guns in your collection for your kids...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

guns in your collection for your kids...

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm 48 and my kids run in age from 16 at the youngest to 22 and getting married on the top side. Three kids.

In my collection, I have guns that I keep for them - especially the two younger ones that are boys. But I also want to give my daughter and soon-to-be SIL some in the future - to kind of catch my daughter up.

So, I have guns that I've either already given to them along with some that I've "designated" as future gifts.

My stipulation with these gifts is that they must never be sold and can only be handed down to family members. :)

Each kid will have a decent collection after I am done. Kind of a little specialized inheritance.

Anybody else do this? I'm just curious.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: guns in your collection for your kids...

Post by mescalero1 »

O.S.A.K.,
No kids, but it is a subject I have thought much about.
No solution yet.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero1 wrote:O.S.A.K.,
No kids, but it is a subject I have thought much about.
No solution yet.
What mescalero said.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

also no kids :cry: , and my nephew is currently 6 yo, so i havent made plans for this yet (although i do have a Henry .22 waiting in the wings for him when his parents feel he is of age)

I had thought of leaving everything to him in my will with the stipulation that a few pieces not be sold and specifying those (basically the Colts and leverguns -- if he needs to sell an AR for beer money , i sincerely doubt i'll care at that point)
----- Doug
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

plan on giving them 2 guns each since that is how many kids each one of them have with the same stipulation of not selling and not giving them to said grand kid till they get late 30's or 40's. Since none of them have the same fascination with guns that I do I figure that one will be enough per grand kid,will probably just sell off the rest at some point. That's 10 guns total and the hard part is deciding which gun to pass to which kid,since some are granddaughters I may pass some 22's down but for the boy's I'm thinking that centerfire should be what I pass down. Maybe I should make it 1 center fire and 1 rim fire :idea:
One thing that the wife has been trying to get me to do is write up a history of each gun and what is special about it to me , and I plan on doing that but it will take some time. Guess that is what I'll do this winter on a couple days when it's snowing and blowing
I'm betting that this is a great and dear topic to a lot of you also because of the love of your kids and grand kids also , and being able to pass on a few fire arms ,history with us that is longer in some cases that others but still sentimental and your hope is that it will at some point mean a lot to your offspring otherwise you might as well just give them an old pair of welding gloves
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have certain guns designated for each of my boys possesion as they get older and others that they will one day inherit.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I bought an HK-300 back in the early 90's to give to my oldest son when he was old enough to shoot. It took me a while to find the HK-05 scope mount for it. The gun was new and unfired with its hang tag and sat in my safe for many years. A few years ago, when he turned 12, I gave it to him. A year later, I got him a Bushnell 4200 series 4-16x scope for it. He plows through a lot of 22 Magnum these days. And that stuff is not nearly as cheap as it used to be.

I need to be thinking about a rifle for my "less responsible" middle child. The wife won't let me take him shooting yet even though he's 13. He's pretty good with his friend's BB gun though ... having taken out several of the neighbors windows with it.

My oldest will likely get most of my guns when I pass including several that my father passed on to me. His Remington 511 being my most cherished.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've already given them several apiece, even if for the younger ones I still keep them in my safe and so on. My 'keep until I die' ones will probably be 'assigned' to some degree as to who gets them, but my wife and/or kids can do whatever.

When the 'arsenal' and registration laws pass, you may as well have each family member the official owners of a few guns, so that nobody is over whatever the limit is.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

With all the "stuff" as well as guns that I have, it is something I have talked to with my wife but not much with my two kids. I have six grand-kids, four boys and two girls ranging from 15 to 1 year. They will certainly get some special items but they need to show more interest if I'm going to leave them the bulk of my collection. They seldom ask about my new acquisitions. I don't force my interest on my kids I just open the door if they want to come in and ask questions that's great. If it means nothing to them then they will not appreciate it very much. I will have to think more about it later on, but right now I have told my wife who to call to auction my collection off after the kids have picked a few special items out. She will need the money as life insurance because as a teacher/coach I was not able to get much life insurance. I would love for any of my grand-kids to get into "Old West" history but we will see. If not most of it will go to younger collectors that enjoy it as much as I do, including the guns. Time will tell. :) It is a tough decision as of now.
"That'll Be The Day"
35 Remmy
Levergunner

Post by 35 Remmy »

I have 4 daughters..NO grandchildren. (I'm 68) I do have 2 nephews who do not hunt. My only option (now) is to gift to my first wifes nephews. They hunt and fish alot. Time will tell.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Neither wife or daughter has any interest in any of my guns. I'm sure they will be sold before my body cools.
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Wife has no interest, not even enough to listen when I tell her what one is worth. She would probably sell the safe and contents for a few hundred bucks if it weren't for the son and daughter having interest.
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

I have twin 18 Y/O daughters. The elder (by 3 minutes) has enlisted in the USMC, and has already auditioned and been accepted to the USMC Band. She is not really a hunter, but a darn good pistol shot. Due to her inevitable tour in the Middle east, I have "bequeathed" my Springfield Armory XD .45 ACP, with all the "military" accessories to her as soon as she deploys.....The younger is a hunter and I have purchased for her a lefty bolt gun and a lefty shotgun, both of which she is very adept with. The remainder of my collection has been discussed and placed in my will. They are never to be sold, and must remain in the family. Which is why I keep only what I consider the "finest" and "most collectible" firearms in my safe. They may or may not be worth anything to others, but to me they are priceless......
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

I am the third generation of doing just that! my Kids will make it the fourth

^
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

My daughter, who enjoys shooting, is going to be an "only" and will get all of them. Same stipulation as others: Never to be sold but must be passed down to the next generation.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Not at the moment, but I hope our future child takes up an interest in hunting and/or shooting. I'd love to hand down my dad's rifle and maybe a few of mine that I cherish. Keep 'em in the family. That said, I've already given my nephew grandpa's .22 bolt-action. An old Remington, IIRC. He loves it and says he'll never get rid of it.

:D :D
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

A couple of thoughts.

As a grandparent, when that happens :) I'm going to feel it is my right to steal the gk's away to take them shooting and hunting. I don't see any problem with this unless my sons marry some strange women but I think they'll do better than that! And I'm going to gift them with a .22 on thier 12th birthday if I can. As they come visit (they probably won't live in the same town sadly), I will "schedule" at least one range trip.

I've never known anybody that actually got to a range that didn't end up enjoying the day.

And for the girls - don't write them off! I suggest dragging them to the range - for the same reason as cited above. Tell them its a favor to you or whatever you need to say, but get them to the range and have them shoot some gentle guns that are fun to shoot. My daughter came around - you're girls may too.

I hate to hear that a gun collection will be sold off upon the expiration of the owner... :( That just makes me feel sad.

I think I'd find a young realative or other deserving soul and take them under my wing and make sure they get a few of them at least - but that's me. Not everybody is comfortable doing that kinda thing...

My Dad is to be credited with my wanting to do all this - he did spend time with me and my brothers shooting and hunting - though, not nearly as much as we would have liked... and later he gifted us some of the guns his Uncle gifted to him.

And I do remember wanting to go - but I also recall that this was "out of the blue" - he just told us we were going hunting - there really wasn't any "do you want to" :lol:

Its a good tradition and one that can be started from scratch if theres a will to. My Great Uncle Wally started our family's.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I would love to just that.
As of yet, no suitable young man or woman, has presented his or herself.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

No kids, so I have a list in my will of good friends who upon my death may come and take whatever they like from my "sporting goods collections" Anything left over they can come around a second time. If my wife needs the $20K they would bring I would have figured that out before I die and sold them for her, but figuring she will be A-Ok financially, they are to be given away.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mescalero1 wrote:I would love to just that.
I'll come by this weekend and present myself, if that's ok, Mr. Mescalero1,sir... :wink:

Seriously, there ARE serious enthusiasts who would actually appreciate 'inheriting' a collection, but it is difficult to find them. If a relative/dependent needed the money, I'd say sell the collection at auction, perhaps at least finding a 'buddy' who gets to pick 10% of the stuff for their own keeping, in exchange for shepherding the rest through an auction and being sure your next of kin isn't getting ripped off.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I have one child who is now 35. He gets them all and has now decided to suggest guns I should add to my collection/accumulation. :D I am considering selling them to him and adding the proceeds to my retirement account. :lol: :lol: So far he has not made me an offer. . . . . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Meeteetse wrote:I have one child who is now 35. He gets them all and has now decided to suggest guns I should add to my collection/accumulation. :D I am considering selling them to him and adding the proceeds to my retirement account. :lol: :lol: So far he has not made me an offer. . . . . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now this sounds more like my kids.... :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

AJMD429 wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:I would love to just that.
I'll come by this weekend and present myself, if that's ok, Mr. Mescalero1,sir... :wink:

Seriously, there ARE serious enthusiasts who would actually appreciate 'inheriting' a collection, but it is difficult to find them. If a relative/dependent needed the money, I'd say sell the collection at auction, perhaps at least finding a 'buddy' who gets to pick 10% of the stuff for their own keeping, in exchange for shepherding the rest through an auction and being sure your next of kin isn't getting ripped off.
A great idea. For those who aren't predelicted to wingage. ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I have two daughters only 2 guns specifically I have destined for them, who knows about the others....
I have two excellent condition Remington ZigZag Derringers from the early 1860's, I had 14 of them at one time when I was doing my research and they are my favorite. They are definitely not shooters but it will be something they can keep from the old man.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have only one original box ;)
My one daughter liked the pink 9mm (I think Taurus) but I'm not paying Gander $150 over normal cost for it otherwise I would have gotten it for her, their prices are high!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Both of mine have already received several:

Son-
Glock 17 with .22 conversion kit
AR15 with .22 conversion kit
Remington 870 12 ga
Ruger 10-22
S&W mod 19, the last gun I carried as a full time cop
Remington 700 '30-06

Daughter-
Glock 19 with .22 conversion kit
AR15 with .22 conversion kit
Remington 870 20 ga
Ruger 10-22
S&W mod 60, my last back-up gun
Remington model 7 .243

I've been buying them guns since they were born, I've always been afraid of them not being able to buy their own. When I'm gone they'll get to split up the rest with the boy getting everything with .45 and 12ga in the caliber and the girl getting the .357s and 20s, the other's they can toss a coin on. Hopefully those will have a lot more wear and tear before they get them. :wink: Same rule as posted above, they have to pass them on.

There's a provision in my will that if I outlive the kids, heaven forbid, and have no grandchildren that all my guns are to be donated to the Oklahoma Rifle Association to be auctioned and the money go into youth shooting programs. I need to change that so the SASS gets the cowboy guns to go to the same cause.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

duplicate post, sorry
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

What is wingage?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I have five children ranging from 10 to 31 years old, each has two designated guns that already have been allocated to be used or traded(even to me from one from my collection) by them. In addition, I have five guns that will be passed down, one to each, that they will have to keep and pass on to their off spring with the same intention(three are already third generation to me, one is fourth generation(1877), and one goes back to fifth generation (1848)). Hopefully they will add some of my favorites to the list of generation to generation, but that will be up to them. The same goes for my hunting land, my hopes are to make sure it stays in the family for generations, that is why it will go into trust when I retire so it will circumvent the state and federal inheritance laws and not become fodder for some nursing home when I sit in chair drooling.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My son really has no interest in firearms, but he wants my first rimfire, first centerfire, and the 44mag Henry Big Boy he won me at an NRA dinner. I guess he is a little sentimental.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, the boys have already "relieved" me of a few. But I can use them anytime I want. :D

Seriously, I have two pistols my dad brought back from Europe. The P08 goes to the eldest, the P38 to the younger. I, also have a couple of dad's long guns, and they can split those and anything I have up. My family doesn't sell guns when some one passes. They end up a younger persons possesion. Being the youngest male of my generation, I didn't make out so well. But, my older cousins still have the ones they inherited and will pass them along.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My goal is to make sure Y2K has at least one gun for every year of age by the time he moves out on his own. I'm ahead of schedule! :D I've given my daughter a .22 (the pink-stocked one I refinished), and will probably get her a couple others along the way, unless she shows more interest in them, then it will be more. Y2K will eventually get all of my collection. I figure my daughter is going to get my wife's jewelry some day, so they will be about even! :wink:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

mescalero1 wrote:What is wingage?
Its my made up word to mean the act of taking someone under your wing.... wingage. :P
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have though about this some, and at 52 with no grandkids yet, I think I will have to wait a while, to see how things come down. I make good money now, but retirement doesn't look so good, so depending on my health, how long I work, and my wife's heath, I may end up selling most of my guns, when I figure I am getting too old, poor heath, etc to enjoy many of them.

But if that doesn't become an issue, then I hope to leave certain ones to future grandkids, nephews, friends, etc, but only if I think they will appreciate them, use them, and remember me, in the process.

Noone knows how long they will live, or how long a spouse will live. All of this will have bearing on wheather guns might need to be turned into money or given as heirlooms, to be enjoyed by others in the family. And heaven forbid, future laws, politics, etc. might affect what is done with our guns in the future. What I don't intend to do is die, still owning a bunch of guns, for realitives to just fight over, or sell off for a fraction of their value, out of not knowing any better. Unfortunatly, one can only plan so much.
NRA Life Member, Patron