rusty old Marlin 336TS... value?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

rusty old Marlin 336TS... value?

Post by MacEntyre »

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what a Marlin 336TS 30-30 with rust spots on the receiver, poor finish on wood (small dings & scratches), but smooth action and a good bore, would be worth?

Completed auctions of 336 Texans in good shape on GB have gone for $325 to $425. I suppose with this one, it's certainly worth $150, and possibly $200, eh? I am tempted to buy this straight stock, 18.5" six shot Marlin.

What is the serial number range for the TS? I understand they were made from 1984 to 1987. This one is SN 1500360X

Thanks!

- MacEntyre

P.S. Pics posted below
Last edited by MacEntyre on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'd say your about right on the price. That one was made in 1985.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'd offer $150, be willing to go $225 provided it is as I envision it based on your description.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I love beat up guns......get 'em cheap and clean 'em up and have a good shooter/truck gun :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

The front sight is slightly bent to the left, probably from the impact that removed the hood. The microgroove bore shined up very well, but still has a few rust spots about three inches from the chamber. I loaded six rounds, and they all fed without a hiccup. The wood looks a lot better now that it has a little Steinway polish on it.

Anyone know what model Williams peep sight will fit this little trapper?

Thanks, folks!

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I kid thee not...that's a wonderful little shooter you have. If you decide it's too much hassle, let me know and I'll be glad to take it off your hands :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

That doesnt look to bad at all, should clean up nicely.
joakleigh
Levergunner

Post by joakleigh »

BlaineG wrote:I love beat up guns......get 'em cheap and clean 'em up and have a good shooter/truck gun :wink:
So true, i get more joy out of bringin a cosmetically challenged gun back to life than i do buyin a brand new one.
Joshua

My 2 cents nothing more nothing less
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Either the Williams 5D-94/36 ($35) or FP-94/36 ($59) - If you go with the FoolProof, be sure it's the side mount, and not the newer top mount peep.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That's a $150 gun for certain! Dang!

But, it will make a good truck gun with a FP-94/36 and a Ludwig replacement safety... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

I once purchased a Blackhawk that looked a lot like that on the outside. With a little work I got it cleaned up and the surface pretty well smoothed out without taking an excess of the blueing off. It actually ended up looking like the blueing was somehow worn off in most of those rust spot places.

I took it to the range to find out how it would shoot. A friend was at the range and fell in love with the looks of the gun. He said, "That gun looks like its been around. That gun has character."
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Well, what do you know... I went to a small gun show in Biscoe this morning, and traded a pistol for a very clean, 1970s Marlin 336 with a straight stock. It's not a 336 Texan, but it is the model that preceded it, with the same specs: straight stock and 20" microgrooved barrel. It's missing the front sight hood, which I don't need. (That must happen to a lot of 'em.) On the way home, I stopped at the Flintlock Rifle Range in UWharrie and ran a box of shells through it. Works well! I'll post pics later.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

When it rains it pours! Congratulations!
Sincerely,

Hobie

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Here it is!

SN 230783XX (In case someone can tell me when it was made...)

Does anyone know if it has the holes needed for a side mounted Williams receiver sight?