Elk hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Elk hunting

Post by BigSky56 »

Some times you get them, sometimes you dont today was a dont day. danny

Saddled up my pony and headed up behind my place for a 4 hour ride

Heading up the trail

Ive seen some nice bulls in those avalanche chutes

Was moving along the edge of the clearcut with the wind in my face, the wind changed and the bull winded me and took off for the dark timber I saw him at 100yds for about 1/2 a second sounded like a D6 going down thru the timber he was in his day bed

Back tracked him about half a mile he had been feeding in the clearcut and bedding along the ridge

View of the valley
Last edited by BigSky56 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Elk hunting

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Looks like a good day. meat is a bonus. Nice country, I like it.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Great pix, Big Sky, what a pity that there are millions of Americans who dont even know such places exist. Oh, well, all the more for us! :D
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm jealous!
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Excellent! As always, Danny.

What kind of boots do you wear for winter riding? I've frozen my feet more times than I can count as a kid. I haven't done a lot of winter riding as I'm old enough to drive and don't have to depend on alternate transportation. And, since I've gotten back into horses I haven't done any hunting or cold weather riding. Schee's, Sorels, etc...?
Old Law Dawg
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Thanks for the comments, Kim today I was wearing 8" lacrosse leather insulated boots when it gets colder and snow deeper I wear lacrosse pacs or hoffmans pacs you cant beleive how cold your feet can get in stirrups. danny
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That is my kind of day, Danny. A fellow sleeps well after a day riding and hunting in the mountains.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Great pics Danny,thanks for posting them! Just curious,what rifle did You have in the scabbard?

Allen
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Brng71 my own loads Smoke. danny
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

WOW! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

Who says you have to have a dead elk for a successful hunt? Like was said earlier, elk meat is just the bonus. To be able to live and hunt in big beautiful country like that must be next to living in heaven. God has blessed you beyond belief. Enjoy.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Danny, I know how cold your feet can get riding during the winter. As kids we used to pull tobaggans and inner tubes for hours during the winter for fun and our feet would turn into unfeeling lumps at the end of our legs. I can still remember the pain of them coming back to life once we got back home and started warming them up. Lucky no one ever got frost bit, but usually when the deep freeze hit we didn't go out. There weren't all the high tech materials available back then and even if it was my family wouldn't of been able to afford it. I can afford'em now and was curious as to what works and still fits in standard sized stirrups. I lived in North Dakota for years and know what it takes to keep your feet/body warm, but that wasn't riding a horse.
Old Law Dawg