OT: Suggestions for a father and son hunt.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: Suggestions for a father and son hunt.

Post by bigbore442001 »

My Dad and I went out yesterday with the muzzleloader for a short time as well as to do some errands that needed to be done. We had a short discussion on the need to go on a special hunt for the two of us. I know that this February we're headed to Florida for some feral hog hunting but for the fall of 2010 we would like to do something different.

My Dad will be 72 and isn't the man he used to be when he was my age.He had some surgeries and that took a lot of life out of him. At my age he could walk 20 miles but no longer. We discussed and hashed out some ideas. We did agree that a guided deer hunt would not be on the table. We figure that we can hunt deer locally in Massachusetts and Connecticut so why bother with spending a lot of money on an out of state guided hunt? We have some friends that have spent a lot of money in the past few years hunting Virginia and North Carolina. So far they are lighter in the wallet and the freezer( in other words they got nothing) So far we have come up with a couple.

1. A Maine black bear hunt over bait. We did this several years ago but it would be a nice relaxing hunt. It would not be too difficult to do. Again I am thinking of a measure of success for my Dad. In addition, our licenses would allow us to hunt deer somewhere along the coast of Maine later in the season.

2. I mentioned a Winter Caribou hunt in northern Quebec or Labrador. They start as early as November 15th so the weather isn't too brutal. I am concerned that he takes the blood thinner Coumadin, thus he is more susceptible to cold. He did not go out much for the muzzleloader season this year in Massachusetts. For those of us outside of New England we had some windchills near zero or below for the first week.

3. I did mention something about hunting antelope in South Dakota but that would involve a lot of walking. I have been to the west a number of times in the summer and you need to be in very good shape.

Any replies will be welcomed. Thank you.
Don McDowell

Re: OT: Suggestions for a father and son hunt.

Post by Don McDowell »

If you're careful about the area you get a permit in and avoid the opening day, a Wyoming antelope combined with a deer hunt can be done for fairly cheap. Nonresidents can get doe/fawn antelope tags for not alot of money (under 50 apiece) and can be bought just prior to leaving for the hunt so no long range plans have to be confirmed months ahead. Also many of the nonresident deer regions in the eastern side of of the state have left over nonresident general license quoata's and some doe/fawn or whitetail only permits that can be bought just prior to leaving or even over the counter when you arrive.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

I have hunted caribou in Quebec on Labor Day ( 1st week in Sept.). Migration had started and 14 guys in camp shot 28 bulls. Most were in velvet, but they make a nice mount. A little ice on the water bucket in the morning but nice weather. One of the guides was in his 70s and catered to the older hunters. Real easy hunt.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Some good suggestions. I was thinking about Joe's exotic hunts. Depending upon the game it probably wouldn't be too hard and it would be warm, depending upon season.
Old Law Dawg
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

kimwcook wrote:Some good suggestions. I was thinking about Joe's exotic hunts. Depending upon the game it probably wouldn't be too hard and it would be warm, depending upon season.
+1 there would be for sure a truck available to lessen the walking.

Can you take gater with a crossbow in Florida??

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Sounds like time for a beaver hunt, LOL. Failing that, I think a gator hunt would be a hoot! You're hunting from a boat, and you can fish or whatever while you're there. Dangerous game makes for better stories and memories, and it'd be relatively low impact.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've got 'gator and hog hunting near Okeechobee, FL. $1050 for a 8-9ft gator with rifle or anything else guaranteed. Hogs $150 more for meat hogs or $350 separate (guaranteed).

I have a ME bear camp that I run for 3 weeks starting the 3rd Monday in August. 3 day hunts are $675 and 6 day are $1250. The 3 day hunt 5 year average success is 70%. The 6 day hunt 5 year average success is 95%.

We hunt exotics year round. You can start with a Texas Dall, Black Hawaiian, Corsican, Barbadoe or hybrid Mouflon Ram or a feral goat for $350. Deer species like axis, fallow, sika non-trophy runs $1000. Bison, Water Buffalo, Watusi start at $1200.

I have a caribou hunt too!

Let me know what you need!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I am going to talk with him about the bear hunt. I will be honest, he would not care for an exotic hunt. It isn't his cup of tea so to speak.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

BigBore....If you guys want to chase caribou, try Alaska in August. Up towards the Yukon border northeast of Tok near the town of Chicken is pretty good. Nice flat terrain, moderate weather, and plentiful game. You'll have to deal with a lot of hunters, though. It's a popular area to hunt for folks from Anchorage.

I go about every 2 or 3 years with my wife's uncle. We pull his trailer up from Palmer and scout a few days before the season then hunt until we fill our tags. We also bring a pair of ATV's so we can get away from the crowds.

I'm sure you could find some guides that hunt that season and area.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

For me, my dad having already passed, I think a bison hunt would be the thing. It might be tough finding a combination of conditions suitable though.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Hobie wrote:I think a bison hunt would be the thing. It might be tough finding a combination of conditions suitable though.
+1 on Hobie's idea. What about a ranch, meat bull hunt in the Sand Hills of Nebraska or Texas. Relatively flat terrain and the ranch owner may be able to accomodate a vehicle for your dad.

Just thinkin' out loud....Good luck, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Goose hunting on the Texas coast with your Dad is fantastic - last time we were there they had kajillions of birds!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Spring will be here before you know it....
Take him on a turkey hunt!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS