I got some several years ago when a local Hospital was re-modeling the Xray Dept. The walls are lined with lead sheets under the dry-wall.

If you are going to make hard cast bullets, trade it pound for pound to a Cap & Ball shooter, they need and use pure lead.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep if You know someone in construction it pays to buy Them a Beer now and then. An extended Family member was working on a crew at a local hospital. called Me up to come get some lead from an x-ray room tearout. I now have 470lb of lead waiting for some attention. :o . It should Keep Me busy.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Lefty Dude wrote:...If you are going to make hard cast bullets, trade it pound for pound to a Cap & Ball shooter, they need and use pure lead.
+1000!!!! :shock:

Please Please Please don't blend/alloy it. Pure Lead is far harder to get than Wheel Weights (for now). Find a Muzzleloading Club and start asking for offers .
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!