Record-keeping format for your firearms?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Record-keeping format for your firearms?

Post by LeverBar »

It is time again for me to organize a list and take photographs of my family's firearms.

Do you people have a tidy way of listing your guns with caliber, model, serial number, descriptions, ...?

Would you share a glimpse of your masterpiece?

If you have suggestions and ideas that would help with this process, please give me a heads-up.
Jay
Levergunner

Post by Jay »

I created an Excel workbook that tracks all my firearm data. The workbook has a master page that has all the firearms listed with ser #, mfg date, cost, value, model, etc. The right hand column will generate a value total at the bottom. By adding worksheets to the book, I also have a page for each firearm, with relevant data, and a photograph of the firearm. Here's a link to a sample page. The master and individual firearms tabs are at the lower left of the page. An infinite number of pages can be added. There are other programs out there, but this works for me, and it's free. If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. This link to the workbook resides on my FTP host. I am the only one that has edit access, so please don't be concerned about any type of malware.

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Gunstuffsample.xls

note...... I have used this file on Windows ME, Win 2000, Win XP, and Vista
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '66, - May 68

Some of my toys....
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have a simple MS Word chart (although an Excel Chart is better) that, in addition to serial number, model, etc. also gives the fair market value of each rifle and the date of the value. I print out a sheet and include it in the documents with my Will. That way, family members who have no idea what the gun is worth, will not be selling a vintage Winchester 1886 made in 1904 to the local shop for $250.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I use an Access DB but what I show could be done in Excel just as easily. Serial number, model number, chambering, narrative description for the ignorant, value, whether the gun is "registered" or a private purchase or gift, and disposition. Yep I list those I've moved on even if I don't have the serial. I finally recognized that my memory will not hold all those details for on-demand recall! :roll: I even have a field for a photo. Additionally, I'm writing up all my guns' histories for my heirs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excel spreadsheet, with multiple tabs. I have my collection cut six ways from Sunday. In order of obtainment, cost, action, caliber, where I got them, etc. Works great!!! :D

Being the obsessively-organized guy that I am, I also have a Word document for each individual firearm - a "profile" including a picture. Each profile also has a section on reloads for the gun, and a shooting log.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Oh, I think I'm just going to take photos and write the serial numbers down of every firearm I own and send them to the BATFE so when they come to check my safe to make sure the "prohibited person" in my house doesn't have "access" to them they will have an accurate list to confiscate.

:evil:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I use paper. Many many summers ago a friend of mine gave me a copy of his own form to use. I made a hundred copies of it. I've tried to adjust it a bit, but so far it works as is.

I don't trust computers.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

Jay--My computer won't open your sample. ???

Old Ironsides--
I'm making a paper list. Might be a handy thing to have in case some of them happen to walk away. Or perhaps for insurance purposes.

Seems as if it is unwise to not have photos and serial numbers for emergencies.

Not an invite for the Feds to have a metal bending party.
Jay
Levergunner

Post by Jay »

I use the spreadsheet to generate the printout. I have two copies, one in the gun safe, and the other in the safe deposit box.

LeverBar, do you have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer? If so, when you click on the link, a window should open asking you if you want to open the file or save it. Click on open to view it, then use the file menu to "save as" if you want to keep it.
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '66, - May 68

Some of my toys....
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

Tried that. Must not have Excel?

Can you tell, I'm quite the computer wizard!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

LeverBar wrote:Jay--My computer won't open your sample. ???

Old Ironsides--
I'm making a paper list. Might be a handy thing to have in case some of them happen to walk away. Or perhaps for insurance purposes.

Seems as if it is unwise to not have photos and serial numbers for emergencies.

Not an invite for the Feds to have a metal bending party.
HR2640 Became Public Law No: 110-180 on Jan 8.

It's a very real threat at my house.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Cherokee
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Cherokee »

I use a Word file for the basic list of every firearm I've ever owned, then a separate document for each of those firearms that has a basic description, any modifications/gunsmithing work, accessories, Dollars invested, comments or shooting commentary. Some of the detail documents are a couple of pages long. Real careful data is given on the collectable items. Pic's are being added as I get around to it.
God Bless America
NRA Endowment
TSRA Life
SASS
USAR
Ruger & Marlin Accumulator