OT-Woodstove cooking

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT-Woodstove cooking

Post by Jason_W »

We're in the midst of a bit of a wind storm here, and the power has been on and off all day. We put a beef roast in the electric slow cooker around 1 pm, and the power kicked off about half an hour later. We pulled the ceramic insert out of the slow cooker and placed it atop the wood stove, and it worked great. We're leaving it even though the power is back on. Why draw the extra power when the stove is going anyway?

It's good to know we could do basic things even during extended interruptions.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Woodstove cooking

Post by Pete44ru »

See that, Jas - Yer a survivor ! :)

Now, when ya going on the TV show ? ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Good on ya Jason.

My absolute favorite chunk-0-cookware in the wintertime is the 10qt dutch oven (cast iron of course)

I cook 80% of the meals my wife and I eat on that unit while I tend the homefires

With an assortment of trivets to help adjust temps in dutch oven I can manage to make most things without burning even though the stove runs a mite hot here in the arctic.

Enjoy the meal Jason and perhaps enjoy some quiet time if the power bloops again :)
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Thursday, I cooked a beef brisket in a Dutch Oven, with charcoal.

last Saturday, I cooked one of the prettiest and tastiest Old Fashioned Southern Pound Cakes I've ever cooked in a Dutch Oven.

FWIW, I first learned to cook on a wood-burning cookstove and want to get one to use now.

Truth is, i'd rather cook over an open fire or a wood burning stove than on an electric stove.

Good work turning the lemons of power outage into the lemonade of a tasty meal cooked over a wood fire.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The wife and I have talked about building a canning shed with a wood burning stove in it. I'm not sure I'd want one in the house here. it would get way too hot. When we built this house I did insist on having propane for the same reason though. We happen to be on the end of a power grid that constantly has power fluctuations.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Our house in Freedom Wy was built in the 20's by a government trapper. He was pretty ingenious I figured out later. The hot water heater was electric, the cookstove propane, the furnace was fuel oil, and there was a Franklin type wood stove in the basement. Basically everything had a backup. You could cook on either the wood stove or propane stove, heat came from either the furnace, wood stove or in a pinch the propane cookstove oven when needed. Hot water could be from the heater, or either stove. There were times that the wood stove did it all. We even had a backup in that the bathroom was supported by an outhouse.....and we used it a couple of different times when our well pump went out. Didn't take me long to figure out that old man was pretty sharp!

Backups are pretty cool when you figure out that you need them.

Ed