OT The 470NE finally draws blood!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT The 470NE finally draws blood!

Post by TedH »

Does it count if the rifle gets the blood from the idiot pulling the trigger?

I've fired the 470 double rifle 100 times now. I've shot it off a bench quite a bit while cradled in a Lead Sled while I was working up handloads, and I've shot it from a standing position just practicing. Today I had the not so bright idea to practice shooting from a position that would simulate me sitting on my deer stand.

Lesson learned, 470NE rifle + scope + sitting and shooting withOUT Lead Sled = 1 darn bloody forehead. Image
NRA Life Member
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT The 470NE finally draws blood!

Post by 20cows »

D'ja take pictures?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

C'mon man. We gotta have a picture.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Minus the Scope Ted! :lol:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

mmmm, itmay be that your .470 just needs to be broken in properly, sort of like bustin' a bronco in the old west.
Tell you what, ship that thing down here to me and me and the Honey Creek-Black cat Thicket gang will break it in on hogs for you. Course, it is a real kicker, so we may need to keep it a while to test it on larger critters. :D :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

ouch
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ouch! I bet that left a mark!!! :shock: Ted, I hope your eye is okay!!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

the only time that has happened to me was shooting a T/C contender prohunter in .375 H&H. It hurt like a son of a gun. Sorry for the blooding, especially it bein yours and all. Better luck next time. I have yet to post pics of my 9,3x74R. I'm holding off on mounting a scope so far. I just put sling studs on it and wow was I not happy drilling into that presentation stock.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Those deer in Missouri must be huge :lol:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sorry, no pics. I didn't have a camera with me at the farm. Taking one now wouldn't be much good since the swelling has diminished considerably and the blood has dried up. :lol:

Now I'm thinking about going back to a reduced load. I toyed around with some lighter loads around 1500-1600 fps but they wouldn't regulate. I may just adjust the scope to the right barrel and use it as a single shot. I'm thinking there will be some flinching going on the next time I try to shoot it with the scope on it. :oops:

I love the QD rings on it. Makes it super quick to go from scope to express sights and vice versa, but it puts the scope too close to my noggin for this kind of serious recoil. Maybe I need to rig up a scout scope on it, put it waaaay out there away from my face. :D
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ted, double rifle + scope leads the curious to an obvious question.....,

Grizz
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fold a newspaper up and stuff it in your jacket up on your shoulder, helps lessen how far it comes back.

I watched a feller shoot a 375HH off a bench just like he was shooting a 222, I did give him a hint but he did not grasp it :roll:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

Really, you don't need an elephant thumper to get a swollen eye brow......I managed it with a 25-06!! :mrgreen:
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Grizz wrote:Ted, double rifle + scope leads the curious to an obvious question.....,

Grizz
I guess I'm kind of dense tonight, what question would that be?
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

TedH wrote:
Grizz wrote:Ted, double rifle + scope leads the curious to an obvious question.....,

Grizz
I guess I'm kind of dense tonight, what question would that be?
I'm thinking, why would there be a scope on a double rifle ?

double rifle makes me think of shooting the lion just before it rips off your face; scope full of cat hair would be a liability, wouldn't it?

those kind of questions, can't help it, just wired that way..

Regards,

Grizz
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Grizz wrote: double rifle makes me think of shooting the lion just before it rips off your face; scope full of cat hair would be a liability, wouldn't it?
I used the scope mostly for handload development, and because the rifle was built with integral QD mounts and the scope came with it. But like you say, the express sights would be great for fast shooting at big targets up close, but they do not bring out the excellent accuracy that the rifle is capable of. If I take this thing deer hunting I would much rather have the scope for a 75-100 yard shot, rather than the express sights with a front bead that is so big it would completely cover a deer at that range. On the other hand, if I'm ever fortunate enough to be able to use this rifle for what it was built for, I'll be perfectly happy with the irons. A cape buffalo at 50 yards would be no problem.
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Grizz,

Sounds like your image of the double rifle fits one of its main purposes, a stopping rifle. In the case you mention, open sights certainly would be the best option. Doubles are seperated into two main categories, stopping and stalking. The distinction is around .40 and bigger for stopping, .375 and under for stalking. Often, the double is called to do double duty, camp meat and stopping the big ones, or plains game and well placed shots for larger dangerous game. In either case, the ability for the double to be scoped and take longer, accurate shots makes the rifle more versatile. For instance, my 9,3 should be good on plains game out to say 250 yards. a scope is absolutely essential at that range. Under 50 yards, where the barrels are regulated, I'm fine with the open sights. Ted's .470 is considered a stopping rifle and most often used in that capacity on the largest of game. But using it for Dikar, one of the smallest animals is recommended with solids and the scope would be essential for taking a precise shot on such game. Same thing for whitetail here in the states at greater ranges. Versatility is the name of the game.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Robert Ruark would be proud of you.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks guys, the only real image I have of double guns is the lion stopping scene from Out of Africa. of course the scope aids aiming for longer shots, but I never thought about it. glad to learn something new...

I even know guys with scopes on their GUIDE GUNS for Pete's sake.... same idea I guess. Although a guy I know with a scoped guide gun can shoot the squill's eyeball at a hundred yards with open sights.... oh well

Grizz

:lol:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

A double gun doing double duties, why not :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!