Put XS Sights on the Win 1886

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Put XS Sights on the Win 1886

Post by 86er »

This is my fourth and final sight configuration on this rifle. First I had the factory sights. Then I put a scout scope base on the barrel but covered my rear sight dovetail. Then I put a Lyman 66 in it with a fiber optic bead up front. I broke the Lyman, replace it and broke the second one. I then began using an XS low weaver back-up sight on my scout scope base with a shorty ramp holding a fiber optic bead up front. This arrangement actually worked pretty good, but there were two issues. First, the sight could not remain in place if I used the scope, and second the hole was kind of small since it was way out on the barrel. I was going to get a bolt mounted peep but it was $575 installed and did not have any lower of a profile than the XS. This is my first time using a post front sight. I've used peeps with globe fronts and bead fronts but never a post. The Enfield has a peep and sort of a little tiny post but it doesn't compare to the white stripe XS. I've always covered what I wanted to hit with the bead. That meant no more than 120 yds on deer sized animals because they'd disappear behind the bead. This is permanent for the most part so I'll learn to shoot with it and make it work. I think I like seeing a lot more of the target and just putting the tip of the post where I want the bullet to go. Plus, the rear sight actually does "disappear" when looking through it, living up to the name "Ghost Ring".

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ysabel Kid

Re: Put XS Sights on the Win 1886

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent Joe!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Please give us a range report when you can Joe. Looks like the right tool for the right job.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Gotta tell 'ya Joe...that is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen & IMHO the Skinners are apropo. Hope they work out for you. 8)

LB
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

That turned out really nice. Get it sighted in and lets go shoot something.
Ricky

DWWC
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looks good. I had a set of them on my Win 94 45 Colt. They were more accurate than I thought they would be out to 75-100 yards.
NRA Life Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I might put one of those on an 86 one of these days. Howin'ell do you get the tront sighjt off on those Mirokus? I've beaten one of my guns sill trying to get the sight out of that ramp. I want to replace the factory front sight with a Lyman No 4 Hunting sight.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by remshooter »

good quistion would also like to know how you got front site off, even tried a site pusher on my jap 86 it didnt work ether please........more info
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

How does the elevation and windage adjustments work on the rear sight Joe?

My Browning 86 rifle front sight wouldn't move when I wanted to change it. I just cut down thru it with a hacksaw until it would drive out.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Hi Joe, Looks very functional. I just put a set on a presafety 94 B.B. .356. I am waiting for the wind to die down a bit so I can chrono some handloads featuring Mt. Baldy 275gr FNGC and 230gr FNGC. Regards, 1886.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Malamute wrote:How does the elevation and windage adjustments work on the rear sight Joe?

My Browning 86 rifle front sight wouldn't move when I wanted to change it. I just cut down thru it with a hacksaw until it would drive out.

http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The rear sight screws up and down for elevation and slides right and left for windage. I got the front sight off by soaking in DW40 and heating it up with a torch. I then smacked a solid nylon rod with a 3.5 pound hammer and presto, sight's out.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Joe, that is really elegant in its simplicity. Beautiful.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I might need to tap my 94 Wrangler for the XS sight set up next year.