Enough of the Cold! I Want to Shoot My Leverguns!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Enough of the Cold! I Want to Shoot My Leverguns!

Post by COSteve »

Its been really cold (highs under 20°) for well over a week and I need some warmer weather to go shooting! This weekend its forecast to be in the mid 40s so I'll finally get to go shooting again!

Its not that the cold has been that bad, but we have a 2½ mile dirt road to our range that's too dangerous to use when its frozen so I haven't been able to go.

I know lots of you in colder climates think its not been bad here but we're use to 20° one day and 60° the next so this is getting a little old for us.

Rant over.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Enough of the Cold! I Want to Shoot My Leverguns!

Post by Modoc ED »

A 4x4 might cure the road problem.
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

4x4 don't help much on ice unless you're running cleated chains and those are a pain in the sit down part.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Thats the part I dont like about winter. I mostly miss rideing our quad on the mountain trails. Winter is just too long. Then again I dont miss mowing. We live at cedar city utah. 6000 ft. The mountains run over 10,000 ft behind us so there is a lot of winter.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well Steve, I'd say move to Texas but its pretty dang chilly here right now too :?

Though, you'd probably think its springtime :lol:

44 Degrees. :P
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Modoc ED wrote:A 4x4 might cure the road problem.
I'm a Coloradan, I've got 4 different 4x4s. They close the road when the weather is really bad because they don't want to have to pull anyone out of the gully about 30ft below it.

BTW, we have a saying that what a 4x4 really does for you is it gets you back in the woods a lot farther before you get stuck! :mrgreen:
O.S.O.K. wrote:Well Steve, I'd say move to Texas but its pretty dang chilly here right now too :?

Though, you'd probably think its springtime :lol:

44 Degrees. :P
Springtime . . . that's a darn heat wave!!
Steve
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I can relate. Just got 4 pistols back from tuning with "happytrails" and I can't stand it that I can't shoot them. It got warm enough today but the problem is that in WY the wind speed meets or exceeds the temperature. The wind is howling so much I'd be lucky to hit a 55gal drum at 10 feet.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Deer Hunting Today (15 Degress with 40mph winds) "Not priceless"

I am ready for a warm up myself.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

COSteve wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:A 4x4 might cure the road problem.
I'm a Coloradan, I've got 4 different 4x4s. They close the road when the weather is really bad because they don't want to have to pull anyone out of the gully about 30ft below it.

BTW, we have a saying that what a 4x4 really does for you is it gets you back in the woods a lot farther before you get stuck! :mrgreen:
Ya got that right!!!! :) They (4x4s) can get ya in a lot of trouble real fast but at the same time can save yer hide too.

Too bad you don't live closer to me. You could come over and we could shoot your gun off my back porch.
ED
Yer never too old
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

It's been real close to 0 around here at night for about two weeks. Up to 20 during the day. There's generally always a breeze or more going. No snow, but don't stand around long or you might not get your feet moving. I've been wanting to get to the range myself, but would like to feel my trigger finger for more than a couple of minutes. I feel your pain.
Old Law Dawg
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Right about now, if I were cruel, I'd say something about our wonderful SoCal weather, and those who demean California. But I'm not that petty. Oh, went shooting last weekend in the desert. Oops that just slipped out. Mia culpa :P :P
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

jeepnik wrote:Right about now, if I were cruel, I'd say something about our wonderful SoCal weather, and those who demean California. But I'm not that petty. Oh, went shooting last weekend in the desert. Oops that just slipped out. Mia culpa :P :P
I lived in NoCal (Fremont) for 25 years but finely escaped in 1980.

I'll tell you what. I'll keep our small town mentality, clean crisp air, the winter's cold and snow, and my beautiful little valley at the base of the Rockies if you'll promise to keep your inane California gun laws, liberal idiots in Sacramento, crushing population, ungodly traffic, ridiculous home prices, la la land mindset, and anti business climate which turned California from the paradise I moved to in the early 50's into what it's become now.

Deal? :mrgreen:
Steve
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

I hear that, I have some XTP loads I want to try out, but the area I go shooting at is covered in snow and ice. Not fun weather to go shooting in.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

COSteve wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Right about now, if I were cruel, I'd say something about our wonderful SoCal weather, and those who demean California. But I'm not that petty. Oh, went shooting last weekend in the desert. Oops that just slipped out. Mia culpa :P :P

I'll tell you what. I'll keep our small town mentality, clean crisp air, the winter's cold and snow, and my beautiful little valley at the base of the Rockies if you'll promise to keep your inane California gun laws, liberal idiots in Sacramento, crushing population, ungodly traffic, ridiculous home prices, la la land mindset, and anti business climate which turned California from the paradise I moved to in the early 50's into what it's become now.

So now your thread is going to slip into a bash other guys in other states and bash other states thread huh. Typical.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ED
Yer never too old
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'd like to see a week of 30 below zero in the Copenhagen region during this big conference. 8) I'd like to see those Global Cooling Deniers get their buns froze off this week. Yesterday, I saw a Snowy Owl down in the snow-drifted flats by the river. You seldom see them this far south. The Old Timers used to say that when the Snowy Owls came south (i.e., southern Canada) for the winter, it was going to be a cold one. That should keep the Global Cooling Deniers busy 'adjusting' their data!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I feel your pain. Went to our Friday morning silhouette shoot yesterday, temps were down to around 58-60 or so, had to put on a sweat shirt. :shock: Warmed up nicely by around 10:00 AM though. :D :D :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm with ya JN. Jr. and I went shooting yesterday and that wind was brisk. It made that 55° feel like 47°.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

KirkD wrote:I'd like to see a week of 30 below zero in the Copenhagen region during this big conference. 8) I'd like to see those Global Cooling Deniers get their buns froze off this week. Yesterday, I saw a Snowy Owl down in the snow-drifted flats by the river. You seldom see them this far south. The Old Timers used to say that when the Snowy Owls came south (i.e., southern Canada) for the winter, it was going to be a cold one. That should keep the Global Cooling Deniers busy 'adjusting' their data!
Great. By the time I go up to Sudbury on the 23rd for a week off there likely will be polar bears prowling the streets. I've been dealing with cold and snow for several days now. Snow storm in PA a few days made for fun driving. Nothing like seeing jacknifed trucks to remind me that it could be me next. Ironically I was hauling a load of snowblowers. :)
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Dwayne, if you are ever passing near Elmira or Glen Allan, Ontario, swing by for a coffee to get some warmth back into your bones. I'm usually around 24-7.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

KirkD wrote:Dwayne, if you are ever passing near Elmira or Glen Allan, Ontario, swing by for a coffee to get some warmth back into your bones. I'm usually around 24-7.
I sometimes stop in Cambridge to meet an older brother living there. You ever get down there? I usually stay on the 401 to reach the 400, but if I see I'm going to hit the GTA at rush hour I'll sometimes take 24 through Guelph and Caledon and hop onto Hwy 9 over to Newmarket to hook up with the 400 then head north into the cottage country and the northern hinterland. :)

My wife's family wants me to move up there so I don't take their girl to Oklahoma. I won't have it simply because I hate cold and snow plus I'm too much of a redneck for even Sudbury. Plus, I have too many firearms. The Canadian government would think I'm invading. :)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Dwayne, that route you take is about the shortest but still a ways from where I live. Regarding rifles, the government has voted to abolish the gun registry, so if you ever move up north, you can bring in guns by the semi-load, as long as they belong to you, otherwise they'll make you pay tax on them. You can own all the handguns you want as well, but they got a lot more restrictions on those with regard to where you can carry them, etc. The cold, however, now that's a problem. As much as the government likes to think they are all-powerful, they haven't voted to make it warmer up here yet.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Yeah, cold and snow are four letter words. All of my family save myself and one brother still live in Canada. And that brother lives near Lake Placid, New York which sees plenty of cold and snow. :lol:
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Modoc ED wrote:
COSteve wrote:

So now your thread is going to slip into a bash other guys in other states and bash other states thread huh. Typical.
You're right, I transgressed and for that I apologize. I was so disappointed in how California grew in the 60s and 70s, by 1980 I had had enough. Still is a beautiful state with just about every type of country a person could want; I just think that the politicians screwed up a great thing.
Steve
hkfrost
Levergunner

Post by hkfrost »

I'm from New Jersey. Bad weather. Bad TAXES. and bad govmint. And REALLY bad gun laws. Surrounded by libtards. The worst of everything. I can't wait till retirement to move. Trying to figure out what is the best state to move to. Any suggestions?
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Mostly rain and cold rain here for awhile now. Gets warm then cold then warm again. As usual everyone is griping about something to do with weather . But the real mean one is the.... mosqueeters ...... And they are hot with the weather bouncing back and forth .
So, I have at least once got out the granddaughters last year Christmas gift , Red Ryder BB gun ,and shot some of the wife's flowers out back . Did very well too. Killed several &, brought home a couple Alovera stalks to use for cuts and burns, Works well too.,,,,,,,,,,,,,FUN !

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mutt,,,,,,,,,, :lol:
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

hkfrost wrote:I'm from New Jersey. Bad weather. Bad TAXES. and bad govmint. And REALLY bad gun laws. Surrounded by libtards. The worst of everything. I can't wait till retirement to move. Trying to figure out what is the best state to move to. Any suggestions?

Texas. No income tax, lots of space, warmer weather than NJ, even beaches. Don't come to Oklahoma! It's terrible here. Yup, go to Tejas!
hkfrost
Levergunner

Post by hkfrost »

Dwayne,

LOL. You don't want me to come to Oklahoma? I'm one of the good guys!

Hal
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

quote]So now your thread is going to slip into a bash other guys in other states and bash other states thread huh. Typical.[/quote]You're right, I transgressed and for that I apologize. I was so disappointed in how California grew in the 60s and 70s, by 1980 I had had enough. Still is a beautiful state with just about every type of country a person could want; I just think that the politicians screwed up a great thing.[/quote]

That the politicians have messed up this state is something I will agree with. But outside of L.A., S.D., S.F. & Sacramento, much of the state is populated by rational, thinking folks. They actually outnumber the liberal urbanites. The biggest problem is that, until they are so darned fed up with things, they don't tend to act. But once stirred, they are a very powerful political force.

The best recent example of that is the recent journey to the ban on gay marriage. It doesn't matter whether you agree with it or not, it shows how the system should work. The populace got the ban on the ballot and passed the proposition, the court overturned it as unconstitutional. So the same folks amended the constitution. Amending the constitution is a very big deal. It show what the normally "silent" majority is capable of.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

hkfrost wrote:I'm from New Jersey. Bad weather. Bad TAXES. and bad govmint. And REALLY bad gun laws. Surrounded by libtards. The worst of everything. I can't wait till retirement to move. Trying to figure out what is the best state to move to. Any suggestions?

Sure, just get a compass, set it for West, drive across the Commodore Barry bridge, (or Betsy Ross or Ben Franklin bridge) then stop. Pennsylvania has some of the best gun laws in the country, lots of room, plenty of good rednecks inbetween Philly & Pittsburg :D , and it only costs you $40 for a concealed carry permit--guaranteed if your not a felon---no classes required :D ------------------------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

COSteve wrote: Its not that the cold has been that bad, but we have a 2½ mile dirt road to our range that's too dangerous to use when its frozen so I haven't been able to go.
Steve,
I don't get it. You live in Colorado and have no place to shoot other than a range thats 2 and 1/2 miles in? :? --------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Front range Colorado is not that much different that the gobs of cities in the east. When I lived in Golden in the 60s and 70s, there was the Coors gun club just outside town and a great 300 yd range up by Broomfield, plus the ability to go just outside town, up deer creek canyon. All gone now and so am I. Been in WY for the past 30 years and never looked back.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Sixgun wrote:
COSteve wrote: Its not that the cold has been that bad, but we have a 2½ mile dirt road to our range that's too dangerous to use when its frozen so I haven't been able to go.
Steve,
I don't get it. You live in Colorado and have no place to shoot other than a range thats 2 and 1/2 miles in? :? --------------Sixgun
I must confess, I'm spoiled! My 'home' range is less than 10 minutes drive away. I have other shooting opportunities out in the eastern plains I can use and I know, I'm retired and have all the time in the world to use driving to the other ranges. My shooting spots west in the Rockies are currently covered under feet of snow.
Steve
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

hkfrost wrote:Dwayne,

LOL. You don't want me to come to Oklahoma? I'm one of the good guys!

Hal
I'm just trying to keep the population down. Actually the only counties that are growing in OK are those that contain Tulsa and Oklahoma City. The rest are barely holding their own or losing people. The reason I bought my place in my county is because it is depopulating. Since I'm not dependent on a local job it made sense to move there. Just me, the trees and the wildlife.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

COSteve wrote:
Sixgun wrote:
Steve,
I must confess, I'm spoiled! My 'home' range is less than 10 minutes drive away. I have other shooting opportunities out in the eastern plains I can use and I know, I'm retired and have all the time in the world to use driving to the other ranges. My shooting spots west in the Rockies are currently covered under feet of snow.
Dang Steve!!!!!! I'd say it's time to get yerself a snowmobile or perhaps a dog sled and dog team.
ED
Yer never too old