45 Colt loads vs recoil from lever guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

45 Colt loads vs recoil from lever guns

Post by J Miller »

There are several threads running where posters have mentioned they find shooting the Rossi 92s with full 454 Casull loads like going 10 rounds with a young Cassius Clay. The only experience I have with the 454 Casull is from a S&W 460V, so I really have no idea how it feels from a light lever gun.

In your experience what is the best load type (bullet weight vs velocity) for the 45 Colt for use in rifles that has good long range, 100+ yards, ballistics with tolerable recoil? I realize recoil is different for everybody, but I'm curious as you have to be able to practice if you want to hit your target consistently.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Re: 45 Colt loads vs recoil from lever guns

Post by Hobie »

I load 23 gr. H110 under the 300 XTP-Mag in my .45 Colt Rossi carbine. This gives slightly better ballistics than the .45-90 BP load in a light gun. I don't think it hurts to shoot. I think (IIRC here!) 45Stomp used 25 gr. under a cast 325 gr. bullet in his .45 Colt Winchester.

I have a .45-70 barrel for my Contender (24") that brings that gun's weight to about 5½-6lbs loaded. 300 gr. FACTORY ammo goes 1800+ fps from that gun. At first the recoil bothered me a bit as the gun went to vertical in a nano-second, or so it seemed. After 20 rounds or so I was enjoying a pleasant plinking session. It was a lot of fun to bust cow paddies out to 100-150 yards with that gun and load.

I think recoil is so subjective that most comparisons are a moot point. Stock design can really change that perceived recoil.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

I also use 23gr/H-110 with 300-320gr bullets out of both my Rossi's and my trapper.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The CowboyTutt super loads use 18.5 gr of 110 under a 360 gr Keith type for a bit over 1350 fps. Not bad in the 20" 92 Rossi. Shot 1 1/8" for three shots at 50 yds. Recoil not bad.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:The CowboyTutt super loads use 18.5 gr of 110 under a 360 gr Keith type for a bit over 1350 fps. Not bad in the 20" 92 Rossi. Shot 1 1/8" for three shots at 50 yds. Recoil not bad.
That's an interesting play on numbers. The original Keith load used 18.5 gr of 2400 under a 260 gr Keith type for around 1200 fps.

Who makes and sells the 360gr Keith bullets?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like the 300 gr's at 1600-1700 fps for 100 yd shooting.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

86er wrote:I like the 300 gr's at 1600-1700 fps for 100 yd shooting.
Joe, which 300 gr bullet do you prefer?

Joe
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Joe - you will have to get that info from Tutt. It is a special order.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I really like the Sierra 300JSP over 18gr of 2400. this closely duplicates the Cor-Bon 300gr +P ammo. Out of my 94 trapper it shoots great out to 150 yards and hits like a sledge hammer. Recoil out of such a light gun is brisk but tolerable.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And at the other end of the spectrum, I like my 160grain Big-Lube™ boolits over a full case of Goex "Cartridge!" Reaches out to 100 yards and beyond! Don't even feel recoil with either the 1873 or 1860; you could probably not damage an egg held betweem the buttstock and shoulder! :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The 300-gr. Speer Unicor (PSP) over 23 gr. H-110, or a 325-Gr. CPB GC over the same charge, will give you about all the fun you can have with the .45 Colt case. I shoot those in a Vaquero, and in a Winchester/Miroku '92. No problems with either gun -- just make sure you have a good hold on your pistol...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Buck,

That 23 grs H110 under the 300-325gr bullets seems to be a very popular load.

I'll add it to the future "give it a try" list.

Joe
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Joe, that charge with the 325 gr slug "ran" under the sod in my back fourty 42" when I was shooting a varmit one day from my rifle. Just don't forget ear protection when shooting it from a revolver.... :o :o :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

.45colt wrote:Joe, that charge with the 325 gr slug "ran" under the sod in my back fourty 42" when I was shooting a varmit one day from my rifle. Just don't forget ear protection when shooting it from a revolver.... :o :o :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
42" under the sod?! Wow, that's digging ditches ain't it?
I always wear ear protection when I shoot ..... well, except the last time when I forgot it in the indoor range and touched off a full house .357 from my short barreled Ruger BH. :o h ...... my ....... g :o sh ..... that was LOUD!!!!

In reality I'm thinking of these loads specifically as a rifle load. It's doubtful I'd shoot them from my OM BH. Maybe a couple but that's about all.

Joe