"the 300 Savage is stupid"...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

"the 300 Savage is stupid"...

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That's a statement made by another member of this board recently. It was after I asked what his m99 was chambered for... give you a clue, its not 300 Savage :lol: We didn't get much past that as the other member that was present chimed in and stated that everything smaller than his .358 Win was stupid :shock: :lol:

I think I know what he meant by "its stupid", but I like it just the same. Anything modern that you can chamber it in can also be chambered in the .308 Win and its siblings.

Yes, after the advent of the .308 Win, the 300 Savage became kind of "stupid", but the way I look at it, it's just about perfect for whitetail and its chambered in some really cool old rifles - like the m99, Rem m8, m81, m340 and Rem 722 to name a few.

So even though its stupid, I still like it and in fact, I just bought an old Rem 722 (which I posted pics of earlier) chambered in this caliber. I cleaned it up, installed a Williams WRS aperture sight and some sling swivels (didn't have any!) and now I've got 4 boxes of loads ready for testing.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "the 300 Savage is stupid"...

Post by Modoc ED »

Oh ye of little faith -- Fred (Old Savage) may well chime in here on the virtues of the .300 Savage and .250-3000 Savage.

There's a good read on the .250-3000 and .300 Savage in the January-February 1972 Rifle Magazine Number 19 and there is a good article on all four Savage rounds in Rifle Magazine's "The Legacy of Lever Guns" Winter 2009 Vol. 2.

Another issue of Rifle Magazine -- June 2009 No. 245 has a lengthy article on the .300 Savage.

.300 Savage: Stupid? No.

Thanks for the post O.S.O.K.. This could turn into a good one.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ED
Yer never too old
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well heck with that sort of thinking. After the 30-06 came out there is a long list of rounds that became stupid i.e. 30-30, 32Win Special, 300Savage, .303brit, 303 Savage, and the list goes on and on. But those old girls still work and put meat in the freezer.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lots of 'stupid' cartridges are pretty fun to shoot.

Plus, if you're hunting with them, since animals can't read, they don't know they're being shot with a 'stupid' cartridge, so they still wind up as dinner guests... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, I think we must assume that our unnamed friend had no experience with one or was just taking poetic license. This one, a 99 EG, works fine and "Ray" dropped a deer with it at 267 yds. He was interested in the meat and though he took many over the years he mounted only this one, a small forked horn. The 99 has a 3x Leupold in Bueller mounts. Velocity is about 2600 fps.

Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

76/444

Post by 76/444 »

I have never met a stupid caliber.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

O.S.O.K. wrote:

Yes, after the advent of the .308 Win, the 300 Savage became kind of "stupid", but the way I look at it, it's just about perfect for whitetail and its chambered in some really cool old rifles . . .
Guess what cartridge served as the basis for development of the 7.62 NATO (308 Win) round?

Yep. 300 Savage.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I wonder WHEN the guy bought his 99 in 358 Win... Was in hind sight... AFTER they became a scarce collectable? Did he replace a stupid 99 in 300?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Now guys, lets not be too hard on him. He really didn't get a chance to explain his comment.... ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

AJMD429 wrote:Image

Lots of 'stupid' cartridges are pretty fun to shoot.

Plus, if you're hunting with them, since animals can't read, they don't know they're being shot with a 'stupid' cartridge, so they still wind up as dinner guests... :wink:
i'm stayin' out of this, but that can sure looks yummy. :shock:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Guess what cartridge served as the basis for development of the 7.62 NATO (308 Win) round?

Yep. 300 Savage.
And the 300 was originally developed to equal the 3006 in a short action levergun... Nice try, but it’s not an 06. but remains a mighty fine round.
What the developers did making the 7.62x51 NATO was move the shoulder forward a tad, and lengthen the neck to aid in feeding through automatic weapons...
The 308 Win holds but 3 grains more water than the 300 Sav... But is loaded to a lot higher pressure level than the 300.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Boy - one beer turns O.S.O.K. inside out. What I said was in regard to the 303 Savage and specifically I said "Who at Savage said Hey lets make the bore .309 but shove a .311 bullet in it". I accumulated a 303 recently and it seems some companies made .308 bullets and others used a large as .312. I know the larger bullet was to get more pressure and velocity with the same powder but the whole idea seems like bizarre thinking. Now when I pulled the 99 from the case O.S.O.K. looked at my rounds on my belt and asked me if it was 300 Savage to which I said "No, that would be a dumb idea" - meaning my rifle is 308 so having 300 Sav ammo on me would be a dumb idea. SO you can all take back the "He doesn't know what he's talking about" comments and take a chill pill. I think Taken out of context and Misinterpreted apply here. Oh - but I won't argue with Ricky's comment about the 358 being the best of the bunch.....
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah see, a little information and it all becomes clear. Statement was quite different than a downing of the 300 Savage.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D It's a great round....easily 250 yard capable. Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I thought my comment was "if it ain't 358 it ain't pelosi". or something like that.
Ricky

DWWC
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Call me crazy, but all of my guns are "stupid". :lol:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

RKrodle wrote:I thought my comment was "if it ain't 358 it ain't ****". or something like that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Well if the 300 is stupid, then the old 30-30 must be downright idiotic??? Like was said, the animal shot with either of them still winds up on the menu!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I 'nevva' met a stupid calibre.

But I've met a number of stupid people.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ray Newman on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Stupid: Incapable of learning
Ignorant: lack of knowledge

Who cares... :roll: :roll: :roll:

LB
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

handirifle wrote:Well if the 300 is stupid, then the old 30-30 must be downright idiotic??? Like was said, the animal shot with either of them still winds up on the menu!
So I guess converting the 30-30 to 30-30 AI is dumb and dumber?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hmmm, Joe, I recall asking what you were hunting with after looking at the rounds in your belt as we were getting ready to go hunt and before I saw your 99 - I said .270? (all's I could see is the case head sticking out) and you said "don't insult me" :lol: and then you pulled out your rifle and I said 300 Savage? and you said "the 300 is stupid" and indicated that your 99 was chambered for 308. This was long before any beers were consumed :D But I have to admit that I was surprised (given my take on what you said) and then Ricky chimed in about the .358... and we laughed and got on with the hunt.

Anyway, that's how I recall the conversation - but again, you really didn't get a chance to explain... so now you did ;)

It would be stupid to put 300's in a 308 chambered 99 :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've been giving serious consideration to a stupid 7mm Mauser...Ratty 100 plus year old junker that it is :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

More thread creep:

I've insulted many a head of game with my .270 Win. It's the original fast magnum, in my opinion. I'm just too stupid not to love it, I guess. :mrgreen: