Another reason not to scope leverguns...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Another reason not to scope leverguns...

Post by El Chivo »

that darned Marlin hammer spur vibrates itself loose after 5-10 rounds, it's getting annoying. I've tried locktite and electrical tape in there, I'm hesitating on the JB Weld.

I want to say I have always thought theirs is a poor design, Winchester beat them there with the screw-in spur.

My poor allen wrench looks like a licorice twist by now (the darn screw takes the smallest and flimsiest size, now there's planning...)

Anybody have a foolproof method?

I'm considering drilling a shallow hole into the hammer so the set screw is nested in it, but, even that might not do it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another reason not to scope leverguns...

Post by TedH »

On the half dozen Marlins with hammer extensions I currently have, I've never had one come loose. Most of them fit tight enough that they wouldn't come off even without the set screw. Are you sure it's the right extension for your hammer? There are at least a couple different ones.
NRA Life Member
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I've never cared for hammer extensions, so when I scope a levergun I make sure the scope and mount choice allow use of the plain hammer.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

TedH wrote:On the half dozen Marlins with hammer extensions I currently have, I've never had one come loose. Most of them fit tight enough that they wouldn't come off even without the set screw. Are you sure it's the right extension for your hammer? There are at least a couple different ones.
I'm with Ted. You most likely have the wrong extension. But.............if you insist, just degrease the extension and the hammer, apply some good two part epoxy. A little bit of heat from a propane torch will release it when the time comes.---------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I put a single pellet of lead shot under the set screw of one hammer spur that caused me problems. Loc-tite alone wouldn't do it. That solved the problem!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

nemhed wrote:I put a single pellet of lead shot under the set screw of one hammer spur that caused me problems. Loc-tite alone wouldn't do it. That solved the problem!
+1 on that...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

You got something wrong if your allen wrench is twisted like a pretzel , it says that the fit is incorrect and you've tried to make up the difference by over tightening the allen screw.
Nemhed's answer will work very good if you have the wrong extension. However like Ted , I have many and zero have come off and when you remove one for any reason it is a very tight fit
Rather than trying to NAIL STUFF ON STUFF your right answer maybe to get the correct spur extension
all the best
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Pisgah wrote:I've never cared for hammer extensions, so when I scope a levergun I make sure the scope and mount choice allow use of the plain hammer.
I'm the opposite. I like the hammer spurs to the point where I like it on there even if I take the scope off.

+1 on the epoxy.

LK