Bear in Soldotna

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Bear in Soldotna

Post by Hobie »

Buck Elliott brought this to my attention but had a problem getting the photos here so I'm going to go ahead and post it for him. I hope you don't mind Buck.

King season is over, and since I had a day off before silvers start, I thought I would go for a walk! This occurred at 11:16 am this morning (Sunday), just 2/10 of a mile from my house.

ON OUR ROAD while walking my dogs (ironically trying to get in shape for hunting season!) for the record, this is in a residential area-not back in the woods . . . No bow hunting . . . No stealth occurring . . . I heard a twig snap . . . And looked back . . . Full on charge-a huge brownie, ears back, head low and motorin' full speed! Came with zero warning; no Woof, no popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what you think or see on TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in about one-second! Totally surreal . . . I just started shooting in the general direction . . . And praise God that my second shot (or was it my third?) rolled him at 5 feet and he skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I was shooting from . . . I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on the last shot . . . And his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired my first shot!

It was a prehistoric old boar .. . . No teeth . . . No fat . . . Weighed between 900-1000 Lbs and took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear . . . Its Paw measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!

Never-ever-thought 'it' would happen to me! It's always some other smuck . . . Right?

Well, no bull .. . . I am still high on adrenaline . . . With my gut in a Knot (felt like I did 10000 crunches without stopping)! Almost puked for an hour after . . . Had the burps and couldn't even stand up as the troopers conducted their investigation! Totally wiped me out . . . can't even put that feeling into words . . . By far the most emotion I have ever felt at once!

No doubt that God was with me, as I brought my Ruger .454 Casull (and some "hot" 350 grain solids) just for the heck of it . . . And managed to draw and snap shoot (pointed, never even aimed!) from the hip! Total luck shot!

All I can say is Praise God for my safety and for choosing to leave the wife and kids at home on this walk!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bear in Soldotna

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Whoa...tooooo close...

Just this past sunday, I was walking through a swamp, in a wildlife management area
here in central florida....and walked right by the entrance to a bear den...
Its a good thing nobody was home! the 38-55 was cocked and ready to go...
all the way back to the main trail!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I was amazed when I first read that. I've been in Soldotna. That's where my brother and sister in law lived, she still does. He's lucky he decided to wear his revolver. I believe this happened earlier this year. He probably was wearing it for the moose. There's a ton of them there. Either one of them can kill you deader than a rock.
Old Law Dawg
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

GREAT!! POST!!!!

I love it when a plan comes together. "Residential", country, or city,.. carrying a big bore side arm ,imo, is the only way to fly. When it comes to choice of caliber, I like to go by the old saying, "too much, is not enough" 8) Thanks for sharing! I got a rush just reading this! I have a sneaky feeling that Ruger is not going to leave your side , for quit some time to come!! 8)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Buck wrote that he was having a problem with the photos and so did I! I had a bear of a time taking them from the e-mail to post here. Hope you enjoy!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow,without the Ruger He's lunch. teeth or no teeth. Elmer Keith said it best "when You "NEED" a Gun You "NEED" it Badly. that bear would have been a real nightmare.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Glad he's OK and unharmed!

Looks like he did that bear a favor though.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

454 350gr hot loads....
Notice how he never mentioned about the recoil.
Had a little bit of adrenaline going on there methinks.
Had a racoon charge me once.....
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

WOW! Thanks for posting Hobie.
"That'll Be The Day"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Hobie wrote:Buck wrote that he was having a problem with the photos and so did I! I had a bear of a time taking them from the e-mail to post here. Hope you enjoy!
:lol: :lol:
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

rangerider7 wrote:WOW! Thanks for posting Hobie.
Thank Buck for this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Huge bear. Just think how much he'd weigh in normal flesh. Takes a fairly thin bear to show ribs like that.
He'd of been in a world of hurt with less gun or no gun. Whew!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

How interesting that a little piece of lead is the only difference between this member showing pics of a big bear,.... and being a statistic, with his pics being published!

8)
Buckeye
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Buckeye »

Good thing he didn't beleive in arming himself with " PEPPER SPRAY "

The bear ,since he was toothless, would have preferred 'MEAT TENDERIZER' :o
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

76/444 wrote:How interesting that a little piece of lead is the only difference between this member showing pics of a big bear,.... and being a statistic, with his pics being published!

8)
Better to be seen than viewed...

That "little piece of lead" was only PART of the equation. The guy's presence of mind and quick reactions get at least as much credit for ending the experience correctly.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Thanks again Hobie, for going to such lengths to get this posted.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Buck Elliott wrote:Thanks again Hobie, for going to such lengths to get this posted.
It was too cool to let it sit in an e-mail folder!
Sincerely,

Hobie

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I reckon that 'ol boy would do to have with you in a shoot out with four legged or two legged varmits.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

COSteve wrote:
Hobie wrote:Buck wrote that he was having a problem with the photos and so did I! I had a bear of a time taking them from the e-mail to post here. Hope you enjoy!
:lol: :lol:

yup, that hobie, he's a real card. :D

some day he'll be dealt with. :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Bronx
Levergunner

Post by Bronx »

Wow! Thank goodness that twig snapped!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Buck,

Fantastic kill and great story :o .The Lord was looking down on you :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

WOW, that is amazing, I get the shakes just thinking about it...

so, where is Soldotna, anyway?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

UncleBuck wrote:Buck,

Fantastic kill and great story :o .The Lord was looking down on you :D
Not me or my story, Just one that a good friend sent me. Thanks to Hobie, it got posted here...
Regards

Buck

Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

ElChivo...Soldotna is down on the Kenia. Big bear contry. Salmon fed coastal brownies with bad breath. The vegetation is THICK as thick can be. Wet and quite also. I am surprised that a stick actually snapped. You almost need napalm to get a campfire started.

I have family down there and try to make it down for a visit when the Coho's are in. I am always leary of the brush lines even in the back yard.

It is always a treat to be standing on the beach, covered in fish slime, standing over a pile of fresh caught salmon and look up to see BrerBear sauntering in your direction.

"Most" of the time, the bears are well fed enough to not bother you unless you try to maintain posession of your winter salmon.

scotty

Just part of the joys of living in AK.
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

OMG??????????????? :o
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Dang Buck....How long afterwards did you run over to the local Fred Meyer and get a change of shorts?
Glad that it ended up the way it did. Look forward to the pics.

And that, folks, is why we were packing .44s with Cor-Bon loads while walking to dinner in "downtown" Tok last summer.

:shock: :shock:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Well,????? This should put to an end all the fighting on issues of what size handgun you should carry where there is even a remote chance of something like this.
How about a .38 or .357 on that day????????????? wanna risk it ? Not me!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

madman4570 wrote:Well,????? This should put to an end all the fighting on issues of what size handgun you should carry where there is even a remote chance of something like this.
How about a .38 or .357 on that day????????????? wanna risk it ? Not me!
Not me. That's why I pack a FA in 454 in big teeth/claw country.
Old Law Dawg
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Stew...it was a short walk though. Not much of a suburb in Tok :lol:
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

All I can say is Praise God for my safety and for choosing to leave the wife and kids at home on this walk!
AMEN!!!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bronx wrote:Wow! Thank goodness that twig snapped!

Was thinkin' the same thing.

Great story! Thanks for putting that up Guys!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"